5.0 out of 5 stars I don't think you should buy it...
Published on April 25, 2012 by FitJerk

2.0 out of 5 stars Just ok. Beware of the 5 star reviews.
Published on August 1, 2012 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars I don't think you should buy it..., April 25, 2012
...because I want to keep being better than you. But if you want to even the playing field, then this one really is a no-brainer. What I like about Jon is that he is a self made man. Which means his approach is unique (hint: not the same c*ap you see everywhere else). and therefore it works. In an economy where most trainers are going out of business, this man knows how to flourish. There are a thousand ways to spend your money. This just might be one of the best ways.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW! This is the right book!, April 4, 2013
This review is from: Ignite the Fire -: The Secrets to Building a Successful Personal Training Career (Paperback)
I am currently preparing to begin my career in personal training. This is the first industry related book I picked up to read while trying to identify and organize all the questions and thoughts swirling around in my head as to the specific choices and paths I may take. I could not have picked a better book to read. Not only did I get answers to most all my immediate questions, but this book got me even MORE excited for this next chapter in my life. The "words of wisdom" throughout and quotes from successful individuals in this field were thought provoking. I enjoyed the examples provided in the text as to "what to do if this happens.." and how to recognize and identify different "types" of clients. Jonathan does a wonderful job explaining why he does what he does and the pros and cons of certain choices we are faced with in this field. This book will no doubt be a reference guide for me as I continue on my journey. AMAZING!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The final, but most important peice of the puzzle, May 7, 2012
Jon's book has the essentials of what a personal trainer needs to know to get started - and succeed. As a young trainer, I could recite to you all exercise and training physiology in the world. Ignite the fire shares the side of personal training not covered in any book or course: the PERSONAL. Stop wondering why clients aren't coming to you despite your knowledge and read this book to understand what really makes a successful personal trainer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nothing groundbreaking, but still good information, February 6, 2013
The "secrets" in Ignite the Fire aren't exactly well-kept, but Jon is a good writer and he is able to put these ideas together in a way that is easy to understand and implement. Definitely a must-read for trainers new in the industry.

2.0 out of 5 stars Just ok. Beware of the 5 star reviews., August 1, 2012
Amazon Customer (Fort Worth, TX United States) - See all my reviews
Just had to update my review after noticing this book has a trend to it that seems to be getting more common, something I've noticed with many books I've purchased due to great reviews and found the books to be average at best. Tons of gushing 5 star reviews with almost all of them written by people who haven't written any other reviews. I would hope I'm wrong, but most of them were probably either written by people who were prodded to go write a great review by the publisher/author/marketing company, or some possibly even fabricated. I've been seeing this with a lot of books on Amazon once someone pointed out the trend. Its really simple. Go to the reviewers that you are "trusting" to tell you the truth about the quality and content of the book, click on "See All My Reviews" right by their name. If the overwhelming majority of them are 5 star reviews telling you that you "need" the book, I would take them with a serious grain of salt.

I finished the book about 3 or 4 weeks after I got it. After seeing over 30 reviews and all of them 5 star, I was really excited about the book. When I got it and started reading, my enthusiasm steadily diminished as I read through and realized this book was a big collection of information that is rather generic in nature. I've been training for a few years and was hoping to find some great info to take things to the next level. I have to say that the business guidance that was covered with the training certification that I got was more comprehensive and actionable. The author clearly has enthusiasm and the book would likely be beneficial to newcomers to the training industry. Beyond that, I wouldn't recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential!, May 29, 2012
As a fan of [...] I couldn't wait to read Jon's book. I am so glad I did! This will be a reference for me for years to come. As a fitness instructor who is new to personal training, I could not imagine a more comprehensive, honest and intelligent book. It is FANTASTIC, and a MUST read for personal trainers of any experience level. I loved the advice about avoiding complacency and the 10 typical types of clients and how to handle them. It was simply wonderful cover-to-cover. Way to go, Jon!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for fitness professionals at any stage, July 6, 2012
Jon's book should be required reading for anybody starting their career in fitness, and seasoned professionals will benefit from the reminders too. There is no detail left out about what it takes to become a trainer, what to expect, and how to be successful. I only wish this gem had been written when I was a new trainer, this is the stuff they don't teach you in school or the certification courses!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hugely Informative, May 29, 2012
This is a book that would be great to read for anyone who works in a job where they have to deal with other people whether that is in Sales, Dentistry, Marketing etc as it gives a great insight into working with a broad range of personalities in an effective manner.

For Personal Trainers I would say that it is an excellent resource for anyone who wants to be successful in the industry. Always relevant, ineresting, informative and inspiring, Jonathan has a great ability to draw on his own experience within the Fitness industry in a very clear and down to earth manner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book!, May 27, 2012
All I can say say is that this book should be required reading to become a personal trainer.

Having been in the industry for years on the commercial side and independent side, I can say that this book is right on the mark when it comes to being a successful personal trainer. I wish this book was around when I was responsible for developing new trainers because it would have saved me a lot of work!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must-Have For Any Personal Trainer, May 2, 2012
This book covers *everything*. How to start. Where to start. How to get clients. How to communicate with clients. How to keep clients. And so much more. He gives many examples and interviews other, famous fitness coaches for their input and advice.

I haven't seen a resource like this that talks about so many of the how-to's of personal training -- I've already filled mine with highlights! I had a lot of confusion about marketing myself, and this book offered many solutions. I can't wait to try them out. Cheers!

$22.99 $18.30