5.0 out of 5 stars Great storage container!!!
Published on July 24, 2012 by rainbobird1

2.0 out of 5 stars NOT Airtight!
Published 13 months ago by Michelle L. Plaia

5.0 out of 5 stars Great storage container!!!, July 24, 2012
This review is from: IRIS Premium Airtight Pet Food Storage, 28-Quart, Black (Misc.)
Ordered this container to store 18 pound bags of dog food. They fit perfect!! If i would pour the dog food out of the bag and store it directly in the container i could get much more to fit in it. I prefer to keep the food in the original bag so when it's empty all i have to do is take the empty bag out and replace it with another bag and not have to worry about washing the container between bags as the oils from the food can become rancid over time. I have several older models of the same container and they have lasted for years--store cat food, dog food and cat litter in them. They are great!! No problems with any bugs invading the food and i know it is always safe and fresh.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than other brands, September 6, 2012
Have had this container for about 2 weeks & am very happy with it keeping the food fresh. Do as the others have suggested & keep the pet food in the original bag - that way the interior stays clean & no accumulation of oils in container.

I did feel the container was a bit pricey so I just ordered one when I really need 2 more. I remembered seeing pet food containers at the Wal Martians & thinking they were about sixteen dollars. Went back there & looked at their pet containers, they had a different brand, one with a blue lid & compared to IRIS brand, theirs had a flimsy lid & several reviews said the lid was not air tight. That was enough for me to come back to Amazon & put in an order for another IRIS container. I intend to purchase another one in the coming weeks.

Upon arrival of my IRIS, I was totally disappointed because I did not think an 18 pound bag of food would fit in there. Well, it was a tight squeeze since I just left the food in the bag & stuffed it in there. But the lid snapped easily & it has been on the back porch where ants are abundant, but so far no ants or other critters have been seen in the container.

Another thing, they are compact & don't take up much room - taller & slim, rather than being wide & short.

Update on the Iris containers - It has been a couple of months & I now have 3 of these containers, one for cat food, one for dog food & one for bird seed. The containers are still air tight & no bugs or staleness of stored product has occured. I believe they come in different sizes for larger bags for whatever you are wanting to store.

Don't settle for second best at the Wal Martians, you will be disappointed.

2.0 out of 5 stars NOT Airtight!, June 18, 2013
I bought this item specifically because it said it was airtight. I live in the Caribbean and anything not airtight is found by the ants... and then they invite everyone else to the party. The ants found this in less than 12 hours and proceeded to eat away the small silicone seal on the inside of the lid. Its a sturdy container; perfect size for what I wanted it for, but not very useful since the most important aspect was for it to be airtight. Disappointed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice but not an amazing seal, September 4, 2012
This container is nice and is versatile but the seal is made of a foam material not a rubber gasket as I had anticipated when purchasing it. This combined with the way the lid snaps doesn't give me as much confidence as I would like that I am getting a true air tight seal with the container.

5.0 out of 5 stars Iris Premium Airtight Pet Food Storage 67 quart ~ PERFECT!, July 13, 2012
Lynn PAWZ (northern MI, USA) - See all my reviews
We have been searching for an airtight container to store our dog's food. Most products are stainless steel and cost over 300 bucks each. I had my doubts about the quality of the Iris plastic containers but trusted the many 5 star ratings from other customers. I am glad I did! We buy high quality dog food that is vacuum sealed in the bag and prior to this purchase all that freshness would be gone in a day or two due to not storing the food correctly. We bought 4 containers. They sit neatly side by side. They each hold the 44 lb bags of food no problem with plenty of room to spare. My only concern would be the plastic hinge, I am worried about it's durability. In our case, it is a non-issue as we put the bins close to the wall, so when opened, the lid leans on the wall and never has any pressure in the open position on the hinge. The wheels are a plus and are sturdy enough to roll 44 lbs of dog food around a smooth concrete floor no problem. All in all ~ Great product!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Dog Food, April 26, 2012
Annette Hernandez (Brooklyn, New York) - See all my reviews
Quality container, which surprisingly included wheels, and held 40 pounds of dog food with room to spare. I also bought the 28-quart for cat food.

2.0 out of 5 stars Easy to break in to., May 16, 2013
Works good if you are going to store it in a space that your pet(s) can't get into. Keeps food fresh and is slim enough to tuck away. The pouring spout is kind of stupid, every time i go to open it, the whole lid comes off. Which doesn't matter to me cause I have to open it to measure my cat's food and just dip the cup inside. To re-seal it you have to push down hard and all around the edges, and it's kind of annoying. I purchased this to place next to my cat's feeding area after she kept ripping apart the bag her food comes in. I don't have a lot of storage area and needed a container she couldn't break into. This is definitely not that container. It bursts open if knocked over. If you have a fat cat that freaks out about food this is definitely not going to help you keep them out. I have to find something that has a locking mechanism.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good Points and Bad Points - Revised (The Bad Points Win Out), November 8, 2013
I am leaving my initial **** review intact, however, please see the end for updates and justification for the negative review.

I bought two IRIS 45-47 quart pet food storage containers about 10 years ago and generally enjoyed them. The reason why I bought two though is that one was not enough to hold a single 40 lb. bag of food. Over the years, the bags of food have decreased from 40 lb. to 33 lb., but the 45-47 quart container was still not big enough to hold them. Both of my containers became damaged over that time (It happens, regular wear and tear), and I finally decided to replace them. Rather than get another one of that size, I decided to get one of these larger 55 quart containers instead.

I'm pleased to report that this larger container can hold an entire 33 lb. bag of food without issue, and for that, it gets high marks from me. There are a few issues with this container though that prevent me from giving it a full five stars. The first issue is that it just feels flimsier than the 45-47 quart model. Thinner plastic I guess, but that makes me think that it may not last as long. The next is that the latching mechanism isn't as convenient as the 45-47 quart model. On those, the latch is attached to the lid, so closing it and sealing it is a single action. On this, the latch is attached to the container, so you have to push the lid down, and then bring the latch up. These may be nit picky types of things, but they are enough for me to give this four stars instead of the five that it would have received if it was simply a 55 quart version of the smaller container.

UPDATE: After having and using this for two months, I've found that the quality is just too low to be worthy of the cost. The wheels don't snap in, so if you pick the container up off the ground, it comes off the wheels. The lid does not fit the hinges too well and easily comes off. Finally, trying to put the wheels back on, the latch broke. I hope I'm able to get the latch replaced, but if not, it's worthless. Even if it does get replaced, I feel that I payed too much for what it is. Get the smaller one.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it!, July 26, 2012
This is great, I love the fact that I don't have to reach into the bag anymore to get the food out or have a bag sitting around. I also ordered the 2 cup scoop. I also can wheel the container over to the food dish because they are not kept together. I love it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Okay, June 29, 2012
The top of this container doesn't stay if you flip it over by accident or on purpose. The pic is misleading and thought it was big enough to hold bird seed but it's not. If you looking for dog food holder or bird seed holder order a size larger for sure.

Rate and Discover Movies