• Igor
  • Customer Reviews

Igor
Format: DVDChange
Price:$4.00+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

I can see why some people hated this film, because if you bought the DVD to keep your young children occupied, you didn't get your money's worth. 'Igor' is really for old horror buffs, but it tried to play both sides of the field. It's too adult for kids and not dark enough for adults.

The animation is very good and looks more than a little inspired by 'The Nightmare Before Christmas'. The voice work isn't bad, but the film doesn't have enough inspired characters to keep the momentum going. Most of the comic relief comes from an immortal rabbit who wants to die!

Overall I think if you like old horror films and animated films you'll like 'Igor', but it will not keep the little ones interested. The DVD has an excellent transfer, but not a lot of extras. There is an alternate beginning that is interesting.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 8, 2009
I have seen most of the computer generated animated movies. The Pixar ones, naturally, are the best in terms of script quality and overall likability for all ages. The non-Pixar ones are usually pretty good but not up to that quality (Shrek, Over the Hedge, Madagascar, etc.), but some are not good at all in my opinion such as Madagascar 2 and Happy Feet to name a few. It all depends on what you want out of an animated movie. I personaly look for an engaging plot and most of all the funny one-line quips that are a staple of this genre. The main thing for me with this movie was its originality. The plot is really unique and there were tons of funny one-liners that I chuckled at throughout. My kids 7 & 9 also were laughing and we watched it twice. I had never even heard of this movie and just picked it off the shelf at Blockbuster, and I am really glad I did. I would say this is one of the best non-Pixar animated movies I've seen.
on August 4, 2009
All Igor(voiced by John Cusack) ever wanted was to be an evil scientist, unfortunately in the kingdom of Malaria(where our tale takes place) that big ole' hunch on his back could only mean one thing, he would always be just an Igor.(If he didn't get recycled for parts first!)

One day Igor gets the chance to prove be can really be an evil scientist when his master Dr. Glickenstein(John Cleese) becomes the victim of his own experiment and Igor decides to take his only chance to fulfill his dreams of winning the evil science fair.

Igor turns to his only two friends to help him, a Brain who named himself Brian on accident(Sean Hayes) and Scamper(Steve Buscemi) who Igor accidentally made immortal and constantly tries to commit suicide. Their plan comes into motion when Igor remembers his blueprints to create life into a purely evil monster, something no evil scientist has ever done in the entire history of Malaria!

Only their plan goes awry when Igor forgets to activate their new creations evil bone, and Eva(Molly Shannon) instead becomes overly kind and instead of destroying cities or killing blind orphans dreams of becoming an actress.

Maybe an homage to Tim Burton, definitely a re-telling of Frankenstein but Igor still carries a completely fresh and poignant look at a beloved genre in the film industry; horror.

Igor is creative, witty and completely different from any animated film that I for one have seen in a very long time. The humor is sarcastic, and a little sardonic and honestly it probably flies right over 80 percent of it's viewers heads.

Maybe I'm biased seeing as how I love pretty much everything Cusak touches, but I for one wouldn't mind adding this one to my dvd collection.
on March 29, 2010
I was very dissappointed by this movie. Granted I knew it wasn't a blockbuster, but the whole story was flawed. The main character's companion bunny spends the entire movie depressed and trying to kill himself, but he's been genetically modified to be unkillable. So he goes through various means of trying to commit suicide and keeps living, which makes him unhappy-er. Great for kids, huh? Then the whole premise of creating things to blackmail the world to pay their town was pretty adult concept. I didn't find a whole lot of humor in the story either. I really didn't want to have my little kids (5 & 8) watching a movie where one of the characters is depressed and tries to kill himself, but after starting the movie was in an awkward situation as kids love movies. They seemed to take it stride, but I was cringing. I would not bother with this one~!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I picked up IGOR at a discount, not knowing anything about it other than what was written on the back of the case. I love old horror movies and I love wacky comedy, so I figured it might be worth it. I've watched it three times now, enjoying it more each time. True, it gets off to a slow start. John Cusack's voice-over back-story opening is very weak. It's not particularly funny and he doesn't do it well. I almost gave up. But I'm nothing if not persistent. The result: It's a stitch! Once Eva, the monster who thinks she's an actress, takes stage, the movie picks up tremendously. There are funny situations, brilliant one-liners, great acting, clever animation. Okay, I admit it: when the message arrives ("We're all born with an evil bone. It's up to us whether or not we use it."), it screams: MESSAGE!!! But that's okay, because the road there is paved with such great stuff. This was an indie production, so without the Pixar-type funding, it falls somewhat short of the visual brilliance of the big-studio animation films. But it's miles and miles above BARNYARD. (Hell, ANY movie is miles and miles above BARNYARD!) I don't particularly recommend this for kids. They wouldn't get through the opening and they wouldn't get 15% of the humor. But for those of us who like ABBOTT & COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN and YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN and DRACULA: DEAD AND LOVING IT, it's a must-see. Oh yes, there's also the wonderful voice of Jennifer Coolidge. Can't go wrong with that!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I'm not sure why the lukewarm reviews for this movie. I watched it with my wife and 8 year old daughter. If the movie is boring my daughter will not hesitate to walk out of the room: She sat through the whole movie. I, for one, enjoyed it. The technical quality definitely played a role in keeping me interested. The artwork is very "angular". Not sure if anyone would consider this a problem or not.

The picture and sound, I rented the blu ray version obviously, was very nice. A technophile might nitpick (HighDefDigest gave it 4 out of 5 stars), but I saw no serious issues.

Aside from the technical aspect, the story was engaging. Think Tim Burton-lite; slightly twisted. Some might call it predictable, maybe cliche, but still an enjoyable diversion.

I make it a point to rent before I buy and this is one movie that would be taken into serious consideration.

Now for the more conservative; you should be aware there is several references to suicide. One character gets his brains blown out (albeit, this is in a comical fashion (if there is such a thing), no blood). So be aware.

Anyway, bottom line, I think this movie did not get a fair shake. Take 1 hour 27 minutes and make up your own mind.
on January 29, 2013
Amazon must be employing some really idiotic salespeople....$10 rental and $14 purchase.....Come on...Get a grip on life!

This is the most absurd rental price I have ever seen shown for a show...
on June 21, 2010
I think the general flavor of these reviews captures this small production accurately. If you are the kind of person who believes a reference to a favorite movie in another film makes that second film inherently worth viewing, then this is for you. Do you enjoy shouting aloud, "Ha! See that? They're referencing the scene in Bride of Frankenstein when Elsa Lanchester...."? If that's you, you'll be enchanted, because they invoke every old horror movie I've ever seen.

If, however, you want a film with something original, something not wretchedly PC, and something witty and clever, then I'm afraid you must go elsewhere. This is not vile, and was visually well done, and my 11 year old grandson was amused. But slight, predictable, and ever so gentle, this film genuflects at every PC altar and ignores any where quality or originality is held up.
on June 22, 2009
I was shocked when I sat down to watch this movie with my three kids, and not in a good way. It was so bad that I turned it off after 15 minutes. We love Nightmare Before Christmas, but this movie is nothing like it. In the first 15 minutes characters were beaten repeatedly, a character attempts suicide over and over again, characters are cheating to win contests, and there was some seductive and sexual behavior between two characters. I have no idea how this movie is only rated PG.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 12, 2009
Thus goes the main line from the film IGOR, a computer animated film that has its roots planted firmly in the land of Universal horror and its tongue firmly in cheek.

The film takes place in the land called Malaria where its economy is based solely on the inventions of mad scientists seeking ultimate weapons to be sold to countries globally. The land was once a fruitful place but climate changes have seen those days long gone and the new world of science replacing it.

Every mad scientist in the land attempts a new creation each year in the hopes of winning the coveted prize of top scientist. And each scientist has his own helper, all with the same name, Igor. As they reach the moment of truth in their labs, they all call out the same thing: "Igor! Throw the switch!"

Unfortunately for Dr. Glickenstein (John Cleese), the test run of his invention this year results in his untimely demise. But his Igor (John Cusak) doesn't let anyone know. It seems Igor has a mind of his own and does his own experiments in his off moments. He's brought back a rabbit from the dead and made him immortal (a running joke throughout the film as he finds different ways to attempt to kill himself) and a brain he keeps alive to help him.

Igor has done something no one has ever done before. He has assembled a creature of various parts and given it life. Unfortunately inside of this creature is the essence of evil, held in check at present. Instead, Eva (Molly Shannon), his creation, is a romantic at heart and simple as can be.

While Igor is working on his creation, Dr. Schadenfreude (Eddie Izzard) is out to win once more, having won year after year. What most don't realize though is that Schadenfreude has stolen all of his ideas and this year doesn't look any different. Using a shape shifting accomplice whose has been flirting with Igor, he attempts to steal Eva and make her the ultimate weapon.

A misunderstanding results in Eva leaving Igor and heading to the lab of Dr. Schadenfreude. As he changes her from good to bad, she becomes the weapon he sought as he not only tries to win the competition but to take over the land of Malaria as well. Only Igor and his motley crew can save the day.

The production values on this film rank high. It matches those seen in films released by the Disney studio or Pixar. The animation leaves nothing lacking and all involved have done a fine job.

Fans of classic horror films will get a kick out of this one. Not only are the elements of those films seen here but some of the sets resemble them as well. And the element of mad scientist and hunchbacked assistant is visible from the first moment. It is a tribute to those classic films.

That being said, the film is marketed not to those fans so much but to children. And for some of those children the images here are not user friendly. It is less a matter of them being spooky but in being downright frightful to the mind of a 5 year old. And to have a character whose main goal is to kill himself? It might be a bit much for a young mind to completely comprehend.

Had this movie been marketed as a spoof, as a cult film, things might have been different. It is an enjoyable movie to watch. But then again I'm watching it as an adult and not as a child.

When one compares the animated output from years ago with those currently hitting screens one has to wonder where the joy in innocence went. Why are we so focused on the ugly things instead of the wonders we saw as children? Even the evil Queen in SLEEPING BEAUTY had a certain amount of elegance and beauty to her. And while that queen turned into a dragon and was slain, there wasn't the same sort of ugly underside as witnessed in today's films.

Some would say we watched the coyote decimated by the road runner for years and it never affected us. Then again, it was never done with such detail. IGOR is a good movie. And for those willing to take the time to sit with their children and watch it, explaining the humor and consequences of certain ideas in the film, it could be a family film. But this is not one to allow children to watch on their own.