Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

• If
  • Customer Reviews

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on November 7, 2005
This is a hard hitting little book. I can not pick it up without saying, "Ouch." It is filled with "If - Then" statements, all ending in "Then I know nothing of Calvary love." It is a small book, and "if" is a small word, but it has a big impact. It is filled with wise and profound statements covering many areas of life. Every time I pick it up it shows me how little I know of Calvary love, and how much God has yet to change me. This is not a book to read once and then put down. It is one to open up at random on a daily basis. It isn't a book shelf book, but one to be kept by the bedside, coffeepot, kitchen table, or any where else that will remind you to pick it up again. It is a convicting reminder of how God loves each of us, and how He expects each of us to pass His love along.
0Comment| 96 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 25, 2000
As I read this book, small in content, but was one of the most powerfully convicting books I've ever come across...I came to the realization of the shallowness of the love in Christ most of us possess. The truths this book holds are to encourage us to go deeper with Jesus and leave "self" behind. Truly His thoughts and ways are higher than ours. And certainly, Jesus left self behind when He pursued the mission of the cross. When we pick up our cross, as Amy related, we are heading to the place of dying to self. This book's worth is far greater than the price you will pay. It is a treasure to glean from.
on January 11, 2003
Short, hard hitting Truths about what the attitude of a follower of Christ in leadership should be. The challenge is to comprehend the Love shown at Calvary. I always have a copy with me at work, home or travelling so I can be brought back down to earth in the challenges of serving. Not for a new believer or someone struggling, but food for the soul for those who are ready to "risk" going deeper for their Lord. I have given many copies away, and though recipients are challenged to the core, they are pleased to have recieved it.
on April 19, 2000
This book about the love of God is not full of watered-down, humanly-achieved concepts. Amy's writing challenges us to look to the only One who could possibly supply this kind of God-given grace. This Christian virtue is described in very plain but simple, practical language. The Lord Jesus Christ is held up as the example.
on November 28, 1998
As with a good deal of Amy Carmichael's published works, this book was borne out of an intimate thought-dialogue between Amy and her Lord. Not intended to be read straight through, each page contains a brief reflection on a human response as it compares with the Divine Love demonstrated on the cross. Every entry provides ample food for meditation and self-examination in light of Calvary Love. Only a heart willfully steeled against exposure of its shortcomings will fail to be moved by these practical insights. And though her comments are often piercingly perceptive, Amy never comes across as heavy-handed or preach-y. As always, one is made to feel a kindredness of heart with the author in our earthly journey.
on June 2, 2001
A little book that packs a whallop! This is a book every Christian should own. Amy Carmichael, with her convicting verses and wonderful writing sheds amazing light on Calvary love. I, for one, completely realized that I really know nothing of it. This is a love that give everything, without thought of self. I highly recommend this book. It will change your life.
on August 13, 2001
This isn't a soft pity-yourself kind of book. It's convicting, refreshingly true, and very, very challenging! In such a small amount of words this book manages to say so much. Not only are the shorter sayings very valuable, but Amy Carmichael's words in part 3 of the book are very inspiring as well. It helped me realize the depth and breadth of Calvary love and how much I lack it! I had never bought a book of sayings before (I guess I had a grudge against the Hallmark-quality of many of them), but this one blew me away.
on November 30, 1999
IF by Amy Carmichael is a short little book---booklet really---which has been a very powerful tool in my life since I received my copy. It is a compilation of thoughts on what "Calvary Love" is NOT. The reader is encouraged to read one or two pages at a time to allow the thoughts presented to be absorbed. If you have a desire to love as Jesus loved--you need this book!
on July 25, 2006
This book it worth reading just for the preface. Then the content itself is even better. Be careful, God might ask you to change!
on December 31, 2005
Dedicated on Spiritual works, service and inter-Christian relationship in-depth. Because of this book I have visited Dohnavur Fellowship in S. India once. Suprising that not so many Christians (besides the fews mainly in England) care about (or even know) their exsistance: In their guest book we are the 1st Chinese (and properly the 2nd Asians besides Indian) to visit them.

Other recommendation by "Amma" would be "Mountain Breezes: The Collected Poems of Amy Carmichael": a big collection!

Supporting Dohnavur Fellowship's work if we could!