Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: I'll Make You an Offer You Can't Refuse: Insider Business Tips from a Former Mob Boss (NelsonFree)
Safety Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Its a pretty good book and an easy read at only 155 pages (even though the Amazon site lists this book at 224 pages, where are my other 69 pages?) I enjoyed the mob stories, and I could understand the connection between mob business and honest business. Although the more I think about that last sentence the more I realize that the so called honest business world seems to have a lot more crooks in many of the top jobs. How does that work?

The book has a printed hardcover which I think is superior to a dust jacket. I also liked that I could download a copy of this in e-book format and also in audio book format. I downloaded the first 5 chapters of the audio book and listened to it on my Crackberry Storm while I watched my sons T-ball game. It was my first ever audio book and I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it. Lets me multitask, and that's always a good thing.

The book basically tries to say that some mob guys could run successful legitimate businesses. Maybe. I grew up in an Italian family in the Bronx. I have spent many hours in and around "Italian social clubs", and while there were some pretty sharp guys there, very street smart, I do not think they would be that good running a large corporation. The mentality seemed to me to be more about instant gratification and not directed at long term growth. But then again when I look at the headlines of newspapers and see what most of these CEOs are doing, maybe a wiseguy could do at least as good a job? or better?

The final chapter of the book, "pick your philosopher" is a final test. Machiavelli or Solomon? Do you want to crush your enemies at any cost, or do you want to do the right thing with a clear conscience?

I really wanted to like this book more, but I could not take it seriously as a business/motivational book. Its not a great business book, but it is a good, light read after you have read all the other great business books.
on July 3, 2009
In I'll Make You an Offer You Can't Refuse, Michael Franzese, former capo in the Colombo crime family, shares his insight and wisdom in running and making the most of your business. From the basics, like creating a written business plan, to keeping it legal, Michael offers antidotes and stories that describe how he reached success while a high ranking member of the mob.

But therein lies the problem. There were double standards throughout the book. For example, Michael Franzese tells us to put together a clear, focused, and written business plan. However, not if you are a mobster. A mobster's objective is always to get as much money as possible, as fast as possible, and they prefer not to have paper trails as these can be incriminating. So if Michael Franzese did it the mobster way, without a written plan, why is he telling his readers to do it another way?

The business information contained in the book wasn't particularly unique or fresh. Play it straight, learn to listen, put a lid on greed, don't gamble, and operate with integrity are just some of the significant messages explored in the book, but a lot of the information felt like common sense. Certainly good lessons with moral appeal, but not new, insightful, eye-opening information for most people (perhaps I think too highly of the integrity of the human race?).

One of the best aspects of I'll Make You an Offer You Can't Refuse is its strong message of motivation and encouragement. Michael Franzese devotes an entire chapter to failures. He explains that failure is normal, and that some failure in life is to be expected. But value comes from using the failure as a tool for learning and improving, and the best way to handle failure is to pick yourself up and dust yourself off.

Michael Franzese writes with a strong, wise-guy voice that is easy to read and entertaining, but may not be the business book readers think. He writes, "Life is all about the ingredients." Put in good ingredients and you'll get a good product. I'll Make You an Offer You Can't Refuse is less a lesson in running a business, and more instruction in living a good moral life.
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I'll admit, I don't read a lot of self-help books and have pretty much avoided the genre entirely. What intrigued me about this book is how the author, a former mob hotshot who got pinched by his bookkeeper, claims he can apply what he learned managing a mob empire to the "legitimate" business world.

On the whole, it works because of the breezy, conversation style of the author, who keeps it light and entertaining with numerous war stories, asides, and bits of advice from King Solomon and Sun Tzu.

If you are looking for simple words of wisdom from someone who has run a huge criminal money-making operation, this is your go-to guide.
on December 4, 2013
Decent read. Nothing fancy, and, the Author goes out on a limb for the reader. Instilling a few things to apply to one's life.
I can say, for those who want a highly technical or super informative or intellectually stimulating book, look elsewhere. But for those
basic folks like myself, who are a bit afraid in this world, it can help steer one's life, and to show that basic humanity is found by not stereotyping.
on May 26, 2009
Overall this book has a lot of good information about how to be successful in business, unfortunetly you can find it in a lot of business books. What makes this book worth reading is the stories Michael Franzese has to tell about his life in the mob. I would much rather it had been completely about that and left it to me to find the wisdom in how the mob does business. To clarify, he does show what the mob does wrong as well.

I find Michael Franzese an amazing person that I really want to learn more about. To walk away from millions of dollars and a lifestyle that he had been in his who life to go straight is truly remarkable.

Even though this effort wasn't fantastic, I look forward to reading more from this author.
on May 14, 2015
No where as interesting as his book about his history in the mob. I also over all born-again stuff. This one just gives his suggestions for running a business and few anecdotes so it wasn't as interesting as I thought it would be. I didn't finish it and gave it away.
on July 15, 2012
Very nice book on surviving the Corporate Jungle. Agrees with my two years in Accounting and Forecasting and two years in R&D and five years in Engineering. If I knew some of the stuff "way back then" I'd have gone a lot further than I have so far.

The chapter on "Sit Downs" is wonderful. Do your homework, shut your mouth and wait for /inspire your enemy to trip up. More detail than that but I have covered the essential points. The advice for Sit Downs makes the book for me, as we do a lot of Sit Downs in Industry. Lots and lots of 'em. I realize now how I've messed up in the past. I will be using this advice the day after tomorrow at work.

I have to admit - I never thought I'd see an Author quote Biblical Proverbs of Solomon and Machiavelli in equal measure!!

Thank you for the good advice Mr. Franzese! I'll make it work.
I have an incredible amount of respect for Michael Franzese -- for reasons too personal to discuss in this review. I almost didn't buy this book, however, because it's published by Nelson, a religious title publisher. I don't buy that type of book. However, I was curious about it and actually thought it was about making offers. It's not. Nor is it especially religious EXCEPT that up to a point it is.

The bottom line, cut to the chase message is a comparison of Machiavelli and King Solomon. Made men and most all politicians and probably two-thirds of the successful businesspeople in the world follow the former philosopher while only a handful follow the latter.

The author gives us the distinct difference in the two and how they apply to business. It's hard to agree with Solomon when we see a liar and immoral man like ol' Joe Kennedy achieve tremendous wealth using Machiavellian ways. And he's only one of many. But, you have to judge for yourself.

The author also blames the recent meltdown on businesspeople's greed. I disagree. Oh, they're greedy. But the Fed had an awful lot to do with creating the debacle.

This book is well written and well-edited, as you'd expect from Nelson. The author is a wonderful writer and different from the current crop of business writers. He's honest about his life and where he's been and he uses his experiences to attempt to help people and create a better world. He's doing an admirable thing.

This book is probably unlike any business book you've ever read. You may not agree with all or part of it. But you'll enjoy it and it will get you to thinking. You may want to change. You may want to stay the same. But I'll bet you want to look deeper into King Solomon and do some deeper comparisons for yourself. At least that's what it did for me.

Oh, as a bonus, Nelsonfree lets you download the book in audio and pdf and mobile formats! I listened to the audio as I read. It's read by the author and it's just great. This is a wonderful benefit of buying Nelsonfree books and I wish other publishers would do this.

Highly recommended.

- Susanna K. Hutcheson
on July 19, 2015
I was looking for a nice easy read and this was definitely that. This really isn't a business book as much as it is a book regarding philosophy. I was surprised at the comparison between Machiavelli and Solomon and even more surprised that he chose Solomon in such strong terms (but he's right) given his background. Th advice isn't anything new, but is worthwhile.
All in all a good read.
on June 19, 2016
Great guy. Great book!
I saw Michael Franzese when he spoke to a Christian group in CA. He is a genuine honest reformed man. His message is to the point and makes sense especially for a business owner who has had his share of challenges running a business over twenty years.
As you read, you learn about life in the mob, and you learn about running your own legitimate business.
Fun to read and educational.