Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Ikea Hemnes Queen Bed Frame Black-brown Wood
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM

on January 29, 2013
I bought this bed (queen size Hemnes bed) at IKEA for $140. Why on Earth is it $300 here??

For the product itself, here are pros and cons.

PRO
1) Attractive modern design
2) Cheaper than other furniture stores
3) Durable for two people in everyday use. I weigh 190lbs and my girlfriend weigh 100-110lb?? (she wont tell me). We had this bed for about a year and stayed solid through some rough usage.
4) Doesn't require boxspring. Just buy bedslats to place your mattress.

CON
1) Since it's IKEA, you have to assemble it yourself. I am not the hands-on tool friendly type guy and took me about an hour to put it together.

*DONT buy the cheap $20 wooden bedslats (SULTAN LADE). You will break them. Those are for kids and maybe small females (limit 100lbs give or take). I invested in the $150 bedslat (SULTAN LAXEBY) and it can hold the weight of two adults and a mattress without worry.

*For the previous reviewer who was upset that this bed couldn't hold more than 550lb......550lb weight limit sounds pretty reasonable to me. Two normal (even overweight folks)do not weight more than that. IF you and your bedmate weigh over 550 lbs, then that's a special case and you definitely should've asked an attendant before buying ANY kind of furniture.
88 comments| 72 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 14, 2016
First, a word about Ikea. They sell reasonable quality stuff at a good price. Amazon sells Ikea products at a much higher price than Ikea does, even considering Ikea's high picking and shipping fees. Ikea customer service is intentionally terrible. I won't get into the reasons for that, but you should not count on them for much. You get a price break in part because Ikea furniture requires considerable assembly. The assembly instructions are totally non-verbal, that is, they are all pictures, zero written instructions. Don't buy Ikea stuff unless you are comfortable with that. You will get attractive modern furniture, often with Swedish/Euro styling.

I assembled the Hemnes bed with my friend Victor, who is a physicist with exceptional visual-spatial skills. Even so, Victor made a couple of mistakes during assembly. Luckily I caught his errors. I recommend assembling the bed with a partner who double checks your work.

Take your time during assembly. Sort all of your parts into piles--one reviewer recommended putting the parts into separate bins. Read through and visualize the assembly instructions before you begin. Follow each assembly step individually and carefully with meticulous attention to detail. This will minimize structural failures later on. It seems that many negative reviews for this product are the result of not following the assembly instructions carefully. Be sure to tighten all screws completely (WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE INSTRUCTIONS NOTED BELOW). Ikea screws penetrate just deeply enough to secure the attached item--any looseness will result in mechanical failure later.

Here are the exceptions to the screw tightening rule. The screws attaching the bed corners and cross braces should be loosely secured at first. Tighten just enough to hold the parts in place. Just before you insert the metal brace you must square up the bed. Do this by measuring the diagonal corners. Measure from the rear right corner to the front left corner, and from the rear left corner to the front right corner. The measurements should be equal. If not, move the footboard from side to side to adjust--that's why the aforementioned screws must be a little loose. Tighten all screws when the diagonal measurements are equal. Then insert the metal center brace. You will have a nice squared up bed.

Regarding the metal cross braces: these use self tapping screws. They require a little effort and perseverance. Be patient!

I recommend Ikea slat systems instead of box springs for this bed. Box springs raised my 13" mattress too high on the bed. The Ikea system should set the mattress at just the right height. Important: you need slats or a box spring for this bed. You cannot put a mattress directly on the frame.

Victor and I spent about 1.5 hours assembling the bed, and I now have a comfortable attractive and solid piece of furniture. Time will tell whether the bed will maintain structural integrity--this was a concern with other reviewers. At the risk of repeating myself, I believe that careful thoughtful assembly will maximize your chances of obtaining a solid long lasting bed frame.
44 comments| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 31, 2016
I see the weight issue. If two average people sleep on the bed ... you have to add the weight of your heavy mattress and box spring balanced on that cross beam. I used this as a wrap and used my existing metal frame with feet with the box and mattress so there's no weight on the ikea frame. It's sturdy, look nice and my wife is happy.
on July 15, 2014
The frame looks nice but doesn't last long. We bought ours about 18 months ago and the foot board is separating from the side boards. My foot board is now held together with ties straps. Quite tacky and unfixable. Would not recommend this for anyone who wants a longterm bed frame.
on March 11, 2016
We've had this bed for 5 years and its still going strong. I'm not sure if the negative reviews are based on poor quality control or materials or a change in manufacturing process, or even user error. We have the king size and the husband is 235 pounds. We're using the flat ikea wooden slats and a twelve inch memory foam mattress. I'm wondering if any of the collapsed frames had anything to do with balancing a box spring on the inside support rails. The bed is designed to be used as a platform bed, with the slats sold separately, no box springs. The slats would distribute the weight more evenly.
on July 24, 2015
This bed is a good example of a wrong answer! It was terrible, terrible, terrible. It is as flimsy as piece of doll house furniture, this is not designed to be used by people. The most frustrating thing is that you cannot buy just a replacement piece when this thing collapses.
on July 12, 2015
Had it for a little over a year before it broke. Anyone who thinks this is a great frame just hasn't had it long enough. Don't buy it.
on March 30, 2014
no trouble putting it together and taking it apart again to move. Biggest problem? The corners on the foot board CREAM your thighs every time you clip it while walking around it to make it. It seems the problem is that the sides of the foot board are much wider than a standard queen mattress. I get bruised often. OUCH!!
on February 15, 2016
*Disclaimer: We purchased this bed directly from Ikea - I am reviewing the bed, not Amazon.* We've had the bed longer than some others noted here - about 3 years, but in the past 6 months it's broken twice. My husband is a larger guy - about 260lbs but I only range from 120 to 130lbs. The first time it broke we were able to fix it but the second time the foot board basically just shattered into pieces. Both times it broke while we were actually in bed. Nothing will get your heart racing than having the bed break under you. Its a nice looking bed and because it's cheap and we have the dresser and nightstands already - I will purchase another one but will take another posters advice and put my mattress on a metal bed frame and just wrap the bed around the frame.
review image
on September 28, 2015
Really poor bed design, foot board collapsed had to hammer it back inside , but than afew days later it broke again.
going to reinforce it , if it was still under warranty would have replaced it.