Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports

on May 27, 2013
This is, as far as I know, the slowest readily available b&w film. Very fine grained with excellent dynamics and character. More Strand than Adams, if you know what I mean. Physically quite sturdy with a nice scratch and dust resistant surface. Wipes clean with an anti-static cloth and ready to scan.
on January 11, 2014
This film packs a wallop. Incredible grain with a large range of contrast, this film at 120 is excellent for shooting either landscapes on a tripod or studio/bright light condition portraits. It's very precise, though, and doesn't quite give me the exposure leeway that Delta provides. But if you nail it, it's absolutely gorgeous.
on April 18, 2011
I recall with fondness shooting Kodak's Panatomic X 35mm while in photojournalism classes in college. Years later, when I graduated to shooting medium and view camera format, I discovered Ilford films, and consider Ilford Pan F Plus to be a worthy successor to the old ASA 32 Panatomic. Too bad this type of film is rapidly disappearing, along with the expertise to use it, I fear. Try it while you can and experience true fine-grained black and white imagery.
on June 14, 2011
Updated Review April 2012:

Now 5 stars instead of 4. I started using distilled water in my developing and fixinig (I own a $150 distiller), and I eliminated the grain clumping issue. This is an older formula film that is more sensitive to my crummy water. The reciprocity failure is actually a benefit, and allows long exposures in broad daylight. I would use Delta or TMAX at dusk, when this film loses too much speed on long exposures.

When scanned, this film has ASTOUNDING resolving power on a 6x7 negative, better than TMAX or Delta films. 40x50 prints are very sharp, much sharper than my Canon 5Dmkii.

Pros

I use this film on a Mamiya 7ii. A wonderful film with smooth old-school tones and fine grain. This film has very long midtones, smooth blacks, and crisp highlights. It really gives a different overall feel than modern films, and doesn't need much editing if you scan your film and print digitally.

Cons

Contrast may be high for some situations, but this helps eliminates most editing when scanning. In dull lighting, it may look too muddy. Long exposures loses film speed (but good for slow water shots). Crummy tap water will create grain clumping.
on April 24, 2014
This is one of the top 120 films I have ever used. Spent a month in Colorado shooting landscapes with it. Amazing, but bring a tripod!! Pushes good.
on May 13, 2014
Remember to always test a roll with the developer you use, at different ISOs 25 - 50- 80-... This film has a very very nice grain and a very nice silver tone when used with Adonal. Dont use it with Diafine, its a total Failure. Will try to develop it with Xtol, Caffenol, Tmax, Silvermax and Ilford developers. Also with adonal but on stand development.

This film is a like a Kodak Trix 400 with the resolution of Delta 100 maybe more, Its too bad amazing stoped selling them really cheap and they are really expensive now almost 10$ a roll!
on July 16, 2010
We've been trying different emulsions with a one bath monobath type developer and have good results with this film. A mix we refer to as "reagent 3" has been most successful and can be seen at [...]
on May 28, 2007
Beautiful fine-grained photos possible if film is developed in fine grain developer.
on February 27, 2015
Super fine grain
on January 14, 2016
As always Illford is just flat out quality.