Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
What an amazing little gadget! After charging the device I took it out on the course. I compared it with my SkyCaddie SGX. The first thing I tested was how fast it detected satellites, one of my peeves with the SGX. It took just as long as the SGX but, if you turn it off and on again on the same location, it will get its act together faster than the SGX that needs to go through all its satellite detecting rigmarole every time it is turned on.

Next topic is accuracy. Its distances are within one or two yards of the SGX and the yardage markers. Since the error favors the SGX as often as the SWAMI wrist watch I consider them equal in this respect.

Third is speed at providing the yardage; and important factor if trying to play on a crowded municipal course on a weekend. I take my hat off to the SWAMI as it usually decided on the yardage a few seconds before the Skycaddie.

Of course it is not the same thing. For one, the SWAMI gives you the distance to the front, center and back of the green while the Skycaddie will also tell you the distance to obstacles, and distance needed to clear. In addition, the SGX has a nice screen where you can find the distance to any desired point. But if comparing this device to the simpler GPS models, with no image screen, it performs really well.

Next: Ease of use. The device comes with a simple manual that I skimmed through. It is easy to set up, and also to use. It has a shot distance mode and a scoring mode that I did not use. I took the manual with me on the course but did not need to use it. The device moves smoothly from hole to hole without needing any input. The device is larger than a wristwatch, but lighter than many watches, it is comfortable to play with and is water resistant, important since it is more exposed than a handheld GPS unit.

One caveat, the large buttons are easy to handle but also easy to press inadvertently and you may find yourself with a distance that makes no sense. I was shocked when it was giving me a 400+ yardage o a par three. A glance at the screen told me it had moved to a different hole.

The battery lasted through the round and the indicator showed about half charge after I finished. It will recharge rapidly from a wall socket and, more slowly through the USB port in your computer.

It comes with more than 25,000 preloaded courses with no subscription required. There is an easy way to change the front and back distances, useful if a green at a given course changes as there is no way to get updates for the unit.

It will not replace my SkyCaddie but it is a great device, particularly useful in a par three or for a quick round on a course that you already know. My wife really liked its ease and speed of use.
TOP 50 REVIEWERon October 10, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Overall, this is a very nice golf GPS for the price. I was a little worried about it being too complicated to use, but the manual explains all the features in reasonably good detail. I found it helpful to keep the manual with me the first couple of times I used it on the course to refer to, but after a few outings I felt comfortable using it.

I had an initial problem with the battery life in that it quit on me after about an hour of use. After leaving it in the charging cradle overnight, the next time it maintained its charge for a full afternoon's use. I've used it (and recharged it) several times since then and have had no problems, so it seems the first time was just a momentary glitch (or perhaps I didn't seat the charging cable firmly enough).

I very much like that it does not require a subscription to use, nor does it need to be tethered to a PC for the initial setup. It has a pretty extensive database of courses (Izzo says on their website that they cover 90% of the courses in the US). You can use their website to look up a course to see if it is included in the database.

Sat acquisition times is quick - took only a few minutes to get a lock and find my course the first time I used it. Acquisition time was even faster on subsequent uses. It uses a SiRF Star III receiver.

The display is clear even in sunlight, but it is a bit small for me. I don't usually have my reading glasses with me when I'm outdoors, so seeing the distance numbers took quite a bit of squinting. Granted, if you don't have aging eyes you won't find that to be a problem, but it would have been nice to have a larger display.

I also didn't find it all that comfortable to wear. It is lightweight and not too thick, but the strap was not very comfortable. Plus the greenish/yellow accent color (found on the inside of the strap and the sides of the unit) didn't appeal to me much - rather garish looking to my eye.

The warranty is only 90 days, which I think is too short given the price -- a year would be more appropriate.

But those are minor quibbles. Overall, the functionality is great - quick to acquire sats, accurate distances and straightforward to use. Considering the price of other brands, such as Garmin, this is a great value. Definitely should be on the short list if you're shopping for a golf GPS.

[As an aside, it's a real bear to the product out of the clamshell packaging. I didn't' factor that into the rating, but set aside some time to wrestle it out of the plastic jail it comes in should you buy one.]
on November 8, 2012
In May I purchased and used an Izzo Swami 3000. It kept shutting down everytime it received the least bump or knock. I finally solved this by applying a layer of foam tape across the back of the unit.

Still, it was awkward on the course aligning the unit with my ball, reading the distance and replacing the unit on my bag without jarring it at all.

So, I purchased the Izzo watch. It is a bit large but it is not so large as to be cumbersome or interfering with my swing (of course, with my swing there are probably very few things that could cause anything but an improvement).

The convenience of simply turning on the unit at the course and reading the distances is unbeatable. The ease and value of being able to accurately measure the actual distance of every shot on the course is exceptional! Finally, an easy and practical way to dial in every club in a real world experience!

It took a bit of hit and miss to figure out how to use the score keeping feature but even tech impaired I eventually figured it out.

One other issue I came across was that once I completed the round and left the area of the course I can't refer back to the scorecard. I guess I'll have to continue to rely on 19th century technology and carry a pencil and card.

For the price, simplicity of use and the accuracy I haven't seen anything close.

Would I recommend this to my friends? Never! I don't want any of them sharing this advantage on the course. They hardly let me play with them as it is, and I'm the guy that gets all of the tee times!!!!!
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This golf GPS watch is a great idea. Golfers have enough to lug around without having to carry a hand-held GPS, too, so to have one strapped to your wrist is a great convenience. The watch is a little bulky for a woman's wrist, perhaps, but for a man it's just right.

The beauty of this watch is that you don't have to buy anything else. It comes pre-loaded with a huge database of courses worldwide, including about 90% of the courses in the U.S. If you want to check if your favorite courses are included before purchase, you can look them up on the IZZO web site ahead of time so there's no disappointment. As other reviewers have suggested, however, you need to charge it overnight to be sure the battery has enough juice to do the job.

This watch can actually replace your regular watch. It has date/time, alarm, and odometer functions that are useful even off the course. It would make a nice gift for the golfer in your family.
on April 26, 2013
Verified Purchase
I checked some of the golf courses before I bought, even an executive one in Peoria, they were all there. I got it and it was great. The price is better than others and I would match it up against the very expensive ones.
on March 11, 2013
All of the distances at Hilton Head National are wrong. The only Sea Pines course listed is Harbour Town , the Ocean Course and The Heron are not listed.
Only two of the three nine holes at Riverwood in Clayton, NC are listed
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 25, 2012
Verified Purchase
I have a Garmin and ordered the IZZO for my wife because it looked more colorful and like what she might want. It is much too large even for a larger person. We're returning it and we have ordered a Garmin.
on October 27, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The IZZO Swami Golf GPS and WATCH is a newer version of the Swami that slips on your wrist. My husband has always used a hand held version but tried this one out. He was happy with it, but still prefers the standard golf GPS (the Swami 4000...see my other review). He did, however, give it a good review for those who might not want to carry a handheld device (though none of his golfing buddies said they would use it on their wrist and would likely keep it on their bag instead, which is not as convenient). Here are the pluses/minuses:

1. The preloaded courses include our small town country club, and every other course he has entered so far, and there is no need for a subscription or download. The course map is easily edited, if necessary.

2. Has a bright, easy to read display, but the display is smaller than a handheld. It does show the front, center and back of the green.

3. It is accurate to about 3 yards as tested at the course, and as long as it is with you it advances to the next hole as you walk (auto-hole advance feature).

4. One charge holds a long time, so that a whole weekend of play is possible before recharging. However, it does require a long charge time when down (he plugs his in overnight for the next day).

5. It includes a watch feature and odometer so you can keep track of the time and steps taken, though my husband and his friends all concluded that they would not like to have this on their wrist during swings, so it is not as convenient as it might sound.

6. This version of GPS is not as user-friendly as the hand-held, as the docking station for the charge is a little tricky and it is not as intuitive. The user guide was helpful, but he did have to read it to find out how to work all of the functions since there are multiple small buttons for multiple processes.

Overall, my golfer says this is a nice GPS and he would give it a thumbs up for the golfer who wants a wrist type version. But, he more definitely recommends the hand-held version himself.
on April 23, 2013
Verified Purchase
When you go to the website to see the courses that are uploaded you feel like most of the courses in your area will be accessible on the watch.... That is not the case. I would say there is a 50/50 chance that the course you are looking for is on the list of courses that show up on the Swami Watch. However, when i does recognize the course you are looking for, it can be a great tool to use.
on April 10, 2013
Verified Purchase
The selling point of this GPS is that they have 90% of US Golf courses already downloaded and could be easily picked up by satellite once you get on the course. Well, I charged it up and took it out on the course and it couldn't pick up the course I was on. It listed only about 4 of the courses on the island of Oahu, Hawaii and one was a muni/city course and another was a par 3 course!
I emailed the company but have not gotten a response back, so I'm thinking of returning the item because it's no good to me if it doesn't pick up the courses where I live or if I have to pay extra to get the major courses in our state.

The company did respond and after following directions on downloading the courses, the GPS works great (the distances are pretty accurate-even against a more expensive scope!) There still are a few negatives-need a PC to download (I have a Mac but luckily my son has a PC), takes a while to link with a satellite and it is a little bulky for me (but I guess that is to be expected). All in all, I do recommend it to all my golf buddies because it is a good product, especially for the price.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...