5.0 out of 5 stars Make Believe.
I've never read any of Cecelia Ahern's other books but thought I'd give her latest release a try. I'm glad I did. It was a truly phenomenal book. This is so different compared to the chick lit books I always read. It's magical, sad, happy, and heart warming all in one great story about a woman, her nephew, and a not so imaginary man named Ivan.

I HIGHLY...
Published on January 3, 2006 by Little D

3.0 out of 5 stars i recieved this book as a gift!
Published on January 7, 2007 by Lizzinor Bennwood

5.0 out of 5 stars Make Believe., January 3, 2006

I HIGHLY recommend this book to Ahern's fans or any book lover.

I know now I'll have to keep on read her other books. She has found a new fan of her writing :) .

4.0 out of 5 stars Gets better as it goes along, January 16, 2006
This novel had a slow start. It's about Elizabeth Egan, who at first seems so rigid, inflexible and closed off to life that it's hard to stay interested in her.

But as the story unfolds, Elizabeth meets her nephew's imaginary friend, Ivan, and is forced to confront the question: What if imaginary friends are real? And what if no other adults can see them?

Ivan is part of an organization called "What If" that generally helps children in need of friends. But every once in a while, adults can see the imaginary friends, too. In this book, the friends are not imaginary, just invisible to most adults.

The book reminded me a bit of Roman Holiday, with its sense of a fun-filled, playful life away from the daily grind, and the inevitable ending.

Although this book took a while to draw me in, I would recommend it to anyone who enjoyed Cecilia Ahern's previous novels. At first, also, it struck me as more of a children's story, but as we learn more and more about Elizabeth's past, the story becomes more three-dimensional and interesting. Overall, this is a fairy tale with some adult sadness.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book!!!!, March 2, 2006
This review is from: If You Could See Me Now (Audio CD)
Initially, I listened to the audio version of this book and it was a fabulous audio read. The accents were wonderful! I fell in love with all of the characters, esp Ivan! Regardless of a few negative reviews... I think you may have missed the point of the book... you have to have a light heart once in a while! I enjoyed the audio so much, but when I realized it was abridged, I bought the book and read the entire version and loved it even more! It gave me greater insight into the characters and the story... I had missed so much in the abridged version.
I have read all of Cecelia Ahern's books, and this is no let down to me. I can't wait for her next book! I give this 5 starz! Such a refreshing and tender read!
JMHO //(*_*)\\

5.0 out of 5 stars A BIT OF FANTASY - A LOT OF ENJOYMENT, January 19, 2006
Readers who found much to like in Dublin author Cecelia Ahern's "P.S. I Love You" and Rosie Dunne" will be pleased with the different road she takes in her third novel "If You Could See Me Now." This time out rather than a happy ending romance with an Irish lilt we find a wee spirit. Not so wee after all, his name is Ivan, and he's invisible - to everyone but 6-year-old Luke.

His tightly wound aunt, Elizabeth Egan, fears Luke is imagining things just as his mother does and her mother did. Fantasy is fearful according to Elizabeth whose childhood was spent trying to make up for a mother who disappeared from the small village in which they lived. Life was simply too dull there, and she left in search of adventure. Elizabeth's sister, Saoirse, is her mother's daughter, one more "free spirit" who doesn't let parenthood hold her back. Thus, it is left to Elizabeth to care for Luke.

After a sad childhood and a less than satisfactory adulthood, adventure, enjoyment are not a part of Elizabeth's existence; order, control, practicality are her mainstays. However, she had not counted on Ivan. According to him there was "nothing imaginary about him whatsoever." It was simply that people couldn't see him. He has everything Elizabeth does not - a sense of fun, spontaneity, and a lusty love of life.

Ivan arrived to bring a little cheer to Luke but soon discovers that Elizabeth could also use a new lease on life. It is not too long before she is able to see Ivan, too, which is where the fun begins.

After all, Ireland is the home of leprechauns, elves, and other magical creatures. So, what better setting for this imaginative story of a man who may or may not be real? It is belief in him that brings about change. For those who doubt, Ivan speaks of imaginary friends, "...we're here to help and assist those who need us, who believe in believing, and who can therefore see us."

"If You Could See Me Now" is a bit of a fantasy, a lot of enjoyment, and soon to be a musical starring Hugh Jackman.

- Gail Cooke

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, February 25, 2006
This third novel of Cecelia Ahern did not leave me disappointed in the least. It was romantic, whimsical, and refreshingly different. I highly recommend it and can't imagine anyone being disappointed by the end of the book, (except that it is the end). I'm happy to add it to my personal library along w/ her other books. It truly was an endearing story. I look forward to another book by this wonderful, inspiring, talented young author.

3.0 out of 5 stars i recieved this book as a gift!, January 7, 2007
Lizzinor Bennwood "Kiki" (Currently residing in Illinois, USA (Formerly of Wallasey, England)) - See all my reviews
This review is from: If You Could See Me Now (Paperback)
I recieved this book as a birthday gift from my best friend. It is not the type of book I would necessarily pick up and buy. The idea for the storyline is original and the characters are easily brought to life. Ivan inparticular lived on with me. As an imaginary friend, he definately brings life to the book, although his fate left me feeling cheated. Elizabeth could be slightly annoying at times, letting her family rule her life and basically closing herself off from everyone. I felt sorry for her nephew, Luke, who at 6 years of age has a mother who's an alcoholic with a peter pan syndrome and an aunty who shows him no love or affection. The book definately has it good moments and I enjoyed it enough to seek out Cecelia Ahern's previous 2 books. Overall, the story has good intentions, but you may find yourself rushing to get through it at times.

4.0 out of 5 stars not the best of this author, June 21, 2006
As an avid fan of Cecelia Ahern, when I saw her new book, I couldn't wait to get my hands on it. I ended up listening to the audio version (the full one, not the abridged one...) instead of reading it, but I don't think that changed my opinion on the novel.

To me, this was not the best novel Cecelia Ahern has written. I enjoyed both PS I Love You and Rosie Dunne more than If You Could See Me Now. It took me about 35 chapters to really get into the novel...for me, Elizabeth just had too many issues. As someone else's review has said...it's hard to believe that Elizabeth, who is so acute and aware of everything around her, didn't realize who "Ivan" was until the book was almost over.

The other thing that I did not like about this book is that it seemed like too many strings were left untied at the end. I don't want to give away the ending...so I'm not going to be specific, but to me, Elizabeth's family situation was never really concluded.

But enough negative stuff. I actually did really enjoy this novel. It was nice to be able to read something so different from the rest of this genre. Ivan's character gave me a lot of food for thought personally...something I always enjoy getting out of a good read.

With an open imagination, this book can most definitely be loved. I definitely enjoyed it, but, when recommending it, I would caution that it is not Ms. Ahern's best novel. A first time reader might want to try one of her others first.

5.0 out of 5 stars Grown up fairy tale., January 13, 2006
I bought this book not sure what to expect. I had read good reviews for it and thought I would give it a try. After buying it, I could barely lay it down, and in two days, read the entire novel. This book was refreshing. It was cleverly written, witty, emotional and not one bit cheesy. There's a point where I wondered how the author had managed to write about an 'imaginary' friend without it seeming too child like. The characters are three dimensional and I believe if you're from a small town or have a family, you can relate to at least one of them. It was beautiful and I would recommend it to anyone who was looking for something uplifting to read. As Ivan would say, it's my favorite.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting!, May 6, 2006
Elizabeth Egan has a perfectly organized life. Her free-spirited sister, Saiorse, has never been organized and has left Elizabeth to care for her six-year old son, Luke. All is well and good until Luke begins talking to an imaginary friend, Ivan. Elizabeth is initially very worried because Luke believes very deeply that he can see Ivan. She becomes even more worried when she begins to see Ivan as well. Elizabeth convinces herself that what she is seeing is not the so-called "imaginary" friend, but is in fact a neighbor or the father of one of Luke's friends. Ivan and Elizabeth begin forming a friendship and find themselves spending a great deal of time together. Ivan has many life lessons that he wants to teach Elizabeth but she is very reluctant to let go of her strict views of life. Will Ivan be able to bring out the child in Elizabeth before it is too late? If You Could See Me Now is the third novel by Irish author Cecelia Ahern. Ahern is very capable of telling a wonderfully magical and heartfelt story that explores the many themes of love and life. This is a wonderfully enchanting novel and a great read at any time of the year.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cecelia Ahern has done it again!, February 20, 2006
K. "daisy4given" (Northern Arizona, USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
"If you Could See Me Now" is another of Ahern's novels that at first glance may seem a bit odd, but once it has caught you in its web, you are unable to break free. In fact, after reading the synopsis of the novel I had to force myself to read it by reminding myself that Ahern isone of my favorite authors, otherwise I would never have read a story like this. A grown woman with an "imaginary" friend?! Please, I am an adult, why would I read a story like that? However, I was pleasantly surprised to find that it is anything but childish or silly. "If You Could See Me Now" is filled with deep insight into relationships, family, intimacy, and love. The entire book had me enraptured, entertained, and intrigued, and it made me think about life in a new, more whimsical way. As clich' as it to say, I laughed and I cried! This novel grabbed my attention and my heart, in the same way that Ahern's previous two novels did. I highly recommend it, and I can't wait to see what she comes out with next!

If You Could See Me Now
If You Could See Me Now by Cecelia Ahern (Paperback - January 9, 2007)
$13.95 $11.78