Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Adele Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: Kindle Edition|Change

on April 28, 2014
**Free ebook in exchange for an honest review**

Be aware: my opinions may contain veiled spoilers, so read at your own risk

I have to say, this was a love story like I haven't read in years!
I'm a bit sick of all the sex and drama that it's been used in romance books lately. Is like, if there isn't a huge trauma from the past and a super hot tattoed hunk or a Mr. Sexy Money on the plot, the story won't work. I mean, come on!!

If You Loved Me is a great story because is more realistic, because is about two people that loved each other in the past and are reconnected 20 years later --when they're responsible adults-- and all that was between them comes back up like an unstoppable fire. But their lives are so different there's no way a relationship would work for them. They knew that as teenagers and they know it now. Still, there is a force pulling them together that neither of them can control.

There were a couple of things I didn't loved, but is not like there were that bad. I mean, first the whole thing with her son being missing... the part where they find the boys it was a bit too easyly resolved, I think, because after all that tension and fear it only took like two pages to have it all sorted out... I believe it could have been better, but I also understand that the story wasn't really about that, it was about Emma and Gray, so they needed to finish what they'd started.
Second, both of them are very stubborn people that are fixated in the fact there is no way to unify their worlds. But then an explanation coming out of Gray's past is what brings it all to a perfectly round end... I mean, he was a complicated man who didn't want to admit his feelings, but I don't think it was necessary to "explain" his attitude with a childhood drama, I think they could have figured it out together if they'd really wanted to.

Leaving that aside, I loved this story, it was mature and sexy and realistic and... and I just loved it :D
on October 10, 2015
Emma had dated Paul in high school but had strong feelings for Gray. Gray wanted Emma to move to a home in the wilderness with him but Emma had always wanted to be a doctor so Gray left her and made his home in the wilderness. When Gray left Emma, she turned to Paul and they married. After Paul's death, Emma and Paul's son decided to have an kayaking adventure with a close friend and disappeared in the wilds. Emma was desperate to find her son and turned to Gray for his help. Gray was a wildlife photographer who was familiar with the wilderness area and agreed to help Emma find him. During their time together searching for Emma's son and his friend, Gray and Emma reconnected and recognized the deep feelings they had for one another.

I enjoyed reading about Emma and Gray's story. I was given this book in exchange for an honest review.
on November 27, 2012
Emma Garrett had turned down her first and greatest love, wildlife photographer Gray McKenzie, in order to follow her dream of becoming a doctor, Gray offered Emma an idyllic life in the wilderness, but she wanted to become a doctor and was not willing to give up her dreams. Now widowed, and with her son missing on a kayaking trip, Emma needs Gray's help. Together, they will have to find find Emma's son and his friend as well as find their way back to the passion they once shared.

While I was reading I was hoping that the author would deliver a romance filled with passion and more depth. I found it lacking in those areas but the plot is pretty good and this book is a good read.
on November 5, 2012
Thinking about this book, the landscape and environment were more memorable than the characters. But the characters were all right. If you get into intense angsty romances, with ostensibly unresolovable conflicts, you'll probably like it. The heroine is a surgeon, but she never seemed like a surgeon to me.
on August 7, 2014
If you like first loves/lost love stories, this is a good one! It is definitely not your typical romance and the plot is really good. Emma and Gray were first loves and then separate as each has a different path they want to take in life. Their breakup is not nice and Emma runs into the arms of her former boyfriend. Fast forward 18 years...Emma, now a single mom, is a pediatric surgeon with a 17 yr old son who is missing from going on a kayaking trip. Gray is a famous outdoor photographer, wildlife expert who she goes to in the hopes that he will help her find her son.

This is a really good story. What I liked about it is, that unlike most romance stories, this is very realistic. It shows the honest struggles between 2 people who did/do love each other but have completely different lifestyles. I liked both Emma and Gray although it took me awhile to like Gray. He is simply a tough, outdoor guy who is somewhat mean/rude to Emma and it's hard to understand at first. As the book unfolds and you get some insight to him, I definitely wanted Gray to get his happen ending.

I did feel that the sideline story of her lost son was anti-climatic but again, that really wasn't what this book was about. Although, I guess I expected and would have liked a bit more drama over that. The author does a great job of describing the outdoors and you feel like you can see it.

This is the second book I have read by this author. The other was Seeing Stars and I absolutely loved that book. In both of these books, I really liked the fact that the H/h are older (late 30s), established, educated career people who are basically happy in their lives when they find each other. I felt like both of these books could actually been real life love stories as they come across realistic at least in my opinion! While there is some hot scenes, the stories are not focused all around that and again, it's refreshing.
I will definitely look forward to reading more of Vanessa Grant's books.
on June 4, 2016
I was glued to this book, from about 1/4 of the way through, to the end. The outcome was in doubt until the very end. I skipped all of my chores to finish it. Luckily, it was a weekend day.
(One disappointment: the last 12% of the book was an intro to another book. I would have preferred that it was an epilogue to this book.)
The characters were very human and likable. The struggles they went through made sense. And the romance was lovely. I really enjoyed this novel.
on April 12, 2014
Vanessa Grant’s novel, If You Loved Me, is a story that delivered all the elements I love: a great adventure, memorable characters and a love that endures the test of time.
Emma Garret and Gray McKenzie fell in love with each other when they were in their teens, but they were both afraid to give their love a chance. Now a decade and a half later, Emma Garret saves children as a pediatric surgeon, but the only person who can save her son when he goes missing while kayaking in the wild waters off the Pacific coast of northern British Columbia is Gray McKenzie, a wildly successful nature photographer, and the man Emma once thought would be her husband and the father of her children. In the process of finding Emma’s son, they must both face their physical and emotional fears.
Vanessa Grant’s novel is an exciting, fast-paced adventure offering up passion, danger and enduring love. I loved it!
on October 7, 2015
I received a copy of this book for an honest review. I really enjoyed this book. The story had great images of the of the wilderness along with realist characters. It starts with a young sheltered girl with a dream who falls in love with a complicated man. She goes on to pursue her dream until a crisis with her son comes up. The story is not your typical love story. I liked that the story was not filled with a lot of graphic sex. It focused more on the characters feelings. I highly recommend reading this book, especially if you are looking for a great love story about first love's.
on July 16, 2015
I was given a complimentary copy of this book in exchange for my honest review. This is a love story like no other. Would you go back in time to your first love to ask for help for your son? That is exactly what Emma did. Her son was missing and she felt the only one who could find him was Gray, her first love. The story unfolds from there. I am not going to spoil it for you by telling what happens just suffice it to say it is an adventure.
on June 27, 2013
I loved this book. I stayed up half the night because I couldn't put it down. Emma and Gray's story was truly touching,when Emma son goes missing on his wilderness trip she knows only one man to help her...her first love and the one she has loved her whole life. It was a very well written story. You won't be disappointed.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse