Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 3, 2012 2:02:24 PM PDT
With the track listing up, a noticed a glaring omission of "If You Asked Me To" by Patti LaBelle, form the Licence To Kill soundtrack. Must be a legal issue, of course, as the soundtrack itself is on a different label, and no additional tracks from the film(beyond the title song) appear on disc 2; it goes right from The Living Daylights to Goldeneye. Quite a shame, as it appears to be an obvious choice to be on here.

Posted on Oct 7, 2012 6:52:06 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Oct 7, 2012 6:56:32 AM PDT]

Posted on Oct 15, 2012 7:55:56 PM PDT
R - Review says:
I've always really wanted to have this song on a Bond compilation but they never include it for one reason or another.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 11:41:17 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 24, 2012 11:41:52 PM PST
Diana says:
Honestly it's a very beautiful song but too radioish for me. Bonds songs should be songs that are not too popular and unfortunately if you ask me too was played all over the radio and in music videos. Plus it reminds me too much of Celine Dion.

I did not even know that song was featured in a bond movie, I prefer the classics bond songs myself and greatly prefer licence to kill by Glady's Knight since it has that bond feel to it, not sure if it's just me but EnVogue's don't let go song music sounds like licence to kill.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2012 12:21:45 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 25, 2012 12:22:33 AM PST
R - Review says:
I can understand your feelings that Bond songs shouldn't be too familiar on the radio(though some indeed are). But for me, the first time I ever heard this song was in the closing credits of 'Licence To Kill'. Therefore I tend to associate Labelle's version of the song more often with the Bond film(s) than I do with the radio, even though I've never actually heard her version on the radio before.

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 5:22:43 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 1, 2013 5:24:21 PM PST
Larry Davis says:
I agree that Patti's earlier version should have been on there, but maybe there was no room?? They have tracks from other labels...Madonna, a-ha, Sheryl Crow, Garbage, Jack White/Alicia Keys...yes the first time I heard "If You Asked Me To" was in "License To Kill", and it's well-written...I prefer Patti to Celine, who is not a songwriter...as for familiarity, that is irrelevant...is Paul McCartney/Wings' "Live & Let Die" NOT familar?? Duran Duran's "A View To A Kill"?? Sheena Easton's "For Your Eyes Only"?? Carly Simon's "Nobody Does It Better"?? Adele's "Skyfall"?? They became big hit records...but for me, the best Bond theme is a-ha's "The Living Daylights", despite all the other classic themes and Shirley Bassey.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2013 6:45:58 PM PDT
Greg Palmer says:
Diana, it's funny you should say that because Celine Dion did cover "IYAMT" 3 years later, and much better than Patti did. Personally, I prefer the Dion version to LaBelle's, but that's probably because I grew up hearing the latter. But yeah, I would've liked to have seen the track on this album. I mean, they included both contributions from The Pretenders.

Posted on Jun 26, 2016 1:45:47 PM PDT
grooverider says:
Johnny Mathis does a great version of, "If You Asked Me To".
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  7
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  Oct 3, 2012
Latest post:  29 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Best Of James Bond 50th Anniversary (2 CD)
Best Of James Bond 50th Anniversary (2 CD) by Various Artists (Audio CD - 2012)
4.6 out of 5 stars (247)