5.0 out of 5 stars Good product. Better price.
I had been wanting a compact refrigerator for awhile now. Finally decided to get one -- and I must say this is a fine choice.

Published on April 21, 2006 by A. White

2.0 out of 5 stars Gets cold in the back-- REALLY cold
For the most part, this refridgerator has done a good job keeping the drinks cold, and the size is reasonable: small on the outside, big on the inside, perfect for the dorm room. The interior is sound and the temperature is very cold, even on the minimum setting.

Published on September 18, 2006 by A. Yu

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Gets cold in the back-- REALLY cold, September 18, 2006
This review is from: Igloo FR180 1.7-Cu-Ft Stainless Steel Door Refrigerator (Kitchen)

So why did it lose three stars? Because of one minor flaw, and one serious problem. The minor flaw is that while the fridge keeps the things inside cold, the top and sides get uncomfortably warm. Not enough to set anything on fire, but definitely not the thing you want to put your bare hand on for long. Good if you want to keep lunch warm though.

As for the serious problem-- the pipe in the back gets really, really cold. After running this for three weeks, my mother noticed that the fridge was leaking water. Upon further inspection, I noticed that it wasn't a leak...it was water dripping from MELTING ICE THAT HAD FORMED around one of the pipes in the back of the fridge, just outside of the insulation that had wrapped around the pipe. The chunk was about an inch and a half in diameter, and looked like a chunk of white foam wrapped around the pipe.

It took me 15 minutes to ease the ice off, then as I was inspecting the pipe under the insulating cover, another chunk of ice popped out. All told, it took about 20 minutes to get the mess handled, but I'm glad my mother noticed the water dripping when she did, otherwise, I fear that the fridge might have short circuited and cost us $100 in the process.

EDIT: In regards to the ice--the refridgerator's parts seem to be watertight, so you don't have to worry about the ice harming it. I do recommend that, should you buy this fridge, to either put some foam/insulation around the pipe to reinforce the one already present, or, more simply, just putting a tray under the ice to catch the drips.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good product. Better price., April 21, 2006

The first thing I noticed about it was it was a little bigger then I expected for some reason. But it is relativly light and movable. One thing I really like about it is the look, the front is stainless steel, with the 2 sides and top being a very nice looking glossy black. Inside the Fridge is pretty roomy. Well, as roomy as a Mini-Fridge can be anyways.

Now on to the operation. It gets really cold, and I keep it at the setting of 3. It goes all the way up to 7. It's got a nice little ice tray on the top which is a nice feature...although the little freezer tray does seem to get some frost build up over time, which I'm not really a fan of. Also, the Fridge is not loud at all -- at first I noticed it being on just because I wasn't used to having a compact Fridge in my room. But soon after I forgot it was even there.

All in all, this Fridge is a very nice product and the price is supurb. For $100, I was expecting it to look and operate somewhat clunky, but I was pleasently suprised at it's good looks and quiet operation. I recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice product., April 14, 2005
I bought this for my office. I looks great, and works fine. It also was received very fast. I was amazed how quickly I received it. One issue though; it has one of the most lacking owner's manuals, so be prepared for trial and error. I know a fridge is not the most complicated equipment, but I had to guess which way the cold adjustment knob was supposed to go to make the fridge colder. The knob is also down in the back, so if you have to adjust, it is a bit of a reach. Now that I figured things out, though, I really am pleased.

1.0 out of 5 stars Stay away from Igloo products!!, August 18, 2006
I purchased an Igloo refrigerator and within a few weeks it completely stopped working. Curtis International (Igloo's parent company) has terrible customer service and will not honor customer warranties. After a year of trying to ge this resolved, I have found out that they have an unsatisfactory record with the Better Business Bureau and have many of these types of complaints. STAY AWAY FROM IGLOO PRODUCTS!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars loud little bugger, September 12, 2006
Fridge does what it is supposed to do (keeps food cold) but has an annoyingly loud hum most of the time. If you care about having a quiet office or dorm room, I would look elsewhere.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad Fridge, August 18, 2009
Anne Mahoney "Anne Mahoney" (Universal City, CA United States) - See all my reviews
We ordered this refrigerator from Amazon; the first one came dented and wouldn't close; the second one the door hinge was broken (Amazon's return policy made sending these two back easy to do, thank you for that). The third fridge arrived and seemed fine until one month later food would freeze solid or spoil -- the temperature gauge obviously does not work. I do not recommend this refrigerator to anyone.

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY THIS ITEM!, February 20, 2010
I first ordered this item a few weeks ago and took my chances with the mixed reviews and received a dented and USED (dirty inside) refrigerator. Granted the item is lovely and would have loved it replaced with a NEW one...but instead when I received my replacement, it was broken (cracked outside piece) and dirty inside again! I am not happy with this purchase and Amazon took forever to get UPS to come pick it up. Really dissatisfied.

1.0 out of 5 stars quit working and no recourse, April 12, 2010
i purchased this little fridge for my office. after about 8 monthes, it just stopped working. i called amazon, who told be to call igloo, who told me to call curtis international and about 40 minutes later i finally got someone on the phone. i got someone in india who refused to give me an address where i could ship it to until i gave him my credit card info. he kept outlinging charges ($7 for insurance, $35.00 for parts, etc) and wouldn't give me an address until he had my credit card info. i didn't trust him, and i won't buy another igloo or curtis product.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's Great!, March 23, 2006
We have the refrigerator by our computer.We keep can drinks in it.It works great. We are very pleased.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not an Igloo - didn't last a year, May 14, 2012
We bought two of these less than a year ago. One just crapped out, stopped cooling completely. Called Igloo about the warranty and they promptly indicated its not their product. Its made by some Chinese company that bought the use of the Igloo name. So we had to call a third party, pay half the price of the fridge to ship it back to them, and they say they will fix it or replace it with a refurbed unit. Thought we were buying quality with Igloo, but we learned you can't trust even a well known brand name!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Igloo FR180 1.7-Cu-Ft Stainless Steel Door Refrigerator
$143.88
In stock. Usually ships within 3 to 4 days.