5.0 out of 5 stars Best wool base layer out there
Published on January 24, 2012 by DL

3.0 out of 5 stars High quality, but sizing is way off
Published on December 30, 2010 by Andrew FY

5.0 out of 5 stars Best wool base layer out there, January 24, 2012
I got this top because I found some issues with other wool base layers. Weights under 200 are too fragile, but over 200 tends to be to hot and slow drying once sweat soaked . My Smartwool medium weight, while a fine top, tended to lose its shape after 3 days in the field and the seams on the arms tended migrate from under my arm, around the inside, till the seam stopped on the top of my wrists.

This 200 weight Icebreaker solves all those issues. The neck never loses shape and the body never wrinkles or gets loose due to the elasticity of the fabric. The sleeves and seams stay put and the whole shirt is as good on day 3 as day 1. It still does not stink in the field. Its light enough to not be prone to sweating out by exertion, but warm enough to wear alone in cool weather.

I had some concerns upon purchase. There were old reviews of this shirt that mentioned heat transfered label on the shirt coming off with wear, the shirt does not reccomend machine drying, and the sizing, which is based on chest size seemed off from other clothes. The shirt now uses a high quality embroidered logo on the chest so the heat transfered logo is no longer an issue. I have continually machine washed and dried this shirt and it holds up even better than Smartwool, which reccomends a machine dry. Finally, the sizing is dead on if you use the chest sizing. At 6'2" 205, I wear an XL or sometimes a L in loose clothing. My chest size is exactly 46" which Icebreaker says is XXL. While different than other manufacturers, their sizing recommendation was dead on. This shirt is tighter than the Smartwool medium weights but not Underarmor tight. The ad picture is an accurate representation of fit if you follow the sizing recommendations. MEASURE YOUR CHEST BEFORE ORDERING. Once you get the shirt, cut out the label on the inside of the body, its annoying.

All in all this is the best wool base layer made. Better than Smartwool, Patagonia, Minus 33 degrees, or anyone else.

3.0 out of 5 stars High quality, but sizing is way off, December 30, 2010
Andrew FY (Portland, OR) - See all my reviews
I was quite excited to try out the Icebreaker wool thermal after reading great things about their stuff on a few forums. Taking the shirt out of the box, it was clear that it was a well-made garment, but also clear that these shirts are sized pretty radically. I typically wear small or medium shirt's depending on manufacturer, but after finding that both Smart Wool and 33 Degrees' wool base-layers fit about perfectly in size small, I decided to get the Oasis in a small too. The icebreaker fits much, much differently. The shirt's arms comfortably fit my frame but without even lifting up my arms, I could tell that the shirt was not long enough. If I lifted up my arms, my stomach would be exposed and the shirt wouldn't stay tucked in.
Would be a great shirt for a short person with long-arms, but if you are tall and somewhat lanky like I am, Smartwool or 33 degrees is the way to go.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Light Baselayer, November 3, 2011
This review is from: Icebreaker Men's Oasis Crewe Bodyfit 200 (Sports Apparel)
This shirt is top-notch! This piece is a little thin to be wearing alone on cooler days, but excellent when it's warmer out, as well as when layered with outerwear for skiing, hiking, and so on. The fit is a little snug, but not UnderArmour tight, as long as you give yourself a little room. I'm 6'3" and a lean 180lbs, and I went XL just to be safe. Turns out the sizing was right on; the shirt hugs around the chest, shoulders, and arms, but doesn't constrict at all. The seams lay flat to the skin so well that it feels like one solid piece of fabric. On top of all that, it looks nice enough that you can wear it as a standalone piece in most any situation, as long as the climate permits. I can't wait to hit the slopes with this on!

3.0 out of 5 stars Kinda itchy scratchy, October 9, 2013
The fit is OK but I prefer the SmartWool base layer

Pros: Cost, sizing is correct
Cons: Not as soft as other wool base layers, does not dry as quick as other base layers

4.0 out of 5 stars Great shirt, September 1, 2013
I got the black, and unlike the photo which shows white seams on the sides and shoulder areas, Mine is actually all black, including seams. I get M in t-shirts so they fit better in the chest but usually get L in longsleeve so the sleeves are long enough. This L fit great in the sleeves and chest! I'm 6'1" 175#'s 34" waist 39" chest.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, July 10, 2014
Love wool for cool weather cycling. It is breathable and warm. Perfect!

5.0 out of 5 stars Kept me warm, March 14, 2014
I layered this shirt with other wool and synthetic layers. I wore the shirt for a few days on a hunting trip and stayed warm the whole time. No scratchiness either.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good light or mid layer, February 15, 2014
I have worn this throughout this winter. I use it as my base layer. It has maintained its shape and fit despite daily use for couple of months. I love that it is wool and does not start to stink even after five days of use. I highly recommend this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Warm, just what I wanted, January 13, 2014
I needed a product to wear to work under my clothes because my office is too cold. I had a space heater that popped the breaker so that didn't work. Asking my boss to turn p the heat would be asking too much also

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great, January 12, 2014
Husband wears under his work shirt inthe winter! He loves, would buy more, but a little pricy!!!! The only navy blue I could find in 100% wool

Icebreaker Men's Oasis Crewe Bodyfit 200