4.0 out of 5 stars haves W-8
Published 15 months ago by Nolan C. Dinsmore

Published 8 months ago by Edward W. Lord

4.0 out of 5 stars haves W-8, January 8, 2013
This review is from: IdeaCentre H520s Desktop Computer - Intel Core i5 i5-3330 3GHz (Personal Computers)
The pc works well, I may even have given it 5 stars if it did not have windows 8. It is fast and works well however, the sound system is the new S/PDIF format and would not work with the sound system just disconnected from my previous system which worked great - tech support said to spend another $50 or so and get a new sytem, that was a negative finding. Additionally, I could not get my 80 gb iomega external drive to work and that is where my previous files of 10 years were backed up. It turned out that I had it plugged into a 3.0 usb port not a 2.0 and that speed difference was the reason for the failure. I had to call tech support and it took them 15 minutes to tell me which ports were 2.0 versus 3.0 - no mention in the user guide which is almost non-existent. It turns out that the inside of the 3.0 ports are blue and the 2.0 are black but tech support would not tell me that, they attempted to get a file and tell me the actual location of each. Again, this is a good pc but if you are a non-techie like me, plan to use the support number because set up is not fast and easy without a user guide. Additionall, it comes without a single CD, no back up system disk or anything!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great small desktop, but beware Amazon memory specs, July 27, 2013
Easy to set up out of the box. Very fast performer, nice-looking compact unit with easy access to all the ports you need: 4 USB (2.0), speaker ports, VGA, and HDMI on upper back; card reader, 2 more USBs, and headphone ports on front, below power button and above vertical DVD tray. 1 TB hard drive, built-in HD graphics and wireless N. And, important to me, fits on my small desk.

Be aware that there are quite a few versions of the H520s with different processors available; I bought the H520s version with an i5-3330 3 GHz quad-core processor. There are several third generation i5s, the newest ones being the priciest. If you want to save $$ and can accept some drop in performance, you might want to consider one of the i3 models; there are some very cheap versions with a dual-core processor, too. Finally, there are comparable full-size desktops in the H520 and H430, also with different processors. If you have the space and don't mind a bigger box, they would probably be better for later upgrading. But all these versions (and prices) can be a little confusing.

My only real complaint is that my unit came with only 4 GB of memory instead of the 6 advertised by Amazon. Although purchased through Amazon, it was shipped by a third-party vendor. The vendor offered me a measly $15 to make things right. Oh, well; so far I haven't missed the missing 2 GB, but I might not buy another computer through Amazon as a result of this experience.

Windows 8 takes some time (there are NO instructions) but once you find the charms bar and the classic desktop it's fine; and a geeky right-mouse-click in the lower left brings up some of the functions available on the old "start" button. I really don't see the need for an add-on program to bring up the old "start" button. Switching among open programs is still a little confusing, though. I wandered away from this message to check my processor version and it took some clicking around to get back.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good deal on a third generation i5, February 12, 2013
I did my research and at the time, this was the best deal on a name brand, third generation i5 computer. I slid the lid off as soon as the machine arrived to have a look inside. It is well put together, clean wiring and such. The case is rather small and it doesn't appear to have room for a second hard drive. Also, some high performance video boards probably won't have enough head room to fit in the PCIe x16 expansion slot. I hated windows 8 at first but am getting used to it. The free version of VMware along with Linux mint 14 runs extremely fast on this box, even with only one core and 1 GB of RAM allocated to the VM. If you hate windows 8 you have that option. I spend about 90% of my time on this computer running Linux.

Shipping was much earlier than expected, I think Amazon handles items in this price range a little quicker, even if you select the free shipping.

5.0 out of 5 stars Touch NOT Required - Low-profile desktop with Win8, July 15, 2013
Michael Noonan (Albuquerque, NM United States) - See all my reviews
I was a bit hesitant at the idea of investing in a non-touch Win8 desktop system. This was my first experience with Win 8 and I was able to maintain an open mind with the Metro UI. It took about 5 minutes to find my way around, was able to uncover the desktop and find Control Panel. The system is light-speed, considering it replaced a 6 year old Celeron system, with SLOW HDD and SLOW bus. Lenovo makes the best laptops, so I was not surprised this desktop was great too! I only recommend Lenovo for PC's anymore.

2.0 out of 5 stars There is no support and no help when it is not working out of the box, August 10, 2013
The usb ports on this H520 work for up to a week before the quit. I unplug the peripheral and plug it into another port and it works for awhile then fails and I can switch it back to the first port and it works. This mostly happens with my second monitor and my keyboard. No way to contact Lenovo but Amazon was great and did step up to help. I took it to a repair shop and spent a bundle and they still fail. There are lots of good computer companies. I don't recommend Lenovo H520s unless you like climbing under your computer desk every few days.

5.0 out of 5 stars New computer, May 9, 2013
I am very happy with the new computer is compact fits on my desk and appears to be very powerful

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Nice Tower PC for the Price, January 29, 2014
I have been using this Lenovo computer for months and no problems yet.
The H520 comes with Windows 8.which is designed for touch screen systems, ie tablets, and
will be unfamiliar to those use to older MS software.. However the installed Lenovo desk top software,
can be opened easily, and is very user friendly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good product, the manual a bit lacking, November 18, 2013
The actual computer has been great and for the price just great and I got it from Amazon inventory which was better than from a subcontractor as some were shown as Amazon gave me a month to check it out and windows 8 out and I needed it as windows 8 was a handful. At the time certain equipment had to be adjusted for windows 8, and the only reason i did not rate it higher was that when i called Lenovo for help with windows 8 and hooking the machine up I found their help a bit lacking and had to either figure it out on my own or get help with windows 8 from Microsoft. Setting the computer up took a little work as the manual is a bit lacking.

4.0 out of 5 stars it has been 2 months, October 25, 2013
This computer is not bad, at least so far it works perfect (after all it only been 2 months).
This only issue I have is this is Windows 8....and it did take me a while to get used to it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid performer, August 31, 2013
I've been using this desktop for about six months now, and so far it's worked out quite well. I also have a Mac laptop, so like everyone else I can say Windows 8 is definitely not as user-friendly as OS X. But it's also not as terrible as everyone else is saying. If you need a Windows desktop, and are looking for a small form factor in the desktop, I think this is a good way to go. One small detail to mention, is start up is very very quick for a desktop.

ARRAY(0xad074b7c)