Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Jayhawks Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Learn more

on May 26, 2011
I purchased this housing for our new Canon S95 to accompany us on our honeymoon this May. Selecting the Ikelite housing was the next best decision after deciding to go on a Western Caribbean cruise. In addition to the housing, we also purchased the Ikelite W-20 wide angle lens (a must have!) and an Ikelite tray and arm to make handling a lot easier. We didn't spring for a strobe so we planned on shooting natural light.

We chose the Ikelite housing over the Canon housing because Ikelite is known for solid products and the Ikelite housing appeared to be better constructed with more rugged knobs and parts. We were correct. The Ikelite design is solid. The buttons are easy to use, the camera settings are easy to control underwater, and the whole setup is intuitive. In addition, I feel safe putting the expensive S95 inside. The O-ring is easily visualized to ensure a tight seal with nothing obstructing the O-ring contact with the body.

The one downside is that while you can control the front ring function quite easily, you loose the ability to control the rear ring. I don't see this as a huge downfall unless you are planning to shoot full manual (I shot mostly shutter or aperture priority). Even so, you are still able to control the setting of your rear dial using the left and right buttons. I don't see the need to spend significantly more money on the FIX Housing which retains the use of the rear wheel.

Overall, the housing is awesome, the camera is awesome, and for a "intermediate" level setup, this combination is capable of taking professional shots. Being able to shoot RAW with a point-and-shoot is a definite win for underwater photography enthusiasts. Your friends will be amazed, just take the time to read the housing user manual and also experiment with the camera in the housing above water. Now you that you have master UW photography, you will also need to master the art of RAW photo editing :) You can't loose with this housing/camera combination!
on October 10, 2011
This housing is built like a tank. With all the buttons made of sturdy metal components. But still you need to be very VERY careful using it. The instruction manual does not warn the user of mistakes that can cost you your camera, and if youre a novice like me, this can be a problem,

When I first received the housing, I took it down without a camera, and on my consequent few dives to about 20meters, the inside of the housing was dry as a bone. But during the next dive, it flooded at just 4 meters of depth!

My camera is a total brick now. Whats worse is that Canon is just coming up with the S100(they say it has a new in house developed low noise sensor) but the dimensions are slightly different than the S95, which means it wont fit in the S95 housing. I'm stuck with the option of buying a S95 again, or buying the S100 and a new housing all over again, bummer...

I still dont know the exact reason for the flooding, but the housing did not leak again. Reading scuba forums later on, I learned that a tiny piece of hair, grain of sand ect on the o ring, too much silicone(which was probably my case), too little silicone, dried up or cracked o ring can lead to flooding. Youre supposed to close your housing at home(and not on the boat), in a clean and unhurried environment, some even inspect it with a magnifying glass!
on July 4, 2011
I bought the ikelite underwater housing for my canon s95 just recently; we had planned a vacation to the bahamas, and expected to snorkel in the ocean. the ikelite performed up to par, and kept our camera dry for our underwater pictures. when i first received the ikelite case, i tested it out in the sink, then in the pool we have in our apartment complex. no issues with leakage, the door unlocks fine, the controls are sturdy and the case is well-constructed. after the trials, checking the o-ring for leakage and everything looking good, i gave put the camera into the underwater housing, and we gave it a run in the pool. i did find the ikelite slowly sunk to the bottom of the pool. but, fast forward to our trip in the bahamas--the camera and case were perfectly buoyant in the salt water of the ocean--it never sank. we love this thing, it was worth every penny, and we're glad to capture all the photos we could during our trip, in and out of the water.
on May 26, 2011
My son and I just came back from a scuba diving trip to the cenotes of Playa del Carmen, Mexico. Though I'd been on many dive trips before, I'd never bothered with underwater cameras, having enough to do trying to remember to breathe. But this time I bought the Ikelite housing for my Canon Powershot and within a couple of minutes was taking some pretty neat shots. My son intuitively figured out how to work the video feature and so now we have some priceless memories of our cavern diving together. Very easy to use and seemingly very well constructed. Great choice for me.
on November 11, 2015
I am using the S90 housing, which I bought from Amazon in 2010, and which is essentially the same housing but with a different rubber inside frame for the camera's LCD (hardly matters). Overall, I like this housing, but I would like to point out some issues that I had. Since similar design features are carried on by Ikelite from one camera case to another, maybe someone will find my comments helpful (I doubt that Ikelite would listen, though).

The major issue in the ease of shooting when using this housing is with the zoom control. 1st, it should not be a round knob but a push-lever, like on Canon housings, to allow for one-finger operation. 2nd, it needs a reset spring. If you just zoom in or out, the camera becomes paralyzed because its zoom control remains stuck in the left- or rightmost position. You need to always turn the knob back a fraction to release the camera's zoom control back into neutral. I've lost many photo and video opportunities because I do forget this sometimes.

The 2nd issue is with the depth. Although the housing is rated to 200 ft, my camera often becomes semi-paralyzed below 120 ft. This is not like this total zoom control-related freeze that I described above. I can still take shots and use aperture ring, but I can't change ISO and zoom in or out; all controls on the back of the camera and zoom become disabled. When I ascend back to, say, 80 ft, everything is fine again.

Finally, flooding came for me from an unexpected source. After the dive, when everything worked fine, already on the surface I've noted bubbles coming out of the flash screw, and the housing was already full of water. As I discovered, the black plastic retainer that prevents the screw to loosen fell off, and the bouncing of water tilted the flash vs, the housing, unwinding the screw. This retainer is hold in place by some kind of a gum, like a Scotch tape (one side of it is sticky), and this gum did not hold forever. An Ikelite rep told to me that the retainer was introduced to prevent customers loosening or tightening these screws, which is utter nonsense, of course. They simply chose a cheap way to prevent loosening of this screw, but a double nut would do a better job. Anyway, if you use one of the Ikelite housings with a flash screw fixed with a plastic retainer, I suggest, develop a good habit of always placing a piece of rubber hose between the retainer and camera body. One is enough: since I never use the right screw, I doubt it will unwind even if its retainer falls off.

Update: I downgraded my rating to just 2 stars after flooding another camera. The door lock consists of 2 parts made of black plastic. Instead of connecting these 2 pieces by a single long metal pin, the engineering genius at Ikelite used 2 short ones, one of which fell out.
on March 11, 2013
I was back an forth on this one considering the Canon housing as an alternative but figured I could not jeopardize a $500 camera with a less than perfect case. Took three trips off the coast of Oahu, admittedly shallow at 45 feet or less, but this unit worked flawlessly. Pictures are clear, controls are crisp and easy to use. When you combine the large rear LCD screen of the S95 screen and this intuitive case, you have a package that even a 48 year old guy with glasses can use with ease.

The video recording from this unit is very good, you can hear the regulator and bubbles clearly on the video. Good or bad is in the eyes of the beholder, but the result mimics the reality of the diving situation very closely.
on December 30, 2011
We purchased this housing to go with our new Canon S95 to take on a week long dive trip to Bonaire in September. We placed dry packets in it to remove the mositure and peformed a test run on it in the bathtub to validate the seal. No leaks and it worked like a charm in Bonaire. Recommend this housing if you have the Canon S95 camera. It will not let you down. Just remember to add the moisture packets to help with the moisture. We even gave some of our dive friends we met in Bonaire some for their camera and it worked like a charm.
on January 14, 2012
I have not had this item in the water yet, but does seem to be a good item. I like the compact features for underwater use rather than the larger DSL camera housings. I will be taking this to Cozumel in 2 weeks.