Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: CDN IRL220 InstaRead Large Dial Cooking Thermometer
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

on January 31, 2013
I tried this out for the first time tonight. What a disappointment. Talk about WAY OFF, this thing isn't even in the ballpark. Test 1: Boneless BBQ chicken - I cooked this the usual amount of time on the usual BBQ. I used this thermometer in the center of the meat. It read 112 deg. F. Not seeming right, I pulled out my digital thermometer which read 166 deg. F in the same spot (ah, just right!). I ate the chicken. Test 2: pot of boiling water - it's not exactly true to say that water always boils at 212 F. That's only "pure" water at sea level. I live at about 3000 ft. above sea level where the theoretical boiling point of water is 206 deg. F. This thermometer reads 180 deg. F. My digital one says 207. I believe the digital one. Now comes the "calibration." There's a nut on the back of this thermometer. You can turn it, which essentially turns the readout face. So, sure, I can get this thing to read 207deg. F in the boiling water, but it now thinks the ambient temperature in my house is 116 degrees when it's actually 68. Okay, if I had a source of 155 degree temperature I could set this thing to match it, and then it would be relatively close in the range of cooked meats, but why bother? "Accurate within 2 degrees" and "can even be recalibrated"? I don't think so. Back to the seller it goes.
on November 20, 2012
I ordered this thermometer to replace my standard dial thermometer that sits in the oven over the duration of the cooking time. This is NOT the same type of thermometer. You CANNOT leave this one in the oven while your food cooks. This is evident when you read the usage instructions and observe that the temperature dial plate is made of plastic and not glass.

I use this to periodically check the temperature of meat during the cooking process - be it sauteing, broiling, roasting, grilling, searing, etc. While I love the concept of the the thermometers you leave in the oven, I find in practice that they are not very reliable. This thermometer is accurate and quick to register temperature. My gripe about this method is it can involve opening the oven and removing the food to the temperature and thus lowering the oven temperature and pro-longing the cooking process. I also make a point to probe the meat in the same place as if you do not, you end up loosing a lot of the juices during the cooking process. The probe is long enough for all but the largest cuts of meat. I have used it on large turkeys, chickens, prime rib roasts, pork tenderloins, and temperature registered reflected level of done-ness accurately.

Thanks for taking the time to read my review, and I hope you found it helpful in making a purchase decision.
on May 25, 2008
I HAVE USED THIS FOR APX. ONE YEAR & I'M VERY HAPPY WITH PERFORMANCE. LOVE THE LARGE DIAL VERY EASY READING. BOTH THE AMAZON DESCRIPTION & THE PACKAGING LABEL INDICATE THIS IS NOT INTENDED TO LEAVE IN OVEN, SO THE PREVIOUS BAD REVIEW ISN'T APPROPRIATE. CLEANS EASILY - I HAND WASH & DON'T LEAVE SUBMERGED IN WATER SO NO CONDENSATION INSIDE. GOOD PRICE TOO.
on January 27, 2013
The thermometer that I got doesn't work properly. Instead of the dial rising steadily, it jumps and skips. It makes it very hard to determine the actual temperature because you never know if it's done jumping around or not, and if it is, whether or not it's reading the actual temperature or rounding up or down.

It suffices on a very basic level (it will ensure you don't poison anyone, so long as the needle jumps over the proper temperature reading) but doesn't work at all for cooking a roast or steaks to medium. I've already accidentally overcooked more than a few dishes because of mistaken readings on the thermometer. I'll be replacing it as soon as possible.
on February 15, 2013
I've used this thermometer twice so far, and both times I've ended up with overcooked meat/poultry as a result. The temperature reading is at least 20-30 degrees below what it should be. Last night I wound up with a filet mignon that was medium when the temperature reading according to this thermometer was no higher than rare. The previous time, it kept saying my chicken wasn't getting to 165. The chicken had been cooking forever so I found this hard to believe, so I decided to cut into the chicken and it was dry and overcooked. Also takes a loooong time to even get a reading. Would definitely not recommend this product.
on April 24, 2013
I bought this thermometer because I put my wife's previous thermometer into the oven and then closed the oven door to read the thermometer through the oven window. I quickly found out that most of these thermometers have a plastic face...but that's beside the point.

The point is, this thermometer isn't even close to being accurate. Last night I placed it in the middle of thickest end of a boneless chicken breast. It read a steady locked in 140. I placed two digital thermometers and one dial-type thermometer into the same breasts. All three of those read 178-179.

I would not recommend this Chinese built thermometer.
on November 25, 2012
simple little thermometer - who needs anything more complicated. works as required with no batteries or other things that might fail.
on October 15, 2015
This has been great for checking temps and confirming that food is cooked fully, or to the desired temp. I smoke a lot of foods, love to BBQ and do whole pig roast or two every year and I've used this every time. When used next to the electronic Maverick or DigiQ thermometer's it's been within a degree.
on April 24, 2013
First, I will state that I bought this thermometer for candlemaking and other crafts, not for cooking. (As you can see, it only goes up to 220, so it's obviously not suitable for a candy thermometer; and the cover is plastic, so you can't keep it in the oven if you want to measure internal temperatures.) That being said, it seems reasonably accurate--more or less the same as a digital thermometer I also had. Unlike that one, however, this one requires no batteries, and was not noticeably slower or faster at arriving at a stable temperature reading than my old digital one (maybe 20 seconds or so, but my case might be unusual since I'm immersing as much of the probe as I can into wax at the bottom of a large pitcher).

All things considered, this thermometer was cheap, seems to be accurate, and requires no batteries (don't underestimate that advantage, particularly given the odd sizes most digital ones use). Finally, it's simple enough that I can see it lasting for a while. My only wish is that I wish the probe were longer, but perhaps that would affect the accuracy of the reading.
on February 26, 2014
Are you kidding me!!!!!! They used PLACTIC to cover the dial. I looked into the oven to see the temp, and WTF,,,, THE COVER WAS MELTED!!!!! This is the worse PIECE OF CRAP EVER.... But Amazon refunded my money...

UPDATE: After I read the fine print and in all fairness,,,, it does say not to leave it in the meat. So take the risk burning of yourself and singeing your eyebrows, to check the meat temp from time to time while cooking. I never heard of anything so ridiculous??? I'm still giving it 1 star...