5.0 out of 5 stars If You Give a Dog A Donut: A Quality Addition To This Series
Published on October 16, 2011 by Tina Says

2.0 out of 5 stars Weak addition to an overwrought series.
Published on November 3, 2011 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars If You Give a Dog A Donut: A Quality Addition To This Series, October 16, 2011
This review is from: If You Give a Dog a Donut (Hardcover)
I will admit to waiting for the release of If You Give a Dog a Donut for a few months now. We have loved this series at our house and all three daughters have listened to and read them at some point. Even though my oldest daughter is a little too old for these books now, she was excited to add this one to our collection. And upon reading it, all of us agreed that this newest book is a good addition to this series, following along in the pattern of the other If You Give.... books. As a school librarian I will be purchasing a few copies for my library because this one will be a hit with my readers.

5.0 out of 5 stars A donut eating dog; boisterous and aims to cram as much joy as he can into his day!, October 14, 2011
Didaskalex "Eusebius Alexandrinus" (Kellia on Calvary, Carolinas, USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
*****
"This donut eating dog is boisterous and aims to cram as much joy as he can into his day. ..., this makes the young boy who owns him quite breathless in trying to keep up with his pet. This silly puppy is easily enticed by an offer of apple juice and donut, thus ending a perfectly energetic day." --Tatiana

Offering the donut was the initial act that triggered a magical sequence of events, one leading to another, into a day of outdoor activities. It refreshed my childhood play fables, where animals, plants, and forces of nature are actors that assume speech and connect with young kids' imagination, leading to the new game. The sociable dog opens the playtime with picking apples, dressing as a pirate, hunting for treasure, building and flying a kite, returning to the kitchen for a donut bite, dancing his way through the book pages. The involved Children's attention is captivated in this scenario. They enjoy participation, guessing 'what might happen next', as a narrative describing foreseeable interactions unfolding one after another.

Winning team Laura Numeroff and Felicia Bond, a pair dedicated to educating our kids through their "If You Give..." series show up with another animated riddle, which requires a word play. Numeroff has given the adorable doggy in, "If You Give a Pig a Party" his own story. If you give a dog a donut, he'll ask for some apple juice ... Kids could imagine that if they give a cat a cupcake, he will ask for topping and sprinkles, which to their delight he eventually spills, starting an engaging activity story that goes on, and on all the way. "If you give a dog a donut, he will ask for some apple juice to go with it. When you give him the juice, he'll drink it all up. Then, before you can say 'Woof'...Dog is off on a backyard adventure!"

5.0 out of 5 stars Love these books, October 17, 2011
R. Barrett (Schaumburg, IL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: If You Give a Dog a Donut (Hardcover)
Got this for a 5 year old who's learning how to read. Great series of books for a beginner reader - the stories are funny and silly and the picture correspond well with the text so he can look at the drawings to help figure out the words he doesn't know. The story is fun for any age kid.

2.0 out of 5 stars Weak addition to an overwrought series., November 3, 2011
This review is from: If You Give a Dog a Donut (Hardcover)
The first book in this set, If you give a mouse a cookie was inventive and beautifully illustrated. The follow-ons, if you give a pig a pancake and if you give a moose a muffin were reiterations of the same story, but still charming and well illustrated. This Dog a Donut book just comes across as cheap mimicry, despite retaining the original authorship and artist. Most of the book is very basic an uninteresting actions of a plainly illustrated dog, that is not even set on backgrounds, but a plain white page. This lack of detail and flair really pails in comparison to the vibrant and lively earlier works, lets hope this franchised is retired with this book so we can be spared any further degradation of the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars My son loves it!!, November 18, 2011
This review is from: If You Give a Dog a Donut (Hardcover)
I read some of the other books (If you give a moose..pig..etc.) I bought for my 3 yr old b/c my older son loved the pig book when he was small. It's my 3 yr old son's first experience w/me deployed and I sent this to him via Amazon. My mom had to read it to him 5 times the first night and tell him no more. Now every time my mom reads it, she still has to read it to him multiple times. Normally he'll choose another book for reading once we're done, so I know he adores this book.

2.0 out of 5 stars A tired theme, January 6, 2012
This review is from: If You Give a Dog a Donut (Hardcover)
Maybe I've read too many of these books, but I didn't like this newest one. The illustrations are largely white, so not intriguing to the eye, and the story is cumulative. This is fun for kids, but sometimes boring to parents reading them. My three-year-old liked it, but he likes the mouse, moose, and cat ones too. I personally returned it to the library faster than normal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book!, November 18, 2011
This review is from: If You Give a Dog a Donut (Hardcover)
My grandson loves this series of books. This one is wonderful! The illustrations are so cute! He took it to school and shared with his first grade class. They enjoyed it too!

5.0 out of 5 stars one of the best, October 20, 2011
This review is from: If You Give a Dog a Donut (Hardcover)
I love this series by Laura Numeroff and the addition of "If You Give a Dog a Donut" is one of the best of all the books. A little baseball, a little pirate action, definitely a fun read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dog Books, October 14, 2011
S. Butsch (Duncanville, TX.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: If You Give a Dog a Donut (Hardcover)
I bought this for my Great Nephew. I was a School Librarian and had the opportunity to read other Laura Numeroff books. This one is just as cute as all the others. I highly recommend it.

2.0 out of 5 stars cute but not impressed., May 20, 2013
This review is from: If You Give a Dog a Donut (Hardcover)
The idea of this book is adorable, however I just expected more. The story is short and choppy and my daughter is just not into it.

If You Give a Dog a Donut
If You Give a Dog a Donut by Laura Joffe Numeroff (Hardcover - October 4, 2011)
$16.99 $12.62