Professional restaurant supplies Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS

Format: Paperback|Change

on June 2, 2010
This will be a very quick review as I've only had a couple of hours to go over this new study Bible. I have been a Protestant of the Southern Baptist persuasion my entire life, but I am open to a possible change to Catholicism.

I got the paperback version and I am very happy with the quality. It is a substantial book that almost has a textbook like feel to it.

They use the Revised Standard Version Second Catholic Edition (RSV-SCE) for the text. Interestingly, it reads very much like the Protestant English Standard Version (ESV). Both are updates of the Revised Standard Version (RSV). Both removed archaic pronoun references to God, e.g. thee, thy, thou, etc. Both have "corrected" several verses where the original RSV was perceived to have favored a more liberal translation philosophy. The RSV-SCE text is definitely better than the New American Bible so it was a good choice for this study Bible.

I was pleasantly surprised by the volume, range, and thoroughness of the notes and articles. There is a substantial amount of information here. I am most interested in the Index of Doctrines in the appendix. For any given doctrine, they provide Biblical references and commentary regarding that doctrine. That alone should make this a must read for Protestants. They generally don't know what they are "protesting" so here's a good way to find out. But, I warn them that they could discover they don't have anything to protest.

The text size is another bonus for this Bible. Most Bibles say they are printing readable text at 7 and 8 points--I don't think so. I am young, and I have good eyesight. Seven point text is small no matter your age. This Bible uses at least 10pt text, but it's probably more like 12pt. The text has the same appearance you would expect in any other book rather than the micro-type in most Bibles.

While not quite as extensive as the ESV Study Bible, it is very thorough. And for those interested in Catholic doctrine, it is a must-read.

Like I said, this is a quick review. So I'll just end by saying that I highly recommend the Ignatius Catholic Study Bible New Testament.
2626 comments|674 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 24, 2010
I have been waiting for this Bible for quite some time now. Hahn and Mitch have rendered an excellent product. The study essays and other "extras" make this study bible a must have.

This is also a good Catholic apologetics bible. Good essays addressing objections to Catholic doctrines, with the main scriptural citations backing up the doctrines, are supplied. A wonderful explaination is supplied explaining how, when Saint Paul writes that we are not justified by "works OF THE LAW," he is not talking about the "good works" Saint James discusses, but Paul is referring to the Old Testament "works" of the Mosaic Law. In other words, we are not "justified" by continuing mandatory circumcision or by making burnt offerings, animal sacrifices, etc. Accordingly, the main thrust of the Protestant Reformation is based on a misunderstanding of what St. Paul was talking about in Romans. The essay covering the foregoing does a much better job than yours truly just did.

The paper quality is B+...but it's a study Bible. Mine is already highlighted and penciled in. The only thing that will make it better is when they finish the OT and make a single (massive) volume. Highly recommend. God Bless.

(EDIT: Since writing this review I have been given The Navarre Bible - New Testament Expanded Edition. Equally wonderful, but in a completely different way. I have been reading the Navarre commentaries after reading the coverage in the Ignatius and the two together are amazing. It's a lot of Bible to be toting around, but if you think about what the Church Fathers had to deal when all the books were simply 'scrolls', this isn't much to complain about.)
1717 comments|310 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 1, 2010
This is an excellent study bible, as many of the reviewers have noted. The Kindle implementation is also very well done, which is not so easy as it may sound. Ignatius press did not simply take the text and present it electronically. They took full advantage of the possibilities of the Kindle in designing the book's internal navigation:

1. Links to the explanatory footnotes are represented by underlined text.
2. Links to alternate renderings of the text are represented by superscript single letters.
3. Links to other passages of the bible which throw light are the present passage are represented by superscript single numbers (the verse numbers). If the reference is to another part of the new testament, a link in the footnote takes you there.

This is easily the best cross-linking system I've seen in any book on the Kindle.

The Kindle version contains almost everything from the hardcover version except for the concordance (which is unnecessary given the Kindle's search capability). Of course, the color maps in the printed version are black and white on the Kindle - a minor inconvenience.

If you have a Kindle, I strongly recommend you get a copy of this study bible even if you've already purchased the printed version (as I have).

Kudos to Ignatius Press for its excellent design of the Kindle version (as well as of the printed ones).
1010 comments|194 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 28, 2010
Having collected the paperback editions of several books of the Ignatius Study Bible, I was thrilled to get the whole New Testament in one inexpensive hardbound volume.

The Catholic edition of the Revised Standard Version of the Bible is the best translation for Bible study, and the extensive, orthodox notes help any reader to understand this Bible with the mind of the Church.

Yes, I said "orthodox." "Jesus Seminar" fans and others looking for reasons to reject Spripture will not find such reasons here. The Igatius Catholic Study Bible is a NT for BELIEVERS wanting to learn more.
0Comment|156 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 30, 2010
Yay! Finally a Catholic Study Bible that is unashamedly Catholic. I have been waiting for years for this - suffering through Protestant Study Bibles that deny key teachings of the Catholic Church. This is a great Bible that I will use with my Protestant brothers and sisters to defend our great faith.
0Comment|86 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 4, 2010
I have happily used/read many of the individual volumes that I knew would eventually be published as this complete New Testament. When this single volume arrived I was expecting what I already had but bound in a one volume. I got a lot more than I bargained for - in a very positive way. The font size is great, the quality of the binding and feel, texture, width of the pages is first rate. The back matter - concordance, index of doctrine, index of parables and miracles, maps, charts and more - is wonderful.

For those not familiar with Ignatius Catholic Study Bible you won't be disappointed. The copious notes are interesting and informative but rarely if ever "speculative." The Catechism of the Catholic Church is frequently cross-referenced by paragraph number. Moreover, there are very helpful outlines, summaries, word studies, essays and more. This single volume New Testament is a modern Catholic tool for popular study of Sacred Scripture that has been sorely lacking. I am grateful to the authors, and I look forward to using this volume in the religious education program at my parish.
on May 28, 2010
After twelve long years, the Ignatius Study Bible New Testament has arrived! Before this volume was produced, a number of small booklets covering all of the NT books were released. Now they can all be purchased in one volume for a very economical price.

The dimensions of the volume surpised me. I had assumed that Ignatius Press would produce a volume very similar to the ESV Study Bible. I, in fact, hope Ignatius still does that once the whole Bible is ready for printing (whenever that is!). This volume is 10 x 7 inches and 1.5 inches thick. It is not nearly as portable as I had hoped. No where, in fact, did Ignatius Press or Amazon.com (at least as of a few days ago) actually list dimensions for the book. It is almost as if Ignatius wanted to hide that knowledge from those who might purchase the book. Still, there is one great advantage to these dimensions - the font is larger and easier to read!

The hardback is a beautiful dark blue with the same gilded icon design found on the Ignatius Bible Second Edition. I think you'll find it beautiful. The leather version is probably even more impressive. I wonder, however, about the paper in that volume. The paper used in the hard back was not even close to Bible paper. It was perhaps thinner than paper you might find in a cheap paperback novel but the quality was not nearly what you would find inside the RSV2CE. I was the first person to review that Bible here at Amazon.com several years ago and I assumed (my mistake!) that Ignatius would use that sort of glossy, smooth paper in the final product. Perhaps Ignatius will do that in the final version of the WHOLE Bible? Again, Ignatius should look to the ESV Study Bible as a model to follow.

Inside the New Testament, you'll find a very handy concise concordance, an extremely useful doctrinal index, and several other useful tools. There are also indices for all of the charts, maps, topical essays and word studies in the volume. All of these tools cover ONLY the New Testament. The copious notes are the real treasure of the Bible, however. The editors did an excellent job explaining the text and its significance, and added wonderful cross-references to the rest of the Bible and The Catechism of the Catholic Church. All of this for a very reasonable price!

I hope Ignatius Press does a better job with the handling of the rest of this project. Will we have to wait twelve years for the Old Testament? I sure hope not!
44 comments|76 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 12, 2012
The paper copy of this Bible is a tremendous study aid. It is easy to flip back and forth between the text and study information.

However, the Kindle version is an absolute waste of money. When the text is on your screen, nowhere is there an indication of which book in the New Testament you are viewing. I find this oversight to be completely unacceptable. Scott Hahn's name appears at the top of each page but you never know which book you are reading. Why can't Scott Hahn's name be replaced with the book name, chapter and verse?

Come on Amazon...if you want Kindle to be useable, fix this problem or have Hahn fix it.

Until that happens...don't waste your money on the electronic version
77 comments|81 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 2, 2010
The Ignatius Catholic Study Bible has excellent commentary and is an incredible value. The commentary tends to be more textual than, for instance, the Navarre Bible. That is, it has fewer notes from the Fathers of the Church or Church Councils, but more notes about the idioms and historical context in the text. Sprinkled throughout the book are helpful maps, charts and sidebars that give more in-depth discussion of the text.

I also have the Navarre Bible, and I think the Ignatius and Navarre bibles complement each other.

Highly recommended. I can't wait for the Old Testament!
on June 3, 2010
The Ignatius Catholic Study Bible New Testament is an extraordinary study bible in many ways, and very reasonably priced for the wealth of information it provides. The Revised Standard Version is an excellent literal yet readable translation. The commentary on the biblical text is both scholarly and easy to understand at the same time. The notes are extensive, covering far more verses than other study bibles. Difficult theological passages get special attention in "break-out commentaries," and there are numerous maps, charts, and word studies imbedded throughout. Notes tie together themes of both the Old and New Testaments, and articulate how doctrines found in the verses have been expressed through the history and traditions of Christianity. There is a very nice concordance at the back of the book, as well as an index of Jesus' parables and metaphors, and one of his miracles. There is a unique doctrinal index as well that identifies verses from which various doctrines originate. All notes are recorded on the same page as the biblical text, so there is no flipping around the pages to find the commentary. The print is easy to ready, the paper of high quality, the binding seems durable. This is perhaps the finest study bible I've seen, even though it is limited to the New Testament. As I understand it, an Old Testament version is in the works but will not be ready for years. Until then, this is a superior New Testament work well worth the price.