Professional restaurant supplies Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Sturgill Simpson Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

Format: Paperback|Change

on March 8, 2000
I highly recommend this book. My children, 6 and 4 years old, could easily put themselves into the very clearly described settings. They got a real feel for what life was like in colonial days. It was fun to read - made for GREAT family time!
on June 12, 2003
Of all the history on daily life, no book offers more practical insight into the daily lives of Colonists.
The Bible says, "Out of the mouths of babes..." Perhaps the same is true "For the eyes/ears of babes..."
Truly excellent. In all my searching through so many standard old history books, I could not find answers to the questions this book resolved.
Best of all, our kids love it!
on March 22, 2008
This was a good book for History. While some of the information we already knew there was a fair amount of new stuff too. It is in question - answered format. The colonial time period was much longer than I thought, People had to make everything, they went to school but not so much to doctors, and a whole lot more. I would recommend it for 1-3rd grade.
on January 7, 2001
A really fun, well orgainized book. My 6 and 9 year olds loved it and so did I (Mom). We have been back to it many times, looking at particular sections. I am now ordering other titles in the series.
on April 3, 2009
This book is a good introduction to colonial times. This book is intended for 4th+ grade. It is wordy with a colored 'sketch' in each two-page spread. Good information and easy to use with the question/answer format.
on March 26, 2015
My children and I frequently visit historical sites, watch documentaries, and listen to the Colonial Williamsburg podcasts. In preparation for our next trip, I decided to read aloud "If You Lived in Colonial Times." First of all, it isn't about Colonial Times in the American colonies, but Colonial Times in New England. However, even given the narrowed subject matter, I was surprised by much of the information and how it conflicted with what we'd learned about the colonies from other, more recent, sources. Much of the information in this book reflects outdated ideas and theories about the colonial period. For instance, there were marketplaces in colonial towns, which included vegetable and meat sales. The book explicitly says there were no markets and people made all their own goods. Religion was an important part of some of the colonies there weren't strict rules governing behavior in church nor did meetings last four hours on Sunday's as the book claims. At no point was slavery mentioned, and native Americans were only mentioned in terms of colonists learning about corn from the Indians and planting "in the Indian way." Half way through the book, it occurred to me to check the copyright page. The text copyright is 1964. Illustrations copyright is 1992. The cover says "New and Updated," but I suspect based on the copyright page that only the pictures were changed. The book itself could be a useful starting point if placed in context and elaborated upon, but since it's aimed at younger children (mine are 5 & 8 and listened intently), I'm concerned this book will be taken as fact. It desperately needs a true updating of content, and ideally the title, not just pictures.
on December 19, 2012
I enjoyed this book. I have a first grader and a second grader. We have been studying colonial America and I thought this might be a good book to bring the times to life. It was much longer than I had anticipated but that's just fine. We read out of it during the whole time we studied the colonies. I think they learned quite a few things (as did I). It's not the "fun," simplistic story that I had thought it would be but it contained a lot of interesting information. I would definitely recommend it.
on January 11, 2014
This is a very detailed account of what life was like during this time period. It is written at a very high level, which might take extra explanation for small ones (preschool) but it has lots of information which makes it interesting for older students. I especially like that it well explained what life was like for the children which made it high interest for my students.
on January 20, 2016
This is an extremely interesting book. My children learned from it and now I want my grand children to be able to read it. So I bought a copy for each household. I have always wondered about the strictness for church services that is described in this book. I have since learned that the was not that degree of strictness about church services. That is the only thing I found that was not, or did not, sound correct.
on September 4, 2013
How did people live in colonial times? What did they wear? What did they eat? How did they survive? This book answers these questions and many more, in easy to read text and charming illustrations. I don't trust the public school system to present a straightforward view of American history these days. This book helps to bridge that unfortunate gap in our modern education.