5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for children, with more Dr. Seussian creatures
Published on April 6, 1998

3.0 out of 5 stars Wit, tainted with racial caricatures
Published 6 months ago by A techno geek

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for children, with more Dr. Seussian creatures, April 6, 1998
This review is from: If I Ran the Zoo (Classic Seuss) (Hardcover)
Young children will love this foray into a child's imagination as he imagines the wonderful creatures that he would bring into the zoo if he could only be allowed to run it. Anyone familiar with Dr. Seuss will not be surprised at the fantastical creatures which populate the imaginary zoo and delight young readers. Some children may be confused, however, when at the end of the book the child reverts to reality and his spectator role, sadly watching a pedestrian zoo run by a plump, adult zookeeper.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure delight, July 16, 2002
This review is from: If I Ran the Zoo (Classic Seuss) (Hardcover)
Let's face it. The world has changed a lot since the prolific genius Suess (aka Theodore S. Geisel) penned this classic tale in 1950. The expanse of time, however, has not rendered this rhymed story any less fun for the younger set than it was then.

True enough, young Gerald McGrew complains that the lions and tigers in a pretty good zoo are "awfully old-fashioned"---before dreaming about catching new ones in an equally old-fashioned way.

But most readers---in fact, all but the biggest of stuffed shirts---will quickly forget the politically incorrect aspects of the cages and trap-doodles McGrew imagines taking to the wild mountains of Zomba-ma-Tant and Tobsk, not to mention Motta-fa-Potta-fa-Pell and Hippo-no-Hungus. The machines are pretty amusing--including the Skeegle-mobile, the Bad-Animal-Catching-Machine and the Cooker-mobile.

Travelers through these pages also encounter the gol-darndest lion, with ten feet; topknot hens, an Elephant-Cat, a Gusset, a Gherkin, a Gasket, a Tufted Mazurka, a Nerkle, a Nerd, a Bippo-no-Bungus---the list goes on and on---and a Seersucker too (get it?).

If he ran the zoo, Gerald would make a few changes, that's just what he'd do. But changes to this book would totally destroy it. `What this zoo must be worth!" Gerald imagines crowds cheering. "It's the gol-darndest zoo/ On the face of the earth!"

Got that right, young master Gerald.

---Alyssa A. Lappen

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best.., September 4, 2001
This review is from: If I Ran the Zoo (Classic Seuss) (Hardcover)
In "review" of the current online reviews - y'all just don't get it. Dr. Suess' books are about using ones imagination, not just the environment (which y'all seem to take literally), but how we treat, and take life (ALL life) in general on a day to day basis. Relate the "animals" in "If I Ran the Zoo" or "If I Ran the Circus" to someone you know (or read about). Learn from them. Enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars A zoo filled with fanciful animals of the imagination., May 13, 1999
This review is from: If I Ran the Zoo (Classic Seuss) (Hardcover)
I first read this children's book when I was much, much younger. And, I still enjoy it. It is about a boy who, if he ran the zoo, would replace all the animals with very unusual species, all of them quite fanciful and imaginative. This book is another illustration of how much the author loved children's imagination and how important it is to develop that imagination. The book was a 1951 Caldecott Honor book (i.e., a runner-up to the Medal winner) for best illustration in a children's book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best of Dr. Seuss!, September 18, 1999
This review is from: If I Ran the Zoo (Classic Seuss) (Hardcover)
"If I Ran the Zoo" is my absolutely favorite book by Dr. Seuss! This book is an instant childhood classic. I cannot remember how many times I begged my grandmother to read it to me. By far one of the Doctor's most imaginative stories.

3.0 out of 5 stars Wit, tainted with racial caricatures, January 18, 2014
This review is from: If I Ran the Zoo (Classic Seuss) (Hardcover)
This is another great whimsical Dr. Seuss story, except that in a few place Dr. Seuss indulges in the temptation to draw upon the stable fanciful of racial and ethnic caricatures in American culture to add humans to the menagerie of odd creatures here. If you are of Asian, African, Russian, or Iranian descent, you might feel offended at these depictions. If I were a school librarian, I might re-catalog these out of the children's section, into a "mass culture examples of ethnic stereotypes" section, if such a category exists.

3.0 out of 5 stars I'd reach for another Seuss., May 9, 2013
SC Lady (South Carolina) - See all my reviews
This review is from: If I Ran the Zoo (Classic Seuss) (Hardcover)
I never had this as a child. We checked it out of the library, and I wasn't a fan. As others stated, it has some pretty dated racist undertones that we've thankfully abandoned as a society by now. As others stated, I'm not a fan of the "gol-darn" phrase either. Its too close to the swear. But IMO the biggest issue we have is that it is far too long and not as concise. I sometimes have ten or twelve lines on a page that feel like rhyming babbling to me, rather than the refined storyline of the Sneetches, for example. If you took out what I feel are lines of incessant babble just for the sake of carrying on, it would be more appropriately about 1/3 this length.
Im sorry, Dr. Seuss, I love you, love it this won't be a permanent addition to our collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars The book that named the Nerds, February 6, 2004
Alonso Maisterrena (México, D.F. Mexico) - See all my reviews
This review is from: If I Ran the Zoo (Classic Seuss) (Hardcover)
Actually this book is the one that introduced for the first time the word NERD. The widly spread use of this word was taken from a curiosly angry character in this book. Only for that, this book deserves to be a classic. But aside that, this book is probably the best work of Dr. Seuss. It is very imaginative, beautifully illustrated and impressively well writen.
A must have for every child. I'm mexican and this book illustrations made me learn english. I truly recommend this title.

2.0 out of 5 stars Many negative messages outweight the positives..., March 12, 2004
This review is from: If I Ran the Zoo (Classic Seuss) (Hardcover)
Let me start off by saying that I am a huge Dr. Seuss fan. This book does encourage a child's use of his/her imagination, and the fantasy is rich. However, there are elements in the book that disturb me. I understand that it was written in 1950, but I don't know that young children are capable of comprehending the difference. For example, Asians are quite stereotypically depicted, including this line, "With helpers who all wear their eyes at a slant." Africans are depicted in an even worse way; they look as though they were drawn in blackface, and they have enormous nose rings. The message of hunting down creatures (and taking pleasure in it) so that they can be caged in a zoo for display is also bothersome. I fully recognize that these things are in conflect with our family's values and that other families may disagree. However, I thought families with similar values might appreciate the heads-up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for adults, too!, November 28, 2007
M. St. "marysrn" (Port Charlotte, Florida United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: If I Ran the Zoo (Classic Seuss) (Hardcover)
Purchased this book for a grandchild. I can only hope that whichever parent reads this to the child, they have as much fun as I did reading it to MY child. It IS fun--snuggle with your little one and start reading. Soon you will be both laughing. I believe the word "nerd" originated in this book.

If I Ran the Zoo (Classic Seuss)
If I Ran the Zoo (Classic Seuss) by Dr. Seuss (Hardcover - October 12, 1950)
$14.95 $11.31