5.0 out of 5 stars The real thing
Published 17 months ago by cyn1hin

3.0 out of 5 stars She says it gave her the valuable information she needed but advised me not towatch it. I don't like to see the ugly ...
I ordered this for my daughter as a resource for her graduate studies. She says it gave her the valuable information she needed but advised me not to watch it. I don't like to see the ugly side of human kind on screen.
Published 13 days ago by Angel Light

5.0 out of 5 stars The real thing, July 27, 2013
This review is from: Iceberg Slim: Portrait of a Pimp (DVD)
This documentary is an eye opener on an unknown world to most of us. From his early childhood through the turmoils of his life we have a vivid portrait of the man who became an influential writer. In-depth interviews with now famous rap stars as well as invaluable information from Slim's own family, especially his now deceased wife and daughters, give an even more intimate picture of this complex writer and his life. His experiences cover most of the social spectrum and we are able to view him with all his bumps and accolades. Photo images and clips from the past to the present help to give us a rounded picture of the way street life was while he was living it. Very enlightening, engrossing film.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Good Movie, July 22, 2013
Very good documentary and very enlightening! I enjoyed watching every minute of the documentary and was even surprised by some of the things I found out in the world of "pimping".

5.0 out of 5 stars The Eye Opening Book That Revealed African American Life in the Ghetto, June 30, 2014
Keith Brooks (Hollywood, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I didn't realize that this film would touch me so deeply, but my applause to Ice T and Misty Beck among others for creating this tribute to one of the most important and unsung literary legends of our time, Mr. Robert Beck, aka Iceberg Slim. Growing up on the streets of Detroit, my options were few, work at a factory, deal drugs or hustle on the streets. Leaning towards the life of a thief and a hustler, I began examining the pimping game, loving the glamour, the "celebrity," for which it brought with it, and of course, the women. However, praise to God that before I began to descend into that "street poison," as Mr. Beck calls it, I read his books, The Naked Soul of Iceberg Slim, and Pimp: The Story of My Life. Mr. Beck's vivid accounts of "The Life," and his fall into drug addiction and incarceration opened my eyes to the realities of such a life. Mr. Beck also turned my dreams of street hustling into a dream of being a writer, having been the first writer I had ever read who so eloquently blended articulation with street savvy; in other words, Ice made it cool to be both book smart and street smart. I wish that I could have met him before his passing, for he was truly a mentor and a hero, to a cat from the ghetto who really needed one at the time. Excellent work, and highly recommended to anyone, African American or of any nationality who wants to understand this paradox of a man, and his vision.

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Documentary on a Man of the City Streets, July 14, 2014
This review is from: Iceberg Slim: Portrait of a Pimp (DVD)
Recently shown on Premium cable, this documentary is about Robert Beck, alias Iceberg Slim. His wife and daughters appear in the film, as well as his fans Ice-T, Chris Rock and others. Iceberg Slim has long been a component of the underground black street culture, I first read his book in 1970.
The film shows how the man became an author and was massively underpaid for the millions of his books sold by his publisher
His estate has a new publisher now, which I assume will be more financially beneficial..
This film is not about sex. There are many humorous anecdotes. Iceberg's great talent was as a storyteller. This film is not an instructional video on pimping.

5.0 out of 5 stars Redeeming Message In the Midst of It, May 28, 2014
Great documentary. Chronicles the life and times of Robert Beck aka Iceberg Slim and focuses on his rise to fame as well as his struggles. Initially viewed it as a glamorization of the pimp life, but found that it instead is a stern warning against it. Beck himself viewed the life as detestable and harmful to the overall well being of society and in particular African Americans. Entertaining picture overall!

5.0 out of 5 stars THE Definitive Movie on Hustling GET IT!, October 8, 2013
Really shared a VERY interesting history that happened in my city (Chicago) a life I will never know (pimping). But like the movie Goodfellas this is a REAL story of the good bad and the ugly. He is not PROMOTING or GLAMORIZING pimping. It is just the OPPOSITE as he (Iceberg Slim) is talking against young men getting in the game. And to see him talk about it LIVE in person over the span of 50 years + and understand the history is AMAZING.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent documentary. Do not believe the haters out there ..., July 7, 2014
Excellent documentary. Do not believe the haters out there that are committed to tarnishing this movie's greatness. Excellent from start to finish. The interviews , stock footage, and facts are all very well organized and presented. Well worth your time and money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Riviting Documentary, May 9, 2014
A literary genius born out of tragedy. Knowing he was the villain...I cheered for his quest for redemption. Gripping and revealing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling!, May 7, 2014
This is a masterfully crafted documentary about a man who most would find utterly repulsive and yet you'll find yourself drawn to his candor and vulnerability. We all love to root for the underdog and Iceberg Slim makes Rocky Balboa seem like a trust fund baby with a sweater tied across his shoulders! I laughed, cried, and reflected on my own missteps during this cinematic rollercoaster! Truly a must see!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Well Done, May 3, 2014
I actually didn't know what to expect prior to watching this documentary. I have to say that it really held my attention and the commentary by many who are featured in the film was insightful. I also liked how the history of the US was woven into the film and gave one a sense of what was happening overall in the US that affected the decisions made by Mr Beck. I know some people will always look at this line of work with disgust and will abhor the members who use violence as a form of control, but there are those who will look at this and rationalize the behavior described by Mr Beck and that's more concerning than the things he describes. All-in-all, this is very well done and I would recommend it to anyone who wants to gain a better understanding of how Mr Beck became "Iceberg Slim".

Iceberg Slim: Portrait of a Pimp
Iceberg Slim: Portrait of a Pimp by Jorge Hinojosa (DVD - 2013)
$29.99 $18.99