Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals BestoftheYear Outdoor Deals on DOTD

on February 22, 2014
My 12-year-old wanted a dresser for her birthday. She changed her mind every other day from October until February, when we saw this. At first, she wanted a more expensive dresser we saw at World Market. I looked it up online and realized it was made out of particle board and very little real wood, so I tried to find something better quality. I found this at Ikea dirt cheap and was going to purchase it immediately. And then I saw that shipping from Ikea was going to be more than the item cost. It was priced at $149, with a $299 delivery charge. There is no Ikea store where we live, so I started searching online for it.

I found it here at Amazon for $209 plus $66.99 shipping, which was a better deal than Ikea, so I purchased it.

First, you have to know how picky my daughter is. She wanted a wide dresser, not a tall one, but it could only have three full drawers. Not six or eight like most wider dressers, and it couldn't have any of the drawers divided into two separate drawers, even though that would provide the same amount of space. It had to match her new bed, but not exactly. It had to have legs and not sit almost on the floor, it had to have knobs and not handles, and had to have a top that appealed to her. So as you can see, not an easy task.

The dresser arrived quickly, in the time indicated. It came in two boxes, one of which looked like it had been mauled. All of the small hardware pieces had come out of the packaging, and were floating around loose in the box. Because the box was not secured well at the time, I was worried there might be missing pieces. I blame this on the packager, not the manufacturer.

When it turned out all the pieces were there, I decided not to complain. The dresser was moderately difficult to put together. Not hard to do, exactly, but one of the two boxes, the one with all of the wood in it, was too heavy for me or my daughter to lug up the stairs. My husband had to use a power screwdriver, but he mostly uses that anyway. He said a couple of really choice curse words at certain intervals, letting me know it wasn't exceptionally easy to put together. He's a contractor, so building is kind of his thing.

Once it was built, it was very nice. It is a strong, heavy pine. The drawers are massive and are lined in pretty paper, which was a nice touch. The knobs are silver and very pretty, although we may change them to match her room later. The drawers open and close easily, something we had a problem with from her last dresser. The drawer bottoms and sides are obviously some kind of manufactured wood or strong particle board, but it is thicker than her last dresser. I still told her not to overload the dresser, because that is when the drawers start to break.

One corner of the dresser top had a slight chip, which I attribute again to the lack of proper packaging. Wood should be packed in such a way it doesn't scrape against other pieces of itself inside the box. But the dresser actually looks sort of distressed anyway, so it wasn't a big deal. Not enough of a deal to package it back up and send it back in the mail, especially not after how long it took us to make the princess happy on our budget.

She loves the dresser, and that's what really counts. One thing I will say is that it does hold dust and cat fur. We have a long furred white cat and we had to end up putting a cloth on top of the t.v. because the cat is on top of everything, especially new things. (he's deaf so it's hard to discipline him. Not that cats listen that well anyway.)

I would recommend this if you can find it at a good price. I would recommend it even more if you can walk into an Ikea and buy it to get it for a cheaper price and not have to pay shipping or worry about someone having poor packaging skills.
on April 4, 2014
This piece of furniture looks really good, however, it is JUNK!!!! I bought two of these dressers because the price was right and it was a nice looking storage option for me. Shortly after I bought and assembled the dressers, the bottom of the bottom drawer popped out of both of my dressers. I had clothes in the bottom drawer, however, the plywood and supports are obviously too cheap to hold the normal capacity of clothes that would fit in the bottom drawer. I did not have anything in this drawer except clothes, so it was not overloaded. I'm disappointed that I have to try to fix these because again, they are rather new and I shouldn't have to be thinking about fixing them.
on May 22, 2013
What I like:
- Perfect size, shape and color for the baby room. 5 stars for that!

Why I have to spend more money to buy a whole new dresser:

- It has smelled terrible since I assembled it. I allowed it to off-gas for 8 months before I put the baby in the room with it and it still smells like toxic chemicals, so I must part with it.
- The smell did improve slightly, but now that summer is here, when it is moist and warm in the room I can hardly breath in there. Maybe the warm air pulls the smell out more?
- I have an air filter running in the room and that helps a little, but seriously?, I have to run an air filter to tolerate the chemical smell?
- It is not made of solid wood!!! (false advertising.)
- The bottom of the drawers and the back of the dresser are made of very thin maybe 1/8" or 1/16" super chemical smelling particle board.
- Total bummer, because it is perfect except you can't breath in the room with it, and the particle board is so thin it bends down when full of clothes.
- I bought it at Ikea, not Amazon, and if I would have known the smell wouldn't go away, I would have returned it.
- Now it will become a very expensive garage piece. Waste of money. Sad, because the design otherwise is so great.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 16, 2013
This product is so cheaply made, stay away from it. It looks nice when it is new, however we have had it only a couple of years and it keeps falling apart. Joints become unglued, rails fall off, you name it.
It spends more time being repaired then used. I am trashing it. IKEA is so cheaply made this was the first piece of their furniture I have bought and it will be the last.
on January 26, 2014
This item took my husband 6 hours to,put together. The top drawer has never closed correctly. The screw would. to go,all the way in therefore, the top drawer will not close all,the way unless it it shoved closed. Of course, there were. O,extra screws and there were none at the three major hardware stores in the area. So we have a defective piece of furniture.
on February 27, 2013
This product is exactly what I wanted and provided me the product that IKEA did not have available online for order. There was a small chip in the front that isn't totally noticeable but still there.
on August 30, 2013
The Hemnes series is beautifully designed, as far as assembling it goes. All the pieces fit easily and perfectly together. And the final look of the chest is very pleasing because it's stained pine, rather than "fake" wood. The style has a bit of the modern and a bit of the tradition. Fits nicely into nearly any motif.