5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing tablet! ipad 2 & 3 vs Idolian Studio 10
Let me cut right the chase. I'm picky and very critical about electronic devices. I build my own PC's for gaming and occasionally do reviews for on pads, pc's and electrical gadgets.

Published on December 23, 2012 by Medstudent83

3.0 out of 5 stars Idolian Android Jellybean 10 inches 4.1
Published 24 months ago by Milton Cohen

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing tablet! ipad 2 & 3 vs Idolian Studio 10, December 23, 2012
This review is from: Idolian Studio 10 Dual Core 10", 16 GB (Personal Computers)

I have no bias for Android or OSX, Mac, Windows or anything else, I could care less and use both for what ever it is I'm working on. As I feel both have their benefits and downfalls.

I Currently Have the ipad 2 & 3 ( 2 purchased, 3 was gifted). So why did I purchase this? I wanted a pad to take with me to work frankly And the ipads had limitations, particularly being that they didn't have USB or microSD, plus the Ipad 3 is noticeably heavier than this and makes holding it for long periods of time a workout on its own..and also at a price of 600 bucks, I didn't want to risk damage or theft. It's the cheapest pad and at nearly 300 bucks, I initially regretted my order, but figured If I didn't like it or it stopped working I can return.

After much research, I opted on purchasing the Studio rather than going for a Samsung or Toshiba. Because after all, on paper the STUDIO 10 should perform as good as the Toshiba Thrive and possibly be on the same level as other "name brand" 2 processor tablets. I was honestly going to purchase a thrive.

First Impression physical;

I don't know why Idolian doesn't have pictures that do the pad justice. But they don't.

Compared to Ipad 2, It felt somewhat lighter, definitely thinner and more streamlined. But the View on Idolian was better because the screen was a bit bigger minus the large space between were the screen ends and the side of the products as in the Ipad.

Compared to ipad 2, it was brighter and offered sharper pictures, BUT not not sharp as the ipad 3. Same brightness and the difference in picture quality isn't really noticiable. Very easy to hold and use. I found it easier to hold and use than any of the iPads

The Idolian is made from good material. I was expecting some rattling, or cheap parts. But you don't get that. Instead, you get a pad that has tight fit sliver back cover with openings for speaker that is covered by a nice steal mesh underneath two slits.

Its got a volume rocker made of plastic on the same side as the camera. Its not loose and exactly to the slit size and slightly elevated from the side. Feels rock solid. My only critique is it would have been better if they used a different color rocker made of metal.

On the bottom its got head phone, usb, HDMI, and Micro SD slots. All of which work and no cheap corner cutting.

Now the camera. The biggest shocker is that the camera seems to take clear pictures! Now were not talking about iPad clear, but were talking about as good as a 5mp camera ( somehow the cam despite it being only 2 ( front as well) takes really good and clear pictures. Meaning There not blurry or terrible.

Operating system ( where they really shine above competition)

Screen:

Unbelievably bright, clear and sharp colors. Despite it not being a glass. It was the same brightness as my ipad 3. Vibrant color and super sensitive screen. Responds From all corners and everywhere you touch it. How do you know? Place your finger on the very edge of the screen and flip to the next tab. It worked from all corners.

When tablet is held at odd angles, there are no glares and is visible at eye level 180 degree

The pad is lighting fast!! The beauty of Jelly bean on this particular model, is that they've given you the user moderator option. And you can pretty much custom everything.

Go to the settings, then developer option and your in the heart of what makes this pad different that others. Naturally I cranked up Windows animation, transition animations, and adjusted GPU settings and let this bad boy run. Pad took everything I threw at it with out chocking up! however, because you have everything cranked up, it means that it's going to use a lot of theatrics in transitioning and that annoys because I'm pretty impatient when it comes to electronics. I want them to respond fast. But I never felt it freezing or stalling.

When the extra theatrics are turned off, I transitioned from window to window, apps to gadgets and basically everything so fast that my eyes had a hard time adjusting to the new screen and comprehending! For example on the iPad, there's a slight delay and some theatrics, but with this. When there's no theatrics, its FASTER THAN WHAT THE EYES CAN SEE AND MIND COMPREHEND.

It comes equipped with flash player and by simply going to 1- settings 2-Developer options 3- Scroll down to Apps and unchecked the Google Application ( it being checked hides everything from google).

The Play store appeared, and google search appeared. BTW this pad also has VOICE COMMAND! that actually works! and talks backs back. Youtube, Netflix, office products, adobe reader all work great.

Home screen has the little rectangular menu bar with with the icon to adjust brightness, wifi, Bluetooth and download. On the top left is the Google shortcut, but here's the best part. It's not obstructing your view, its in a small font, that clear white and next it is the microphone shortcut.

On the right hand corner is the icon for menu tab(?). Through their you can access APPS AND WIDGETS. the cool part about Apps is that they exhibit a nice smooth 3D motion. Then you can check widgets and you the Pad transition from screen to screen super fast and while offering 3D motions. And if you crank up the graphics, you can transition using fading in and out while zooming in and out and having the screen come up from behind slowly while the screen in the front slowly fades away.

On the Menu bar, it gives you the option to see history tabs and actually erase them as well! you just slide it out and the box underneath moves up! You can also adjust volume, return to home screen or Return to previous screen.

The device doesn't heat up as hot as other devices. And when you lower the brightness, I've gotten about 8-10 hours of usage. Videos brings the numbers down to 6-8.

It's priced exactly at where it should be priced imo. And frankly speaking. I offers a lot with out the cheap feel and makes it very functional.

If I notice anything else I'll post updates.

5.0 out of 5 stars damn nice tablet, December 27, 2012
I did my research before buying this tablet. I am not an Apple fan and truly appreciate the Android software so I immediately ruled out the iPad, if not for anything else, as overpriced. When I came across Idolian I was instantly impressed although I had never heard of them before. I was skeptical, but the price was right (less then half the price of the iPad) and the specs were where I wanted them to be (newest Android software, dual cameras, fast processor, large internal memory, expandable RAM, 10" TFT multi-point touchscreen, etc.). When I received it I loved it, with the exception of one major thing. I couldn't get Google Play Store or any Android apps. This baffled me and once I couldn't even see Google Images I was concerned I had made a big mistake. Then I started digging. In a far distant buried setting under Developer Settings (Advanced) I noticed that Google was "turned off". I was surprised by this. If I were a normal uneducated user I would never have found it. Fortunately, I have been in Telecom for over 17 years with a ton of computer skills. So, once I turned on Google, everything was right with the world. I was able to install anything and everything I wanted. So to conclude, I am extremely satisfied with my purchase, overjoyed in fact. The graphics are spectacular, the size is phenomenal, the speed is stellar, the memory is awesome, and the software blazing! So I highly recommend this tablet, but warn that you must find the Developer settings and turn Google on before you go banging your head on a wall. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars One happy customer, January 10, 2013
I researched Android tablets like crazy this Christmas, I purchased a very cheap 10.1 tab for my girlfriend and a smaller, cheaper 7 inch one for my daughter. Both worked well for them but didnt have any of the premium features that the more expensive tablets have (dual core proccessors, Bluetooth, Android 4.1, etc). I knew that I would want a tablet that had these features but really didnt like spending 500+ to get a top of the line tablet. Then I saw this on Amazon.

I did a lot of research on Idolian and found out that the Studio 10 is a new product for them, but their other products come very highly rated. As I compared features I quickly realized that if the tablet works as advertized this is a top of the line tablet at half the price.

I have had the tablet now for about a week and my first impressions are WOW! This tab is well built, with a metal backing and an incredibly sharp screen. The tablet is exactly as the description on Amazon and the Idolian website, so there were no surprises. The best review I can give a device is that it is what I was expecting it to be based off of the product description, there were no disapointments with this tab. Read the spec sheets and descriptions and then buy with confidence. I did and I am extreemely happy with my purchase!

3.0 out of 5 stars Idolian Android Jellybean 10 inches 4.1, February 3, 2013
I've had this tabletl now for a little over a month and haven't used it a whole lot, but it does seems to pretty much do everything promised including a reasonably long battery life and access to the large Google store of apps. It is not, however, particularly user friendly. This is my first tablet and I've pretty much had to figure out everything by trial and error, so sometimes I'm not sure if a feature I'm looking for is missing or if I just haven't figured out yet how to access it; there is no manual of any sort - no hard copy and no instructions on the tablet itself. Also,I have Hotmail as my e-mail provider and the Android version does not have all the features of my desktop version. The best thing is when I gave up on finding a couple of things, I phoned Idolian for help and the tech I spoke with gave me the information I needed to find what I was looking for, and invited me to call back if I had any other questions.

4.0 out of 5 stars pleased, January 7, 2013
After purchasing a polaroid tablet from a black Friday sale, we ended up returning it because you had to be sitting next to the router to get wi-fi. We decided to spend more money for the present and looked at this product on Amazon. Still a little skeptical, I read the reviews from others and decided to give it a try. For the price, this product surpassed my expectations. We have only had it a week but have enjoyed the speed and easy use of it. The only negative I can say, is that it was difficult to find a cover to fit it that did not muffle the speaker in the back. The speaker should be in a different location. Idolian did not sell a cover specific to this product. That is the only inconvienence I have had with this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ignore the 1 and 2 star reviews, January 5, 2013
This is a great tab. After tweaking a couple of non-essential settings (as you would do with any tab), battery lasts longer than a majority of the 10" tablets. It has a terrific, crisp display and the build quality is great! You have your choice of 1000's of games and apps from Google Play Store and Amazon Appstore. I won't say anymore as Medstudent83 and a couple of others have already said everything that I would say. So, check out their reviews for more.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great tablet for the price, May 5, 2013
Danbo "Danbo" (Pleasanton CA USA) - See all my reviews
I purchased this for my mother who is a bit of a technophobe. She has a computer in her guest room and uses it now and again, however she was not using it enough to learn. She showed interest in a tablet and with Mother's day coming, I thought we would give it a shot. I gave it to her last week and she loves it! I could have got her a car and she wouldn't have been this excited. I loaded apps through the Play service and she won't put it down. As for the tablet itself, it is thin and lightweight. The picture is as clear as the higher priced models. Some have complained about the power plug and I could see, if not handled carefully, where it could be at risk of breaking. However, I believe that the power plug pin is sufficiently long enough to avoid breaking if handled with care. To me, the power plug is sturdier than the micro USB which is common on most phones being distributed now. To sum up, the device is a good size, (even for my Mom who has troubled eyesight), clear picture and is easy to use right away. I felt this was a very good deal.

5.0 out of 5 stars i love it, March 29, 2013
i love this tablet!!! great price, have had no problems whatso ever easy to use... cant live without it now and bring it everywhere i go!!!!!!!!!!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars I am tickled pink! - not anymore!, March 21, 2013
After playing around with this tablet, I have absolute no idea why anybody in the right mind would ever buy an IPad? The Studio 10 is doing everything I needed it for. The speed of this tablet is incredible.
I have tried soo many tablets, incl. IPad and Windows 8 tablets. I have not found any of them as responsive and/or fast as this Studio 10.
The only problem I noticed was the fact that the "Google Play" app did not show on the screen or in the list of apps, even though it was installed. One(!) email to Idolian solved that problem within minutes - here is the solution:
1st: go to SETTINGS>DEVELOPERS OPTIONS>GOOGLE APPLICATION(uncheck Google application box)
2nd: select your menu its in the top right hand corner on the home screen looks likec6 little squares."
Now go to the menu screen and you'll find the "Google Play" app - it's that easy!
Fazit: Not just the tablet is great, the service from Idolian is very responsive and fast! Very unusual in today's business world!

Update as of Sept. 26, 2013
Originally I was very happy with this tablet as well as their customer service. That all changed about 4 weeks ago. The charge port developed a problem and I had to wiggle the charger plug to get it charged. The slightest vibration would stop the charging again.
I called tech support several times and left messages - no return phone call ever came! I sent emails to tech support, and finally got a response after 2 weeks!
It was too late as I had purchased additional protection through Square Trade, and I had filed a claim with them when I finally got some response from IDOLIAN.
Square Trade also tried to contact IDOLIAN and never got a response either. They reimbursed the full purchase price and I received the credit within less than 5 business days. It is a shame that customer service and tech support stink, because the tablet itself is a great tablet for the price. The only issue I ever really had was the flimsy charge port which they could easily improve! Therefore I gave it 1 star now!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good performance, March 16, 2013
I just love this tablet. Very fast and good display. Lots of apps available at the Play store. Battery life with all the added tweaks turned down is about 6 hours. The downside; the external SD card disappears and has to be ejected and reinserted for it to be recognised by the system.

Update: this tablet was working just fine until about a month ago when the battery just stopped holding its charge. I would still use the tablet but have to plug it into an AC outlet to power it on. Today I came home from work only to realize that I did not unplug it after I used it as I usually do. When i picked it up I realized that the back cover had separated from the rest of the tablet. Upon further examination i noticed that one of the batteries has swollen and pushed the back cover away from the body. I am so disappointed now as i bought this tablet in January 2013, now its dead.

Idolian Studio 10 Dual Core 10", 16 GB