5.0 out of 5 stars The real thing
Published 12 months ago by cyn1hin

3.0 out of 5 stars Increditable
The movie didn't give me what I were looking for too much and I am in the game of Iceberg Slim life style. It is something to now still about a person and women of the night have to think and pay attention when messing with Pimps. Save some $$$$ themselves because Pimps don't, but some.
Published 3 months ago by Veronica Tubbins

5.0 out of 5 stars The real thing, July 27, 2013
This review is from: Iceberg Slim: Portrait of a Pimp (DVD)
This documentary is an eye opener on an unknown world to most of us. From his early childhood through the turmoils of his life we have a vivid portrait of the man who became an influential writer. In-depth interviews with now famous rap stars as well as invaluable information from Slim's own family, especially his now deceased wife and daughters, give an even more intimate picture of this complex writer and his life. His experiences cover most of the social spectrum and we are able to view him with all his bumps and accolades. Photo images and clips from the past to the present help to give us a rounded picture of the way street life was while he was living it. Very enlightening, engrossing film.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Good Movie, July 22, 2013
Very good documentary and very enlightening! I enjoyed watching every minute of the documentary and was even surprised by some of the things I found out in the world of "pimping".

5.0 out of 5 stars THE Definitive Movie on Hustling GET IT!, October 8, 2013
Really shared a VERY interesting history that happened in my city (Chicago) a life I will never know (pimping). But like the movie Goodfellas this is a REAL story of the good bad and the ugly. He is not PROMOTING or GLAMORIZING pimping. It is just the OPPOSITE as he (Iceberg Slim) is talking against young men getting in the game. And to see him talk about it LIVE in person over the span of 50 years + and understand the history is AMAZING.

5.0 out of 5 stars Riviting Documentary, May 9, 2014
A literary genius born out of tragedy. Knowing he was the villain...I cheered for his quest for redemption. Gripping and revealing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling!, May 7, 2014
This is a masterfully crafted documentary about a man who most would find utterly repulsive and yet you'll find yourself drawn to his candor and vulnerability. We all love to root for the underdog and Iceberg Slim makes Rocky Balboa seem like a trust fund baby with a sweater tied across his shoulders! I laughed, cried, and reflected on my own missteps during this cinematic rollercoaster! Truly a must see!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Well Done, May 3, 2014
I actually didn't know what to expect prior to watching this documentary. I have to say that it really held my attention and the commentary by many who are featured in the film was insightful. I also liked how the history of the US was woven into the film and gave one a sense of what was happening overall in the US that affected the decisions made by Mr Beck. I know some people will always look at this line of work with disgust and will abhor the members who use violence as a form of control, but there are those who will look at this and rationalize the behavior described by Mr Beck and that's more concerning than the things he describes. All-in-all, this is very well done and I would recommend it to anyone who wants to gain a better understanding of how Mr Beck became "Iceberg Slim".

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing and powerful first hand insight into the seedy world of pimps and prostitutes, April 29, 2014
I have been aware of the name Iceberg Slim for a long time. During my high school years I read books written by him as well as Donald Goines. These books allowed me to sub merge myself into the seedy, gritty and cruel world of the underbelly side of life within the urban ghetto. The realism of the characters and the tales of drug abuse, murder and the street hustle was fascinating.Myself being a resident of the so called hood was very aware that this world was all to real and the fiction tales based on non fiction made the stories even more intriguing. In this autobiographical documentary we are allowed to peer into the thought process of one the real OG's of the mack game. His insight and wisdom paints a picture of a very intelligent man who made some poor decisions but through the power of will and determination altered the course of his life and found his true calling as a dynamic storyteller who can articulate and describe a side of life many are not privy too. The wisdom he imparts about the human spirit rings loud and resonate long after the film is over. Kudos to Ice T for bringing this man story to the world.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely entertaining, April 29, 2014
Thought this was a very entertaining documentary. Iceberg spells out how he got "street poisoned" into the pimping life. Enjoyed it .

5.0 out of 5 stars Tender Loving Pimping, April 28, 2014
Arthur Murph (Atlanta, GA United States) - See all my reviews
This documentary is NOT what you think it's about. What it was is a very insightful look into the life of a very misunderstood person. I would recommend that everyone watch this documentary.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good story indeed!, February 23, 2014
This review is from: Iceberg Slim: Portrait of a Pimp (DVD)
I thought this was a well documented account of an individual I had never heard of before. It was an Amazon recommendation so I ordered it.

Iceberg Slim: Portrait of a Pimp
Iceberg Slim: Portrait of a Pimp by Jorge Hinojosa (DVD - 2013)
$29.99 $21.78