Facility Spring Cleaning BDD_MSW16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Blue October Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS

Format: Paperback|Change

on July 23, 2008
Chuck Liddell is a great fighter and his fights are entertaining. The contradiction of his ferocity in the Octagon to his mild-mannered nature outside of it is fascinating. I wish the book had more depth and exposed more of the real Chuck. But after reading about how Chuck was raised and getting a glimpse into his demeanor and lifestyle, it makes sense why the book is rather shallow. I enjoyed and appreciated the insight Chuck gives into each of his fights (e.g., his opinions on this opponents, his disposition towards the fight, the technical breakdown and strategy employed, etc.). But I could do without his bragging, the awkward-at-best and poor-at-worst writing, and the general lack of biographical meat.
on February 23, 2008
This book really put it into perspective how mainstream MMA has become. I didn't realize just how popular the sport and its fighters have become until I read this book.

The book also provides details and insight into why Chuck does what he does. It provides life changing events and the decisions Chuck made to keep going. I find myself thinking of Chuck's life and the decisions he made and it provides a calming influence to me as I now understand that life can only beat you up if you let it. I found the book helpful in understanding Chuck and I am an even bigger Liddell fan since reading the book.
on May 12, 2014
Unsurprisingly this is written at a pretty low level and the real meat here is getting some insight into the fighter mentality. The book does an okay job. MMA fans will definitely like it, but I wouldn't recommend it to non-MMA fans.
on January 30, 2008
I encourage all MMA/UFC fans to pick up Chuck Liddell's new book. Chuck pulls no punches in discussing all of his fights, his feud with Tito, and his life as MMA's biggest star. Chuck discusses his street fights, college life, and the fame and foturne that goes with being the ICEMAN.

GREAT READ
on September 16, 2011
this book tells the very interesting up to this point life story of the iceman. it is funny in places and dead serious in others. as i read through it i could almost hear chuck's scratchy/gravelly voice telling the story. and whatever the future holds for him, i am sure it will be interesting enough for a sequel. great 1 day read. thanks for writing this book chuck.
on August 1, 2015
UFC superstars should not be judged as a person according to their image and ego in the octagon. this book is a perfect example of a UFC 'bad boy' who's really a big-hearted person in real life. Liddell's stint in the octagon may not be a fan-favorite stint but as a person, he could be considered as the best UFC superstar in the world. no doubt.
on March 27, 2008
Being a big fan of UFC, I decided to pick up this book. It was a good book, but it was a very easy read. The childhood story of Chuck Liddell was very interesting but nothing suprised me of what he did growing up. I look forward to the releases of Tito Ortiz and Randy Couture's books being released in the next couple months. As for this book, definately worth picking up if your a fan of UFC and Chuck Liddell.
on March 5, 2008
This book was everything the Matt Hughes effort wasn't. Liddell speaks in detail about his fights, his overall strategies, and specific tactics against particular opponents. The man comes across as likeable and intelligent. He does us a favor by sparing us stories of his childhood years, and skips right to the meat of the book.

I learned a lot of interesting things; Dana White trained at the same gym as Chuck Liddell - so did the Fertitta brothers. Liddell lost his manager because of a disagreement over TUF2 - the man thought he should have been paid more money and Chuck realized this was necessary both for the sport and his recognition. The UFC launched their TUF reality show completely on their own dime and then pitched it for free to any network willing to take a chance! These are the kinds of things I really wanted an insight into and Liddell's book delivers in spades. The Matt Hughes book, in contrast, gave me nothing.

I wasn't a fan of Chuck's prior to reading this novel, but I am now. It's obvious that he cares passionately about the MMA game and I hope he manages to recapture the LHW belt.
on February 12, 2008
Yes, WOW is right. Former UFC Light Heavyweight champion Chuck "The Iceman " Liddell tells it all. Excellent book, very detailed, and would highly recommend to any Chuck fan or MMA fan.

Chuck is not only one of the greatest fighters ever to step into the octagon, he is down to earth, a good father, and a loyal friend to those who know, work and train with him. Money, fame and fortune has not changed him and his love for fighting. He would be just as content fighting in his backyard for free to prove he is the best.

One of his most intriguing fights he talks about in detail that I was amazed by his courage and toughness was the Vale Tudo Championships in Brazil. A brutal thirty minute war with Jose "Pele" Landi-Jons, whose record at that time was 13-2. Chuck's only second career fight and he beats a heavily favored veteran fighter in his own back yard. No rounds, no gloves, no breaks, very few rules. Not many men as determined or as brave as Chuck would take on such a challenge. When Chuck saw Pele the next day, he said his face looked like the Elephant Man's.

Quote from book. "Winning that fight earned me my first magazine cover. Naturally, it was Full Contact Fighter. It also put me on the international map as a mixed martial arts threat. Most important, it helped me realize what I could do in the ring. I knew I had the talent to go far in this sport."

And far he did, winning the UFC LHW title in 2005 against Randy Couture, and defending it four times. After watching his incredible performance against Wanderlei Silva on December 29, 2007, I believe he will win his title back soon.
VINE VOICEon April 12, 2008
MMA icon and Mohawk-coiffed Chuck Liddell offers his first person autobiography in "Iceman." After reading the pathetic Matt Hughes book - "Made in America" - Hughes makes Liddell seem like freakin' William Shakespeare. "Iceman" is a highly entertaining read if you are a MMA fan, regardless of whether or not you are a Liddell fan. Liddell's rise in MMA has roughly paralleled the emergence of MMA as a fringe activity - "human cockfighting" - to a more mainstream sport.

You get the inside story of Liddell's training methods, his preparations for his fights, what it's like to be on the set of "The Ultimate Fighter" and his friendship with Dana White. Chuck Liddell comes off to me as a fairly carefree happy go lucky guy who doesn't get too high after wins or too low after losses. He is no saint, and after reading the book you might suggest that his nickname not be "Iceman" as much as "Swordsman."

The story is not complete, of course. At age 37 or 38, Liddell may have a few fights left in him. The book was written before he beat Wanderlei Silva in December 2007. If Liddell's career continues as long as Randy Couture's, he may have to sharpen the pencil for a sequel.

If you are an MMA fan, you will enjoy and savor this self-portrait of a modern day gladiator.