The "Ice and Fire" series is "DONE!" ??

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-18 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 19, 2012 12:19:46 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 12:26:40 PM PST
J. Whelan says:
Over time, I have noticed a number of disappointed and outraged 1-star reviews (as well as a few fake-but-supremely-satisfied 5-star reviews) where the reviewer (whether disappointed or phony) is apparently under the impression that this series was supposed to finish with the 5th book.

At first, I was confused as to where reviewers could have gotten this impression. GRRM has never promised 5 books. Years ago, he was once promising a 4-book series, but then he switched to projecting 6 books, then to 7, which remains the current projection. He never projected 5.

But then it dawned on me. It's GRRM's "ICE AND FIRE UPDATE" on his website (it is not called a "DANCE WITH DRAGONS UPDATE"). If one clicks on it, to see how he is progressing with the series, you see the giant word DONE!, followed by a picture of the 5th volume, as though that volume represents Ice & Fire's completion.

At first, I thought it a mistake. Originally, of course, this merely meant that DANCE was done. But I tried to post about the potential for confusion on the WESTEROS forum where there are many people with access to GRRM who can alert him to the problem. My post was immediately deleted, and I was immediately banned from the forum. I received no explanation in response to emails. Months have now passed, and the misleading "update" remains in place.

So does this mean that GRRM, or at least his evil minions, WANT the update to confuse potential readers?

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 1:14:23 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 1:37:42 PM PST
N. R. Briggs says:
It's a diversion, to keep the KGB off GRRM's trail. Ever since his work with the Soviets just before their fall, they haven't stopped looking for him since the disappearance of nuclear physicist Roman Kechoslav, an aspiring young writer that George met in 1987. The man has not been seen since, yet it is purported that GRRM underwent many physical changes during this time.

I'm not saying George is a Commie, but... he DID vote for Obama.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 4:23:42 PM PST
J. Whelan says:
Ah Briggs, you big meanie! You are mocking my conspiracy theory.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 8:49:16 AM PST
BostonBoy says:
I personally think he is done, he may keep the facade up for a few years and ride this puppy for as long as it will carry him, but I doubt there will be a book 6, much less a book 7. I don't think there is a conspiracy rather a lack of interest. GURM has moved on to richer pastures at HBO (and if we weren't such nerds we would move on too)... This series ended at book three...

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 11:04:15 AM PST
T. Delaveaux says:
Yeah. GRRM hasn't been an author for a decade at least. It you look at what he's produced during that time it is crystal clear.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 8:00:54 PM PST
Twenty bucks says that Winds of Winter comes out by 2020

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2012 6:19:37 PM PST
That is precisely how I feel. The third one was the last one worth reading and he killed off or scattered everyone I had orginally cared about anyway so there isn't much incentive to prolong the agony.

Posted on May 10, 2013 10:02:23 PM PDT
Perhaps it wouldbe for the best!He should have never based the series totally on ASOIAF .It should have been based on the events leading up to the crowning of Robert Baratheon the first.From the Defiance of Duskendale and the Tourney of Harrenhall ,to the kidnapping of Lyanna Stark, to the War of the Usurper , to the events of the Tower of Joy.It would have allowed the series to enhance the story line.Keep people interested in the books when the story starts to drag like its' doing now.

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2013 6:00:06 PM PDT
Liz says:
If he would actually use the White Walkers and the dragons he started writing about, he would have a great story. A prequel wouldn't be a bad idea if he could finish the original story.

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2013 12:04:52 AM PDT
I beg to differ. Considering the last two books - or rather: ADWD in particular, I think, his finishing the story is more of a threat than a reward.

So, by all means, let's have a prequel (preferably not written by GRRM).

Posted on May 14, 2013 6:30:43 AM PDT
TallTale1004 says:
I hate prequels with a passion, so I hope it never happens.

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2013 10:35:46 AM PDT
Liz says:
At this point I don't care whether if he finishes anything or spontaneously combusts while sitting in front of his Commodore 64 or whatever archaic piece of technology he uses to write. He could have done something great with the elements he set up in the first book and he blew it. The disappointed fans are hoping he's going to magically return to the old way if/when the next book comes out but we all know it will be another bloated carcass that will never see the editor's desk before publication. We might as well have the entire story written by anyone else at this point.

Posted on May 14, 2013 1:57:25 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 14, 2013 1:58:41 PM PDT
Let's just hope that the HBO show gives us the ending we've all been clamoring for over the past decade or so. That's really the only realistic option we have left.

Oh yeah, lets hope they edit the hell out of AFFC and ADWD and that Dany is on her way to Westeros at the end of this season.

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2013 12:41:07 AM PDT
If they put Dany back on her way to Westeros by the end of this season, I'm gonna start watching the show again (I left last year in mid-season 2). More: I'm gonna buy the effing thing!

I don't have much hope, though. TV series are usually not layed out to bring a story to an end.

Posted on May 16, 2013 2:44:34 PM PDT
Jason E says:
Here's my prediction: Sometime within the next year or two GRRM will announce that he will not publish any more books in the series but instead will devote his (limited) time to helping HBO complete the series in another two or three seasons following their adaptation of book 5. There will be much fawning by the loyal fans and praising of his genius for devising such a clever plan.

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2013 10:48:13 AM PDT
< There will be much fawning by the loyal fans and praising of his genius for devising such a clever plan. >

RaLinda would be furious. They already hate the show, and I'm sure their crap ASOIAF-opedia wouldn't sell nearly as well.

Posted on May 17, 2013 11:13:15 PM PDT
T. Delaveaux says:
I don't think GRRM will openly abandon the book series that early. The longer he pretends he's going to write another book, the stronger the gravy train will move. This franchise is at an incredible peak of popularity right now; they're going to want to make it keep looking like it's healthy on all fronts.

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2013 5:52:21 AM PDT
Wait! What?

The thingy sells already?? I must have been out of the loop for longer than I thought, last thing I heard, it's still not ready ...
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  12
Total posts:  18
Initial post:  Dec 19, 2012
Latest post:  May 18, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
A Dance with Dragons
A Dance with Dragons by George R. R. Martin (Hardcover - 2011)
3.9 out of 5 stars   (7,613)