5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiration and Eye Candy!
Published on October 19, 2010 by Emily A. Daniels

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice photo book
This was an interesting journey that surprised me in that, thinking that there might be some tutorials to go along with the photo's, this is instead literally 1000 photographs of cakes and cookies and cupcakes.

Published on October 23, 2010 by Toni

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice photo book, October 23, 2010
Toni "the bookworm" (Chicago, Illinois United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: 1,000 Ideas for Decorating Cupcakes, Cookies & Cakes (Flexibound)

Within the covers of this paperback book are full-page or half-page or quarter-page photographs of cookies, cakes, and cupcakes that will definitely inspire. Under each photo is the name of the person that created the baked delight. Though some of these credits will be just the names of the decorators, some will have the accompanying website that you can access for further idea's. If you do go to the websites offered, there you will find more photo's along with some beautiful tutorials and/or instruction as well as more information on the decorator. So with a little extra effort, your journey will take you to many parts of the world to learn more on the photo's that piqued your interest. Each photo is full color with wonderful detail.

The book is set as such:
First there are 5 sections of groupings that showcase each set of pictures and each photo has an accompanying number.

Elegant Entertaining
Baby and Child
Holiday
Just for Fun
Weddings and Engagements

After the above groupings, the next section is "Frosting Recipes" for:

Meringue Buttercream
Simple Buttercream
Gananche
Royal Icing
2 Recipes for Fondant (as well as amounts needed to cover cakes)
Gumpaste
Marzipan

The next section of the book is labeled "Image Directory" and this is where you look up the number of the photo which is accompanied by a very short description of the baked good, which might include what type of frosting used or cookie cutter, etc.

The last section of the book is the "Contributor Directory" which lists each of the bakers and decorators, in alphabetical order, with their websites and contact information.

I think that this is a lovely book, especially for beginners, to help your decorating interest but understand that it is not a teaching book. You will have to be more of a detective with this book in that you need to check out the websites offered, which may or may not include specifics, but which will put you in contact with the artists. For those with advanced skills, perhaps you would like to look at other authors/books. Peace.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiration and Eye Candy!, October 19, 2010
I am a pro cake decorator and am always looking for good "inspiration" books. I like a book that I can let a client flip through and talk about what they like and what they don't. I love that the treats presented in the book are from "real" cake decorators like me and not Cake Boss, Ace of Cakes, etc. These are treats anyone would love to have at their event and not over the top, overly sculpted, very spesific cakes.

If you are looking for instruction or how-to, this is definitely not the book for you. It is pictures, pictures, pictures, and more pictures. There are no recipes, and there is no instruction. This is an inspiration only book and you can take the ideas and run with them.

In short, this is a book that I will keep on my shelf forever, and will be looking for more like it in the future.

1.0 out of 5 stars very dissapointing book!, January 20, 2011
I was so dissapointed in this book. It is literally ALL pictures. No how to's at all. I received it as a gift so I couldn't return it without a receipt. I am sure the people who made this book meant well but giving a picture without a how to really leaves a lot uncovered. I looked through it twice and did get one idea but it was a bummer gift. Pretty pictures for sure, but that is all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Total Eye Candy!, October 18, 2010
Talk about eyecandy! This book is page after page of tasty treats for the eyes. Everything in here literally looks too good to eat. My daughters and I will have hours and hours of great "Mommy and me" time trying out our versions of these wonderful decorated treats.

Both girls wanted this book so badly after watching a couple of the "Cupcake" shows and the more well known "Cake Decorating" shows on the various cable networks. Cake decorating classes are widely available but they are limited to teaching techniques with the sponsoring manufacturers product line. This book takes that knowledge a step further and exposes the reader to a variety of ideas. The decorating techniques my girls already know, but they do love seeing what other people create and the color and pattern choices they use. The plus is, I can keep on the shelf and refer to it whenever a creative baking moment is needed. My teenager loves to bake and is using this book to make individual cute cupcakes to reflect the birthday person's own personality. I like the fact that I don't have to drive her to Newport Beach to the fancy upscale cupcake store to get just the right cupcake.

On another note: I just love the various books from the 1000 series. These books just inspire me to try new patterns, ideas and color combinations. They are not "How To" books but inspiration after inspiration! They also feature a great variety of different artists/crafters whose work I would not have had an opportunity to have seen. I even got to meet several of the artists at my local "Felt Club" show. The book itself is a paperback instead of a hardback (which keeps the costs down and takes less space on my bookshelf) and the photography is delightful!

5.0 out of 5 stars great photos!, October 18, 2010
I really loved the varied images in this book. It gave me tons of new ideas to try. I don't really buy these kind of books for recipes or instructions, which could have been why I enjoyed it so much. I buy them for the photos and to be inspired, and this book provided me with tons of inspiration and new projects to tackle!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun & Fabulous!, October 22, 2010
The title says it all "1000 Ideas for Decorating Cupcakes, Cookies & Cake". This book is a collection of beautiful eatable creations made by some very talented people. I think it is lovely that the publishers featured such large variety of bakers/cake decorators/designers.

It was cool to see some of the folks whose blogs I enjoy reading have their beautiful work featured in this book. Some of the fabulous designers include: "Michelle Cake Designs", "Jill's Sugar Collection" and many more. These are truly talented folks and while they are not giving directions on how to duplicate their work; they are sharing photographs of their creations. Which is a generous thing for them to do. I have many cake decorating and design books that I have picked up here in the U.S. and in the U.K.. None of these books have so many cakes, cookies, and cupcakes all in one book.

If you are new to baking and just need basic directions, there are some great books on Amazon that offer that type of information. There are also some great books written just to develop cake decorating techniques, as well as classes offered at your local craft & hobby stores. However, if you just need more ideas, then this book is a great choice and offers some really great photographs that are sure to inspire you to think outside the box and try something new (the next time you decide to bake and decorate some goodies).

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning!, October 24, 2010
This book is chock full of stunning photos, which give you 1,000 ideas for decorating all types of baked goods! You can even use the ideas for other types of craft projects, such as making greeting cards, polymer clay creations, or even tole painting (chapixcookies.com has some ideas that would be perfect for tole). It's fun to go back again and again to see my favorites, as well as discover new ones.

It is a beautiful large book (love the cut out of the 1000 on the cover), and is divided into sections. There are Elegant Entertaining ideas, including a stunning three tier peacock cake. in the Baby and Child section, I loved the embossed fondant design of a mother and baby from a baker in Turkey. The holiday section is filled with wonderful suggestions for every holiday, even had beautiful Christmas ornament cookies, that look like fancy glass blown ornaments. In the Just for Fun section, the plate of chile peppers in four colors was a real attention grabber! And in the last area, Weddings and Engagements, make sure you see the eye catching Las Vegas cake, complete with playing cards and the famous Las Vegas sign.

They also kindly include several frosting recipes so you can experiment on your own with ideas from the photos in the book. Contact information on each of the talented bakers is in the back, including their websites and email addresses. 1,000 ideas for Decorating Cupcakes, Cookie and Cakes is such a fantastic resource for bakers and crafters, as well as just a really enjoyable book for anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly Surprised!, October 13, 2010
Well-
I really like this book! It's really cute and full of an assortment of ideals.
It's not a recipe book but the picture are colorful and bright! I see many items that I want to try---so many little eye treats to experiment with.
It's like a book of fun and decorating possibilities. It's a keeper for me and a sweet addition to my baking library.

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of money and time...and paper., October 6, 2011
These are just pictures of cupcakes and cakes and cookies....I could have just googled "Pretty Cupcakes". I thought this book would have tutorials, but there are no directions what-so-ever.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice ORGANIZED Photos without DEPTH, April 6, 2011
I loved the various photos but I was disappointed since most of them came from the internet!!! If you google Cake Pops, you'll see several sites with wonderful photos, even some seen in the book!! I wish there was directions to go along with some of the photos. I got more information/techniques & tutorials from the various web sites than this book!! Only buy it if you want the photos in one organized format, otherwise download them from the internet.

1,000 Ideas for Decorating Cupcakes, Cookies & Cakes
1,000 Ideas for Decorating Cupcakes, Cookies & Cakes by Sandra Salamony (Flexibound - November 1, 2010)
$25.00 $20.77
In stock but may require an extra 1-2 days to process.