Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer TL256 TL256 TL256  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS

on December 30, 1999
This is a motivating book for anyone who's heart leads them to writing - professionally or as a personal challenge - yet they are confronted by either their own negative internal voices or by their critical, so called friends. Along with inspirational quotes from famous writers, the book guides you with achievable steps to help you overcome your fears of writing, procrastination, writer's block, waiting for inspiration etc. An easy to read and follow book, because the author "Joel Saltzman" intended it that way. His philosophy for writing is simple: he says "if you can talk, you can write." And he's write. (pun intended).
VINE VOICEon January 15, 2002
One of my literati friends gave this to me for my birthday last year as a joke since I always talk about writing more but I always manage to procrastinate. Joel Saltzman's "If You Can Talk You Can Write" was both funny and insightful and helped me kick some of my bad writing habits (being too much of a perfectionist during early drafts, beating writer's block, revising). After I read it I sat down the next day and followed Joel's advice: write about whatever, as long as I was writing again. This is like writer therapy (or rehabiliation). It got me off my chesterfield and back at the keyboard.
This is a great tool for student writers and university writing courses. If I ever decide to teach creative writing, this book will definitely be on my required reading list. Too many writers burn out from many of the topics Joel discusses, such as being too critical, too much of a perfectionist, or labouring away trying to imitate the style of the classic writers instead of finiding your own unique voice.
on May 14, 1999
I found the book was informative and inspiring. It answered many questions and doubts I had about writing. It made me feel confident I was a good candidate. I have loaned the book to others and they have been similarly interested in trying to start writing their own books.
It provided me with the support and confidence boost I needed to take that step of faith and try something new. I have developed several ideas for books from the thought provoking questions this book uses to develop your creative instinct.
I can use the ocasional reminder of what or how I should do something as a rookie writer. I am presently working on a suspense novel based on my visits to Russia, another series of books on family security concerns, and editing my loss prevention manual. Thanks Mr. Saltzman!
on August 22, 2001
I have always described myself as a "writer who never writes." I kid you not when I tell you that I have barely drafted so much as a shopping list in the last 20 years. Before reading this book, I attributed my problem to "writer's block." After reading the book, I know it is not a case of writer's block, but instead a case of "perfectionist's block." In other words, I've known what to write all along, I've just been terrified of how to translate the thoughts in my head onto paper. This book teaches you how to overcome the myth that anything you write has to be absolutely perfect, or it's not worth writing in the first place. It gives you the freedom to express yourself without the fear of rejection. It was absolutely a god-send for me. Since completing the book last weekend I've filled an entire journal with stories on a variety of subjects, with a long list of topics I have not even befun to explore. If you want to write but think of every reason under the sun to start tomorrow rather than today, this is the book for you. It will absolutely change your life!
on May 23, 2004
Whether you're a fiction writer, or a non-fiction writer, this book is for you. Perfect for those who get stuck in the rut of perfectionism (a.k.a. writer's block). That awful state, oh my!
To often, we expect our writing to come out like smooth golden honey, dripping onto the page with every pen stroke. But often, this isn't the case. Instead of gold, we get blah. We get a lot of blah; in fact, we get so much blah that we question our writing ability. We want to give up. But, don't give up -- keep writing instead.
If you want to writer, you need to stick your nose into your notebook and write. Learn how to free-write, and you'll be on your way to success. "How I that?" you may ask. Get this book and find out. After you're finished, you can always go back and edit your drafts to your hearts content. But for now, learn to talk on paper first.
on August 2, 1999
Saltzman's book can be considered a new writer's bible. He offers practical advice and lots of encouragement with plenty of humor, compassion,and wisdom. The writers' quotes along with concise and relevent instruction and anecdotes makes this book easy to read. If you aren't inspired to start writing after reading this book, you were never meant to be a writer.
on May 8, 1997
Fabulous! This book finally pulled me out of several years of procrastination, and gave me the kick in the ass that I needed to get myself writing again! Thank you, thank you, thank you, Joel! This is a book that I return to again and again, and I never come away disappointed. I recommend this book for every struggling student, writer, public speaker, and timid soul who wants to write or needs to write. Most of all, I recommend this book to those who are aspiring authors, but are pinned to the ground by fear. Read this book and set your imagination free
on October 13, 2014
This is a good little book to read after you have failed in your first few attempts to write something worthwhile.
Mr. Saltzman points out, in a very simple manner, that perfection is absolutely unattainable… so why bother. Mr. Saltzman’s, very liberating philosophy on writing is to simply write like you talk. Don’t get bogged down in a sea of grammatical falderal, you can deal with that stuff later. Get on with it and get it written down. You really need to let yourself go and enjoy the story you want to tell.
Read this little book before you sit down to your next writing session; before you start something new, and follow the simple philosophies therein, or rather just let yourself tell your story. You’ll see a world of difference in the way you feel about things when you’re finished.
An excellent read.
on August 24, 2003
This is the book that got me really started writing. The principle is simple enough: if you really want to write something, you have to go ahead and start writing it, and keep on writing even though it's nowhere close to perfect. What keeps most people from writing is thinking that it has to be perfect the first time around. Saltzman says "writer's block" is really "perfectionist's block". This may sound like a simple concept, but the way Saltzman presents it is really unique; it's a real kick in the rear. And if you have any doubts as to the effectiveness of his writing method, just read even one chapter of the book. It's _thoroughly_ entertaining all the way through - and very informative. I never thought a book on writing would strike me as a "page-turner", but . . . this one is.
on August 25, 2000
This is a terrific book that inspired me to fill a note book with stories in just 2 days after years of just thinking about it. This book is very funny and easy to read. I love the blurb on starting a sentence with the word "And." We must have had the same english teacher.