4.0 out of 5 stars Decent feel-good sports film, a few extras (2010 version)
Quite a few requests for this all week so I had to give it a screening try in the store - and it actually fared quite well. Overall, the rookie acting performances and beautiful professional skating made for a nice film with only a few cliches and a nice message.

Published on February 8, 2010 by Steve Kuehl

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Family Movie
After reading many of the reviews, I almost passed this movie by. I am a fan of the first Ice Castles so decided to give it a shot. I think the remake was well done. Yes, some of the backstory was omitted or slightly changed, but I did appreciate the transformation out of the 70's into the present.

The acting was not exactly top-notch, nor was it in the...
Published 21 months ago by D. Tietz

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent feel-good sports film, a few extras (2010 version), February 8, 2010
This review is from: Ice Castles (DVD)

The story follows a young skater as she decides to compete, facing the usual obstacles of peer cat fighting, a long distance relationship, and personal sacrifices aggravated by a life changing disability. The topics get grazed over, sometimes too fast to have a huge emotional impact, but the ending success and competent young love story make for an enjoyable watch. The video quality is solid, and the 5.1 gets used more than one would think for a film like this. The supplements include:

* Behind the scenes, 12:53 minutes. A thorough look into the production, skating/acting mixes, and other assorted material without delving too much into the original work.
* Deleted scenes, play all option of 4 scenes totaling 6:38 minutes. All character stuff, which was too bad since this was her only acting performance, so all of the skating was left in the film.

English, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Thai with subs in the same with some Chinese and Korean also. Feels a little Lifetime-ish but they did this remake just in time for the Olympics, enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved It!, March 19, 2010
Loves to Cook (Mililani, HI USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ice Castles (DVD)
I also saw the older version of this movie and I like this one better. It's such a heart-warming, tear-jerker movie that any caring person would love.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, clean movie, July 16, 2011
This review is from: Ice Castles (DVD)
This movie is really moving. No sex, maybe one or two instances of language, and no attitude problems, other than a bout of depression on the main character's part after losing her eye-sight (who wouldn't?) Definitley some kissing (one time they tousle in the snow in a snow-fight, landing on top of each other), but clean other wise. It's really touching and a person who values a clean, beautiful, inspiring movie will love this. The theme song sung by Britt Nicole is beautiful (previous reviewer: off-key singing?? Not a chance, Britt Nicole nails it) and definitley one I'll buy. Will one day own this for sure. Special features include the preview for the 70's original. This spectacularly peaceful remake is more than just a remake, it's really the real-deal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, clean movie!, July 19, 2013
This review is from: Ice Castles (DVD)
This movie is very entertaining, especially for pre-teen and teen girls who like nice stories without the trash. I equate it to an "American Girl Movie" type of story and production. There is no bad language or inappropriate scenes in it. The plot and story are basically the same as the 1978 movie, but it is much "nicer" all around from the characters' appearances, language, and settings. I highly recommend it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Family Movie, October 14, 2012
This review is from: Ice Castles (Amazon Instant Video)

The acting was not exactly top-notch, nor was it in the original. The storyline still on the quirky side, but the skating footage is excellent and I still find it to be a good family movie!

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the original, March 5, 2011
This review is from: Ice Castles (DVD)
I just sat and watched both this version and the original with my almost 6 year old niece... let me rephrase that... I watched this one with her and the original alone. She loved this movie and so did I. She will totally be getting this for her birthday.

I actually liked this version better than the original. It was easier to follow, had more focus on the skating, and was not as cheesy (yes, I do realize that's how it was back then) and opposed to many other remakes that add extra sex and swearing, this one had less... making it totally appropriate for young girls! She has told me numerous times that she would love to ice skate, and she was enamored with the girls on the ice.

I can't wait to give it to her for her birthday in April! I only wish I could afford the skating lessons for her!!

Updated:

So, I gave her the movie for Easter. Her mom called tonight and said that they all watched it last night, and that this afternoon, all she has done is sit and fast forward to the parts where they are skating. Her mom asked if we knew of any place around here that gave lessons! I also gave her a pair of roller blades for her Birthday so she could start practicing. This movie and skating is ALL she talks about, and I can't wait to see her on the ice!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ice Castles -Love it!, March 19, 2010
FABS (Mount Uniacke NS) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ice Castles (DVD)
This was a great movie- I love all the familiar Nova Scotia scenes, and being able to recognize local people as extras. It made the movie interesting on another level, in addition to a wonderful story line.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ice Castles Remake Just As Good As Original, February 23, 2010
This review is from: Ice Castles (DVD)
This movie was so good. This movie had heart and even though it's a remake of the original which I never saw I did loved this movie. I was just lucky it came to me at my public library during the Olympics because I think it made it more enjoyable, seeing the real thing on television and then watching it on DVD. If you have never seen the original or if you have then I highly recommended either buying it or renting from your video store. You won't be sorry either way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 1, 2014
This review is from: Ice Castles (DVD)
I bought this for my mother. She loves it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice remake of the movie from 1978, May 5, 2014
This review is from: Ice Castles (Amazon Instant Video)
Interesting concept about being able to get bck up again in the game. tough when blindness is involved. If there's a will there's a way.

Ice Castles
Ice Castles by Donald Wrye (DVD - 2010)
$9.99 $5.00