5.0 out of 5 stars All-new material from the funniest man in America
Tears. They were rolling down my cheeks at the dentist's waiting room while I read this book, in a futile attempt to keep from laughing out loud. Oh how I love a new Dave Barry book.

Published on May 12, 2010 by Julie Neal

3.0 out of 5 stars Clever, good Dave...but
Published on August 11, 2011 by Robecology

5.0 out of 5 stars All-new material from the funniest man in America, May 12, 2010

And this material is truly new! Except for one essay, none of these pieces have been published before, which is rare for a Dave Barry book. And he is at the top of his game here, with 18 stories of what it means to be an adult.

Don't let the goofy low-rent cover fool you. Barry digs deep in this essay collection, and there is as much intelligent understanding and wisdom as humor. A couple of the essays are as touching as anything Anna Quindlen has written: The Heart of Dadness and Father of the Groom. These two moving explorations of parenthood brought on the tears again.

Barry will even make you call for a colonoscopy appointment. That's real power.

A few of my other favorite Dave Barry books:
Dave Barry's Only Travel Guide You'll Ever Need,
Dave Barry's Money Secrets: Like: Why Is There a Giant Eyeball on the Dollar?,
Dave Barry Slept Here: A Sort of History of the United States,
Dave Barry's Complete Guide to Guys and
Dave Barry Is Not Making This Up.

Here's the chapter list:

1. The Elephant and the Dandelion (In Defense of Man)
2. If You Will Just Shut Up, I Can Explain (A Man Answers Questions from Women)
3. The Heart of Dadness: A Letter to a First-Time-Father-To-Be
4. Dance Recital
5. Technology
6. Solving the Celebrity Problem
7. Tips for Visiting Miami (No. 1: Are You Insane?)
8. Dog Ownership for Beginners
9. My Hollywood Career: The Big Dumpster
10. 24: The Ultimate Script
11. The Full Coward Package
12. The Health-Care Crisis (Wash Your Hands After Reading This)
13. Colonoscopy
14. A Practical, Workable Plan for Saving the Newspaper Business (I Sure Don't Have One)
15. Judaism for Christians
16. Fangs of Endearment: A Vampire Novel
17. A Festival of Grimness
18. Father of the Groom

5.0 out of 5 stars You'll Be Glad You Did, May 6, 2010
Full Disclosure: I am Dave's "sometimes writing partner" of the Starcatchers series. But, because of this, I'm one of Dave's (only) critics!

As a longtime Dave Barry fan, I feel like there's a hole in my Sunday newspaper. Like the kids got the scissors and cut out the most important part before I started reading: Dave's column.

It's back! I'll Mature When I'm Dead is as if an editor has taken two dozen columns THAT YOU'VE NEVER READ (columns that are TWICE AS LONG as those ever published in newspapers) and put them in one place for you. It's a treasure!

There is no need to recommend the pieces. Not if you've ever read Dave. Does he ever disappoint? I don't think so. You laugh, you groan, and you wince as he touches the truths of our everyday lives in ways we wish he wouldn't. There are dog stories, writing stories and even a vampire story parody. It's the best collection of his work, ever. And it's all new.

Simply put: NO ONE DOES IT BETTER. You will reread this book many times, and leave it someplace handy in order to do just that. It's that good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally! A Dave Barry book with fresh new material, May 5, 2010
Disclosure: I am a huge Dave Barry fan, and have been since the 80s.

I'll admit many of his past books have been essentially reprints of his newspaper articles. This book is different. It is fresh and full of new humor. I've read a good portion of his past work, and didn't recognize any of it as being repeated here. It also feels a bit longer than his past books.

Dave's observations of the world around him are always funny. Laugh out loud funny. I wouldn't buy this for reading on the subway or anywhere else where people will look at you funny when you randomly burst out laughing.

I'm not sure what else to say about this book. It is as funny as Dave has ever been and it is totally new and fresh material.

I loved it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny, As Usual, June 1, 2010
This is a new book - hooray!, only two recycled columns - by Barry that touches upon everything from children to sex to politics and Obama. And, of course, a lot of material about Miami is included too. The essays/columns are about 3-4 pages each and the material is just as fun as always. I enjoyed Barry's take on various things - technology, for one, and the opening columns - about the differences between men and women - was one of his best yet. He has a funny take on everyday things, but really shines when he's talking about men/women and modern technology. He also has a column in here that is an ode to newspapers - it was more poignant than funny, and gave some real insight into how his job used to be and what it has morphed into now. If you're a fan, you'll enjoy this, but if you're new to Dave Barry, try some of his older columns/books first.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious book, October 7, 2010
I have always loved Dave Barry's writing and never get tired of it. This book doesn't disappoint. I needed something to read on a plane for a trip I really didn't want to take, but this book was among those that got me through it. Many laughs! People on the plane must have thought I was crazy because I was laughing to myself so much. Thanks, Dave!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Clever, good Dave...but, August 11, 2011
Dave is charming and intelligent in this book. His first chapter might better have gone in to the book "Dave Barry is from Mars and Venus" because it's so spot on about relationships. But then he decries that he's not a "screenplay" writer - "they make more money per page" - and goes on to prove it for at least half the book with chapter one, chapter two, chapter three of some forgetable stories.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'll Mature When I'm Dead, July 9, 2010
I gave one copy to a close friend turning 60 and the other to my significant other, turning 66. Predictable hilarity ensued. Dave is one of the most reliably funny writers alive (he's also a former Miami Herald colleague, so I was lucky enough to get the books signed - in amusing fashion, of course). For the record, Dave is as funny in real life as he is on the page - and a seriously nice guy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dave Barry Strikes Again, February 3, 2014
Chotiwala (Boerne, Texas, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I'll Mature When I'm Dead: Dave Barry's Amazing Tales of Adulthood (Paperback)
Dave Barry is, in my opinion, the funniest person to write on paper. Or type on a keyboard. Or however he does it. Anyway, this book made me laugh out loud several times. Well, let's be honest: a lot more than that. If you like dry/sick/sarcastic humor, you'll love this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliance, Again., July 30, 2011
I was late to the Dave Barry party. I'd see his books in bookstores as a kid and sigh, wondering who this guy was that always got his books displayed on the popular book endcaps. I'd never heard of him. I was tired of seeing his goofy face. "So what if he turned 40? Guy needs a book?"

Then I went on a trip, and I bought "Dave Barry is Not Taking This Sitting Down." I was constantly being stared at on the airplane because of my laughter. Since then I have bought numerous books, even books written before I had memories, so I really didn't get a lot of the references. I read "Big Trouble" on my beaks at work and scooped up as many articles by him as I could.

When I saw that he had a new book, I bought it right away. The highlight may be his 24-page vampire parody, which I really, really wish was a full novel. I even tried to read about his colonoscopy, before I had to put my head between my legs and try not to pass out.

I cannot recommend this book enough. It's like, SIX three-wolf-moon shirts.

4.0 out of 5 stars Booger jokes come no better than this, April 16, 2011
Andrew C Wheeler (Pompton Lakes, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Dave Barry is not a serious writer, or a deep writer, or an important writer. But he's a funny writer, and has been consistently funny for about thirty years now, which is no small thing. (I realize that I actually remember when Barry moved his column to the Miami Herald, back in the late '80s, and that I worried that it might be bad for his Northeastern-guy humor. It wasn't.)

Barry is probably the last of the great American newspaper humorists, part of a tradition that flourished hugely in the generation just before his -- with Art Buchwald, Mike Royko, Russell Baker, and plenty of others -- but stretches back past Mark Twain to Kin Hubbard and other names forgotten by all but specialists today. Barry is a smartass, as the newspaper humorists so often were, but it was always a soft smartassery, suitable for your hip aunt if not for your disapproving grandmother. And even a decade out of the day-to-day newspaper grind, he still writes short, puffy pieces that avoid the real third-rails of American writing (politics, religion, and privilege) while focusing on superficially transgressive material: fart jokes, booger jokes, "men are stupid" jokes, "women are crazy" jokes, "aren't we suburban people wacky" jokes. And he has the requisite sentimental streak -- American newspapers are as sentimental as the day is long -- winning the Pulitzer in the '80s in large part for a column about the birth of his son and continuing to dive into pathos in between booger jokes.

I'LL MATURE WHEN I'M DEAD is an original collection of Barry essays, possibly the first of its kind. He's written standalone books for decades -- all the way back to his first, The Taming of the Screw -- but they were always about single topics, while the essay collections gathered up a bunch of newspaper columns (and they did pile up, at one or more a week) to give them a more permanent form. So this book is a lot like many other Barry books, miscellaneous and scattershot, jumping from the amusements of his wife's Judaism to riffs on Miami, from a nearly-straight account of why men should get a colonoscopy at age fifty to a (quite good) Twilight parody, from his script for 24 to an examination of why youth sports are being ruined by parents. It's all fairly obvious material; Barry has never been a trail-blazer, and his topics are usually ones that have been well-worked by others. But that's part of the appeal, as well: like a Borscht Belt comedian, Barry tells you the jokes you expect, about the things you already think are funny, and makes you laugh at them every Sunday night (for a two-drink minimum.)

This is a silly book, with very little substance in it. Barry instinctively realizes that no one goes to him for real seriousness, and he relies on faux-seriousness when he comes close to important issues. It's a fine Dave Barry book, entirely suited for reading on an airplane, in the smallest room in the house (though these essays are notably longer than his old newspaper columns, which may fit less well in that milieu), or -- as I read it -- on a train. If you're within two sigma of being a typical American, Dave Barry will make you chuckle out loud at least once with this book.

I'll Mature When I'm Dead: Dave Barry's Amazing Tales of Adulthood