Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports

on October 18, 2001
New Mexico, and the Taos area in particular, has to be one of the most beautiful places on earth. John Nichols captures this beauty perfectly in his first of the Taos series, "If Mountains Should Die." Accompanied by heart-grabbing photographs, this book describes his first few years in Taos as a transplanted East-Coaster. Nichols not only captures the raw beauty of the land, but also the people that occupy it. Along with this, he describes the disturbing and continous struggle to keep it alive and free from suburbanization. His personal and touching accounts of his own struggle with the place and the people bring it alive in unexpected ways. There is also plenty of respect here, along with a deep anger for what is being done to the land, the people, and the unique way of life found in Taos Valley. As this is a very special place in my heart, I found it easy to cry and laugh along with him.
on July 8, 2016
Mr. Nichols is a very good writer. I've a couple of his books. I read, on average two books a day. Because his writings have been featured on local TV programs (I a fellow New Mexican) I've picked up a few. I look forward to writings on the area. Mr. Nichols definitely is descriptive; but then, his subject-matter lends easily to that. I however, get bogged down, and impatient when reading his books. Usually I get through a book in a day. Not his. I fuss all the way through them; labored reading. EXCELLENT writer, without a doubt. To me, though, his books are saturating rather than satiating.
on October 12, 2014
I lost my original copy so was pleased to find a replacement. John Nichols knows his locale.
on August 30, 2014
Having been raised in this area of the country....I found this story enthralling.
on December 28, 2014
I have enjoyed his work and New Mexican insight.