Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing Learn more

Format: DVD|Change

on July 27, 2013
This documentary is an eye opener on an unknown world to most of us. From his early childhood through the turmoils of his life we have a vivid portrait of the man who became an influential writer. In-depth interviews with now famous rap stars as well as invaluable information from Slim's own family, especially his now deceased wife and daughters, give an even more intimate picture of this complex writer and his life. His experiences cover most of the social spectrum and we are able to view him with all his bumps and accolades. Photo images and clips from the past to the present help to give us a rounded picture of the way street life was while he was living it. Very enlightening, engrossing film.
on June 30, 2014
I didn't realize that this film would touch me so deeply, but my applause to Ice T and Misty Beck among others for creating this tribute to one of the most important and unsung literary legends of our time, Mr. Robert Beck, aka Iceberg Slim. Growing up on the streets of Detroit, my options were few, work at a factory, deal drugs or hustle on the streets. Leaning towards the life of a thief and a hustler, I began examining the pimping game, loving the glamour, the "celebrity," for which it brought with it, and of course, the women. However, praise to God that before I began to descend into that "street poison," as Mr. Beck calls it, I read his books, The Naked Soul of Iceberg Slim, and Pimp: The Story of My Life. Mr. Beck's vivid accounts of "The Life," and his fall into drug addiction and incarceration opened my eyes to the realities of such a life. Mr. Beck also turned my dreams of street hustling into a dream of being a writer, having been the first writer I had ever read who so eloquently blended articulation with street savvy; in other words, Ice made it cool to be both book smart and street smart. I wish that I could have met him before his passing, for he was truly a mentor and a hero, to a cat from the ghetto who really needed one at the time. Excellent work, and highly recommended to anyone, African American or of any nationality who wants to understand this paradox of a man, and his vision.
on July 14, 2014
Recently shown on Premium cable, this documentary is about Robert Beck, alias Iceberg Slim. His wife and daughters appear in the film, as well as his fans Ice-T, Chris Rock and others. Iceberg Slim has long been a component of the underground black street culture, I first read his book in 1970.
The film shows how the man became an author and was massively underpaid for the millions of his books sold by his publisher
His estate has a new publisher now, which I assume will be more financially beneficial..
This film is not about sex. There are many humorous anecdotes. Iceberg's great talent was as a storyteller. This film is not an instructional video on pimping.
on October 8, 2013
Really shared a VERY interesting history that happened in my city (Chicago) a life I will never know (pimping). But like the movie Goodfellas this is a REAL story of the good bad and the ugly. He is not PROMOTING or GLAMORIZING pimping. It is just the OPPOSITE as he (Iceberg Slim) is talking against young men getting in the game. And to see him talk about it LIVE in person over the span of 50 years + and understand the history is AMAZING.
on August 19, 2014
I found this just fascinating and definitely a unique American story that needed to be told, and that we needed to hear. Slim's eloquent speech and writing style brings depth and meaning to his personal history and his books. Not the type of content you hear every day of the week, however it is indeed incredibly thought provoking.
on September 18, 2014
This work is particularly well done and is very interesting to read. It is sincere, but not graphic like some of the other films on pimping. There is no nudity or graphic language that is distasteful...try it if you are interested in this legend...//Chuck
on May 28, 2014
Great documentary. Chronicles the life and times of Robert Beck aka Iceberg Slim and focuses on his rise to fame as well as his struggles. Initially viewed it as a glamorization of the pimp life, but found that it instead is a stern warning against it. Beck himself viewed the life as detestable and harmful to the overall well being of society and in particular African Americans. Entertaining picture overall!
on January 4, 2014
It was interesting to see the story of an underground Ernest Hemingway who exuded his life through his writing. This man graduated from high school at 15 years of age with 98 average. Within him lied genius that remained dormant while living a street life. On the flip side it was this life that granted him fodder for very compelling literary works. I loved this. Consequently I am now reading his books.
on March 7, 2015
Awesome movie for those who are fans of street/urban culture. Iceberg Slim gave birth to a genre of literature. This documentary does him justice and fleshes out what made the man including his complicated relationships with women. It also shows his family life which is especially poignant considering one of his daughters featured in the film recently died of an overdose. The street life is a "mutha".
on July 22, 2013
Very good documentary and very enlightening! I enjoyed watching every minute of the documentary and was even surprised by some of the things I found out in the world of "pimping".