Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: DVD|Change

on August 22, 2007
For me, the greatest thing in science fiction is the positive portrayal of working class folks. Here they are in real life, in a very well-done series.

The truckers are really good guys, and their forays onto the ice roads are true adventures. The videographers share the danger, and the ups and downs of the 2-months when the lakes are frozen and the trucks try to get everything to the Canadian diamond mines before the ice melts again.

I think it's a nice touch that they put the most unassuming character on the cover!
on January 2, 2008
I really got into this show. I wanted to know how everyone turned out, and that they all were safe in the end. One thing that really bugs me, is the bleeping of the swear words. Just like Ramsey's Kitchen shows. This is the man and this is how he talks. These are plain, rough, hard working guys and this is how they talk to each other and probably around their homes, unless the "little Woman" puts a clamp on them. Let it go, or at least on the dvd's an uncut/ uncensored version should be offered. Just like Rap music, they would probably find the uncut/uncensored would sell tons more that the annoyingly bleeped version. If it is bleeped, I won't be buying it. sorry folks. Some of the guys say they are being reconized down here in the lower 48, but this show hasn't been shown yet in Canada, so they are not reconized yet in their own stomping grounds. A way better live show than bogus Survivor... This is Really for Real. A+++
55 comments| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 26, 2008
Ice Road Truckers is a daring delight. I watched this show with my son, who is also a trucker. Much to our surprise, this show was absolutely spell bounding.
on January 9, 2008
2/29/2008

This is one of the better little jewels to come along in a while. I liken it to the Deadliest Catch series, not in terms of danger and risk (nothing can top DC for that), but because it is one of those small little-known niche jobs that relatively few know about, has been going on for decades, and to a newcomer like this reviewer, is just jaw-dropping.

For a time there was a forum on the IRT website for fans to discuss this show. I was able to read it for roughly one week before history.com pulled it. It was surprising to see several individuals, each claiming they worked the Ice Roads or lived in the vicinity, venting their anger over this show. They complained about the "hyping" done by the show in order to garner viewers, making the truckers out to be something they are not, and leaving out some key individuals and companies who made Ice Roads a reality. None of their arguments seemed plausible to me. Nevertheless, it did raise a question about the season I had just watched.

As someone who has never driven BUT HAS rode in a semi while pulling a load, if anyone challenged me with the chance to earn some good bucks for two month's worth of hauling loads, BUT, "there's one thing: You will be hauling 25 to 50 ton loads across ice covered lakes, with sub-zero conditions.", I would tell them they were insane.

That is the real point, and that's what makes this an awesome series. If there was any hype or leaving something out, it was never peceivable to this reviewer. In fact, when you actually "see" a tanker truck sitting there, with its rear wheels sunk three feet into the ice, any arguments made about hype is made null and void. True, they do have IR trucking down to a science now, with the accident rate being close to that on asphalt; however that IS MENTIONED on the DVDs. Even if the risk was zero, it would not dampen the thoughts of "what if". It has happened before.

Also mentioned in the forums were discussions about the locals being unhappy with the show's producers---so much so that the conflict may result in the show not coming back again. If so, this is one viewer who would miss it. That being said, if you visit the IRT pages on history.com, there is no mention of a Season 2. For those who have never seen it, if you like reality-type shows, I recommend that you purchase this sight unseen. You will not be dissappointed.

Finally, regarding the technical issues I have experienced with History Channel DVD's, I DO have my equipment connected correctly, and THERE ARE very large black borders around the picture. I actually have about 4 (our of 375 single/box-sets) with this same problem. Two are from the History Channel. Either most people do not notice this, and/or they do not consider it a nuisance, and/or it occurs only with a small number of equipment configurations. It is a peeve however---if anyone reading this has any resources to research the issue, I would appreciate it.

1/9/2008

This is an early review, primarily technical.

Having just finished the first DVD of the collection, my first reaction is one of disgust. This is the second DVD series I've purchased with the "History Channel" logo (the other is "The Race To The Moon"). Each is in widescreen format, however it is minimized on my television---there are thick 6 to 10 inch black borders surrounding the image on every side. Zooming the image, either via the TV or the DVD player, cause the image to be cropped significantly around every edge of the image.

What's up with this? The results are the same on my Sony and Samsung DVD players. The only other DVD with this problem in my collection is Independence Day. Note that my collection comprises roughly 375 DVD's.

The actual show is awesome, and I hope to return later and focus on that, however this problem is extremely irritating and worthy of warning the rest of you potential buyers.

This is an early review, primarily technical.

55 comments| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 16, 2008
I actually purchased this DVD after viewing a couple of episodes of the second season. The first season was entertaining and gave an accurate portrayal of life in the artic circle. I can see this series only running for maybe two or three seasons before it is discontinued though due to the repeatative theme of the show (hauling loads of cargo across the ice). If I could offer one suggestion, that would be for an uncensored version of the DVD without the profanity bleeps.
on January 18, 2008
I bought this for my husband as a Christmas gift because he loves this kind of thing (and I don't) but I actually got drawn in and thought it was really good.
on May 14, 2014
I remember when this show first aired and I thought it was awesome. I've been a truck driver for 14yrs this July and there's no way I could do that. I have a lot of respect for all those drivers and their families. Be safe my brothers and sisters of the IRT family.
on September 10, 2007
I don't typically watch live television (TIVO) but I happened to catch one episode of Ice Road Truckers to see what the hype was all about and fell flat out in LOVE with these men. I really like big trucks anyway and am debating getting a CDL so I found it extremely interesting to see some of what goes on in the frozen world of cargo hauling. This is a must see for everyone. I also sell cable and tell many of my customers to watch this show and have had call backs from them raving....once again LOVE this show. I am ordering this first season now for my parents, if they can watch NASCAR I am sure they will enjoy this more than I did.
on March 21, 2014
Review title tells it all, the same stories as the first time they aired but with all the vulgarities that were bleeped out the first time. Husband loves it and is making his way through the episodes steadily.
on February 10, 2013
I started with this season and now i have all of them that have come out! I love watching them over and over again. I always watch on the edge of my seat, rooting these truckers on as they drive icey perilious roads! I love this show!!!