Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: If You Give a Dog a Donut
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Format: Hardcover|Change

VINE VOICEon October 16, 2011
I will admit to waiting for the release of If You Give a Dog a Donut for a few months now. We have loved this series at our house and all three daughters have listened to and read them at some point. Even though my oldest daughter is a little too old for these books now, she was excited to add this one to our collection. And upon reading it, all of us agreed that this newest book is a good addition to this series, following along in the pattern of the other If You Give.... books. As a school librarian I will be purchasing a few copies for my library because this one will be a hit with my readers.
on October 17, 2011
Got this for a 5 year old who's learning how to read. Great series of books for a beginner reader - the stories are funny and silly and the picture correspond well with the text so he can look at the drawings to help figure out the words he doesn't know. The story is fun for any age kid.
VINE VOICEon October 14, 2011
*****
"This donut eating dog is boisterous and aims to cram as much joy as he can into his day. ..., this makes the young boy who owns him quite breathless in trying to keep up with his pet. This silly puppy is easily enticed by an offer of apple juice and donut, thus ending a perfectly energetic day." --Tatiana

Offering the donut was the initial act that triggered a magical sequence of events, one leading to another, into a day of outdoor activities. It refreshed my childhood play fables, where animals, plants, and forces of nature are actors that assume speech and connect with young kids' imagination, leading to the new game. The sociable dog opens the playtime with picking apples, dressing as a pirate, hunting for treasure, building and flying a kite, returning to the kitchen for a donut bite, dancing his way through the book pages. The involved Children's attention is captivated in this scenario. They enjoy participation, guessing 'what might happen next', as a narrative describing foreseeable interactions unfolding one after another.

Winning team Laura Numeroff and Felicia Bond, a pair dedicated to educating our kids through their "If You Give..." series show up with another animated riddle, which requires a word play. Numeroff has given the adorable doggy in, "If You Give a Pig a Party" his own story. If you give a dog a donut, he'll ask for some apple juice ... Kids could imagine that if they give a cat a cupcake, he will ask for topping and sprinkles, which to their delight he eventually spills, starting an engaging activity story that goes on, and on all the way. "If you give a dog a donut, he will ask for some apple juice to go with it. When you give him the juice, he'll drink it all up. Then, before you can say 'Woof'...Dog is off on a backyard adventure!"
on November 3, 2011
The first book in this set, If you give a mouse a cookie was inventive and beautifully illustrated. The follow-ons, if you give a pig a pancake and if you give a moose a muffin were reiterations of the same story, but still charming and well illustrated. This Dog a Donut book just comes across as cheap mimicry, despite retaining the original authorship and artist. Most of the book is very basic an uninteresting actions of a plainly illustrated dog, that is not even set on backgrounds, but a plain white page. This lack of detail and flair really pails in comparison to the vibrant and lively earlier works, lets hope this franchised is retired with this book so we can be spared any further degradation of the series.
99 comments|20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 18, 2011
I read some of the other books (If you give a moose..pig..etc.) I bought for my 3 yr old b/c my older son loved the pig book when he was small. It's my 3 yr old son's first experience w/me deployed and I sent this to him via Amazon. My mom had to read it to him 5 times the first night and tell him no more. Now every time my mom reads it, she still has to read it to him multiple times. Normally he'll choose another book for reading once we're done, so I know he adores this book.
on February 17, 2016
I was pretty disappointed with this book. We now own the whole series of these books, this being our newest addition. I wish we had borrowed it from the library first because it's really pretty plain and boring. The pages are dull and mostly white, the donut and apple juice thing makes no sense, and the story itself sounds choppy and doesn't make much sense or flow together like the moose, mouse, and pig books. I have a soft spot for If You Give a Moose a Muffin so I had high hopes this book would be just as good as that and the others we own and it just wasn't. My 3 and 2 year old like it but they're pretty easy to please
on March 16, 2016
Another lovely installment in the "If You Give a...." series. These are my absolute favorite childrens books- I give them as gifts at every baby shower or birthday gifts to little ones. This book features an adorable pup and a delightfully predictable adventure. I love watching the littles learn logic and reasoning to understand the story.
the illustrations are exactly what you hope for from Ms. Bond, as well.
Laura Numeroff never disappoints and as always, I hope there is a next book!
on September 8, 2015
There is a whole series of "If you give a" books. They are all cleverly written and funny. My 2 year old daughter loves them and laughs hysterically when I read them. I enjoy reading them too. The pages are vibrant and the illustrations are beautiful. The pages are also durable and thick which I appreciate as a mom of a tot.

Overall, this is a beautiful, fun, and durable book that was well written. I recommend it. Check out "If you give a pig a pancake". (same author) That's our favorite book!
on January 17, 2012
This book is just like her other ones, but my son doesn't seem to like it as much as "When you give a moose a muffin" or "When you take a mouse to the movies". It's not as detailed and doesn't have as big of variety of pictures as the other books.
on October 2, 2015
This book is yet another in Laura Numeroff's "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished" series. It all began with a mouse...oh a lovable mouse who asked for a cookie, some milk, crayons, matches, a Pete Rose rookie card, and a basket full of plutonium. Okay, it's been awhile since I read it, so maybe that isn't exactly what happened.

This book is about a dog who wants a donut. The story is cute at first with the dog wanting a donut, then some juice, then running out of juice. Even the dog wanting to make its own juice is cute. Then, it all goes wonky. In, by far, the biggest non sequitur of the entire series, the dog hits a home run. They aren't even on a baseball field! I can suspend my disbelief only so much.

My daughter loves the mouse book. She thinks it is great. She is not, however, a fan of this one. It just is too outlandish, even coming from a series where a cute little mouse wore clothes. Also, though, some of the pages are nearly blank. It's as though Felicia Bond (the illustrator) started drawing then said, "Ah, whatever, people are going to buy it no matter what we do." If you give an illustrator a best seller, she apparently becomes lazy. If you like the series, then you'll probably like this one, too. You might as well complete the set. If you are not into the series in the first place, do yourself a favor and buy "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie" and skip this one.

Onto a quick aside... Look, maybe I am not into what is fashionable these days, but how many young boys carry around a bandanna? Also, if you are carrying around a bandanna and a dog wants to dry himself on it, you **are** able to say no, dude. Just tell the dog to layoff. I hope each of these books have a sequel, such as "If You Give a Dog a Donut (After You Grow a Spine)." It will be one page. Here, dog, have a donut. Now, get out. I am just hoping the next book in the series is "If you give your neighbor's kids lots of chocolate before they go back home." Because I swear my neighbor does that to me all the time.