Turn Flash off? Hey, I just bought this camera and am wondering if it's possible to turn off the flash in the progammed modes. For example, I want to shoot in macro mode but the flash comes up automatically. I'd keep it on the flash off mode but then I'm assuming macro mode settings won't be in play. Any ideas (besides using the manual mode). Ideally if you could let me know if it's possible to turn off flash in the pre-programmed modes and if not, are there any other dslr cameras that do this? My point and shoot canon does allow you to do so so I was a bit confused as to why I don't see a flash turn off button for each pre-programmed mode on this one. Thanks so much!
asked by jgo on June 21, 2009
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 answers
A
How to turn off flash
seth answered on July 12, 2014
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Use the 'P' (Programmed) mode. The camera will still decide the shutter speed and aperture for you, but at least it doesn't pop up the flash automatically.
NLee the Engineer answered on June 21, 2009
Comment | 1 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I'd completely forgotten that the camera even HAS a macro/close-up mode. When I shoot macro or close-ups, I use AV mode and adjust the aperture for how much of the subject I want to be in focus. Macro Mode uses ALL the focus points and might not even pick the right spot to focus on (when shooting true macro, as opposed to close-up, I use manual focusing anyway to make sure the focus point is exactly where I want it). In all honesty, Macro Mode is something of a gimmick.
Technology Guy answered on June 28, 2009
Comment | 0 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Personally, I don't use any of the 'Basic Zone' image modes (Portrail, Landscape, etc). The camera's user manual does not clearly state how each image mode is implemented (for example: does it always open the aperture to the widest in 'Close up' mode?) By setting the dial to one of those image modes, you basically surrender the full control over to the camera. I prefer to stay with P, Av, Tv and M modes.
NLee the Engineer answered on June 22, 2009

A
Thank NLee! In macro mode are the shutter speed and apertature the only things the camera needs to modify? I guess is this normal for dslrs not to allow you to turn off the flash in preprogrammed modes? thanks again!
jgo answered on June 22, 2009
‹ Previous   1   Next ›

See all questions about this product