Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

Format: HardcoverChange

on June 10, 2012
In attorney Jackie Swaitkowski, Chris Knopf has created one of the most believable and engaging heroines in crime fiction. Jackie is strong, stubborn, and feisty without being masculine or abrasive. Her ability to do a cynical job without cynicism is admirable, and her optimistic belief in human nature endearing. When a distant relation by marriage is murdered and a client of Jackie's the prime suspect, Jackie is torn between her loyalty to family and her duty to a client whose innocence she is beginning to doubt. As expected, her investigation leads her into danger, but it also leads her to come to terms with her own vulnerabilities and the emotional shell that both protects and imprisons her. Those familiar with Knopf's popular Sam Aquillo series will recognize old friends Sam, Eddie, Burton, and Harry, but from a fresh new perspective. ICE CAP is an enjoyable and finely crafted mystery, one you won't want to miss.
on June 27, 2012
I know when I read a Jackie Swaitkowski novel that I'm in for a thrilling ride that I don't want to see end. In this case, Jackie defends her client against a murder charge that involves a member of her deceased husband's family. And the fun begins as Jackie pursues her case with her usual aplomb but runs into some tumbling blocks that may put her in harm's way. One of the things I love about this book is the comfortable tone the author presents. There are so many twists and turns in who-did-what-to-whom that kept me guessing until far into this intriguing mystery. Jackie is such a fun character that you can't' help but love her eccentricities as she navigates the world she lives in the pursuit of justice. Harry, Joe and Sam also make appearances as Jackie's trusted friends. With this great cast, excellent dialogue and the beautiful setting of the Hamptons (in the winter), this was one of the best book in this wonderfully exciting series.
on June 23, 2012
I first discovered Chris Knopf through the Sam Acquillo series, and I am totally charmed by his heroine, Jackie Swaitkowski, in Ice Cap. Jackie is a lawyer you can like, working for a pro bono firm in the Hamptons. She is feisty, smart, funny, and vulnerable, and Knopf does a wonderful job in charting her adventures on the icy roads of Long Island, trying to solve a murder that her client is almost obviously guilty of. This is a good story, Sam makes a not so small cameo appearance, and I was carried along with the pace. Chris Knopf has become a must read for me.
on June 11, 2012
Chris Knopf can really write, and his female sleuth, Long Island lawyer Jackie Swaitkowski, is a smart, feisty, vulnerable character that you'll love to root for. Another fine installment in this fine series.
on November 12, 2013
A new role for Jackie, another homicide, and more misadventures through Jackie-style investigating, this time she is armed and knows how to use it. My day job would be following the $2 million, but maybe that is for a sequel. Unexpected twists make tagging along with Jackie that much more interesting, as I suspect Harry has found for himself. The historic satellite imagery would be helpful in real life investigations.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 14, 2012
Jackie drives a Volvo, but she hardly ever mentions it. Other than that, good book, interesting plot, uses some cool tech stuff, with a little surprise at the end.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 24, 2012
This particular series of Chris Knopf mysteries is beginning to read like the alphabet detective books, T is for (whatever). That wasn't my first exposure to the technique of using repetitive descriptions of clothing, cars, weather, etc. to flesh out the books, but I liked the them anyway. There also was a series with a Polish, female detective a number of years ago, V. I." Warshawski, which had a similar technique as does the Robicheaux series based in Louisiana. It's always the same. I'm not really complaining, but I stopped reading all of them after awhile because it felt like padding. However, the quality of Chris Knopf's other books and characters is wonderful. I've read them all and enjoyed them very much. I wish he would do the same thing with Ms.Swaitkowski. I enjoyed the 1st one, but I returned this last one for a refund about a 1/3 into it.

This is not politics or religion; it's just my humble opinion.
33 comments0 of 1 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse