4.0 out of 5 stars Can't wait for the 3rd book!
Published on June 29, 2010 by Stephanie G (Reviewer for Para...

3.0 out of 5 stars I'll Be Slaying You.
Published on May 24, 2012 by FV

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Can't wait for the 3rd book!, June 29, 2010
This review is from: I'll Be Slaying You (Paperback)
There are vampires, demons, and shifters among us and the bounty hunters at Night Watch try their best to keep them in line. Sandra "Dee" Daniels is one of the best that work for the agency. She also happens to be a human with a violent bloody past that she can thank vampires for. She is exceptionally good at taking down the creatures of the night and when there is word that a Born vampire, the most powerful of its kind, is in town, Dee doesn't hesitate to take the case.

Simon Chase is new to the streets of Banton Rouge and has his eye set on Dee. The man is tall, well built, handsome and has a dark side that if revealed too early to Dee, may send her running. While there is a definite attraction and sexual spark between the two, Simon has another reason to stay close to Dee. He has learned a secret about Dee that she isn't even aware of and could be the key to taking down the evil that is after them both.

My opinion of Dee has changed since she first appeared in Eternal Hunter. I felt as if she tried too hard in the first book to come off as tough. She is a human who works with shapeshifters and demons (plus whatever else is employed at Night Watch) so I understand the need to not want to be seen as weak but I thought it was too much at first. In I'll Be Slaying You, her character developed into someone I actually enjoyed reading. Walls have been put up around her and her emotions since she was young. She isn't heartless just on her guard at all times.

I like several things about Simon Chase's character (the fact that he is gorgeous is one) which includes the way he breaks through Dee's defenses. Dee was letting what happened to her years ago rule her life today but then Simon came in and showed her she wasn't alone. Am I saying he came in and made everything better? No. He just made it more bearable and started helping her move forward.

The story itself was interesting with a few twists but nothing that caught me by too much surprise. Chase's real identity was easy to figure out and what I think was supposed to be a huge shock involving Dee, I figured it out at the end of Eternal Hunter because of something Jude, shapeshifter and main character of the book, said about Dee involving her appearance. Although, I didn't expect how deep it really went. I did like how more light was shed on vampires. They are my favorite paranormal creatures so I liked learning more about their part in the Other world.

Jude and Zane, who were my two favorites from the first book, return. How could I not like two strong, attractive, and loyal males? A character I didn't care for was Catalina. When things got rough she wanted to just run away and hide. She is a friend of Dee and Zane's (not sure about Jude) and while I think they would have done whatever they could and more for her, she would only be willing to go so far for them. A person I would like to know more about is Jason Pak. He is the head of Night Watch and is wrapped in mystery. I guess that can also be the appeal of him.

I'll Be Slaying You is a fun, fast passed read that I didn't want to put down. The story isn't overly complicated or complex but there is still depth to it that keeps your interest and makes you want to read and learn more about these characters and their world. I look forward to continuing the Night Watch series with Eternal Flame, which will be released on November 30th.

5.0 out of 5 stars Filled with sexy characters and mystery this book has a somewhat darker tone but it only makes it more intense!, June 29, 2010
Bookaholics Reviewer (Bay Area, California) - See all my reviews
I'll be Slaying You by Cynthia Eden
Paranormal Romance - June 29th, 2010
4 ˝ stars

Cynthia Eden has written another fun and sexy paranormal romance. However, I found the overall tone of this book a little darker and edgier than the author's previous books. In this story a female bounty hunter learns some shocking truths and the hunter becomes the prey in a game of life and death!

In this second book in the bounty hunter series we are treated to the human, Sandra Dee's story. Sandra Dee is a human whose family was massacred by a gang of vampires. She barely escaped and holds a deep hatred for all vampires. As a bounty hunter she has made it her mission to exterminate the bad guys. But Dee is trying to stay alive as she barely escapes from repeated threats and attempts on her life. To add to her confusion a sexy and mysterious human named Simon suddenly appears and reappears, 'saving' her. Is he really the 'good guy' he would like her to believe? His perfect timing arouses Dee suspicions and to her consternation her suddenly overactive libido. What does Simon really want from her? Dee is sure he isn't doing it out of the kindness of his heart. Dee has her hands full. As she fights to staying alive, hunt down her next bounty and find out Simon's secret agenda. Unfortunately, her stupid heart wants to believe Simon but is she willing to chance it and her life on a man shrouded in shadow?

I'll be Slaying You is part romance and mystery as Dee tries to reconcile her past with her future. Why is she being followed and stalked? Who has a vendetta against her and where does Simon fit in? She thinks she knows but does she really? I was really surprised by Dee's revelations. Although this book has vampires and shifters Cynthia Eden has changed her mythology when she included the Born vampires in this novel. Born vampires are vampires who can control other vampires and use them like puppets. They are extremely dangerous. The last Born vampire created was 2 thousand years ago. He is old, ruthless and on a killing rampage. Dee as the best vampire slayer on Night Watch team and has been assigned to take care of him. That is if she can keep herself alive from her unknown assailants.

This story is filled with non-stop action and mystery as I tried to figure out who wanted Dee dead and why. I found the story very compelling and I can't wait to find out the ramifications of Dee 's revelations for future books in this series. The passion between the 2 main characters sizzles and I loved how Cynthia Eden portrayed the chemistry between them. Some books have a lot of sex but the sex can actually be dull! This book was sexy! It didn't hurt that Simon was super hot. If I was Dee I would be crazy for Simon, too. I was thrilled by Simon's determination to save Dee and find his own justice. I felt the 2 of them were a wonderful match. By her own choice, Dee has always been alone. It was heartwarming to read her and Simon become a team and slowly begin to rely and then begin to genuinely care for each other.

Reviewed by Steph from the Bookaholics Romance Book Club

3.0 out of 5 stars I'll Be Slaying You., May 24, 2012
This series follows a different couple every book (this seems to be a popular trend) that are all integrated with one another. All our main characters in this series work at the Night Watch. This story follows Dee, a violent kick ass petite woman (who is in her 30s?) who is merely human with coworkers of demons, shifters, charmers, etc. She is the best vampire hunter the Night Watch has and she has her eyes set on the baddest of the bad, a Born Vamp. Simon Chase comes in early on, and he's hard not too like, he's mysterious (to Dee, we get to see in his head), he's got the bad boy vibe, and he's hot. We get to follow them along as we see Dee come to terms with her past.

The 'first' book of this series was about shifters and though I thought the story was interesting the dialogue was odd. I thought this one was much better. Of course we still get the obvious things pointed out to us with a neon colored banner that you couldn't miss with your eyes closed, but they go ahead and explain that banner in detail. There is a lot of sex in this book as well. Though I read the first of this series in July of last year, I've been reading SO much of this genre that I'm kind of numb to the sex. It wasn't really graphic sex though so maybe that's why I didn't really feel bothered by it. The writing on this ones seems a little better. The story itself is pretty intense at times, very, very obvious though. It doesn't hook you like some other books do, and Dee isn't my favorite character but it was an entertaining ride

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark and Sexy, May 18, 2011
Karen Keyte (Cumberland, ME USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Sandra "Dee" Daniels is one of the toughest hunters working for Night Watch and that, my friends, is saying something. As far as most people know, Night Watch is a multi-state bounty hunting agency with a main office in Dee's home city of Baton Rouge. The rumor is, Night Watch agents always catch their prey. That rumor is true. But there is more to Night Watch than meets the eye. Most of the criminals they hunt are Other. Vampires, shifters, warlocks, demons - when Other commit crimes it takes a very special kind of hunter to bring them in. Like their prey, most of the hunters at Night Watch are Other. But not Dee. She's human - the most badass, stake-wielding, butt-kicking, vampire-hunting human in the city.

Dee specializes in vamps because she truly, with all her soul, hates them. Taking them down is pretty much all she lives for. Now the word on the street is that a Born Master is in Baton Rouge. When it comes to vampires, the Born are a whole order of magnitude more powerful than the Taken. Few, ancient and very, very dangerous, a single Born could drown the streets of Baton Rouge in blood. Not that Dee's scared, exactly. She doesn't scare easily and she's determined to bring down the Born, even if she hasn't figured out how yet. Luckily, she seems to have acquired a new ally. Simon Chase is dark, hard, alluring and sexy as hell. He's also keeping secrets. Dee isn't sure what his game is and she knows she should be careful, but Simon is oh-so-hard to resist.

This is the second book in Cynthia Eden's Night Watch series, after Eternal Hunter. The paranormal world she's built in Baton Rouge is complex, sultry and multi-layered, giving it a strong sense of reality. That world provides the perfect backdrop for Dee's story, much of which takes place in the back streets and alleys of Baton Rouge's seedier side. The vampires in this world are hard-edged and volatile, which makes Dee's history and her personality that much more interesting and believable. Also, the secret Simon harbors provides some unexpected twists in Dee's search for the Born Master. As you might expect from Ms. Eden, there are several steamy sex scenes, but as you also might expect, they are always a part of the larger, well-crafted story and not something grafted on for the sake of titillation. Ms. Eden is a master of the paranormal romance and this is one of her best.

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, January 12, 2011
This review is from: I'll Be Slaying You (Paperback)
The Night Watch books picked me. I didn't pick them. I won this book in a raffle and got the first book because I can't read books out of order. I'm very glad I won this book.

The Setting -- is a world in which things exist just below the surface. Normal humans don't realize that surrounding them are Others, people who aren't really people. They're demons, charmers, shifters, vampires - and the list goes on. At times people don't realize what's right in front of them and others they're very willing to believe. It's not an original idea, but it's one that the mind accepts - because what better place for something strange to hide than right in front of us? The story takes place in the swamps of Louisiana, all that lovely humidity and heat!

The Characters -- are very well done. I like the character conflicts going on. Dee was introduced in the first book, and she is one bad mamma-jamma. She's also a deeply scarred person. Through the book you see her character grow from the person she's forced herself to be, into someone who chooses to live. I have to confess, I wasn't just in love with Simon in this book. I liked him, I liked the character chemistry, but I didn't quite love him like I loved the other characters in the first book and the consistent ones in the world. Jude and Erin make an appearance from the first book, and so does the demon, Zane. I think Zane is my favorite character in the world so far; really looking forward to the third book out in November which features his story.

The Plot -- is lots of action. Simon is working to defeat something. Dee wants revenge. People want them dead. And they want each other. It's a steamy, exciting book - which I completely expected after reading Eternal Hunter. I like how there are layers to the story; different things come out slowly, stripping away the layers of what's going on and at the same time the characters lose a little more control of themselves, getting closer to each other. I am a big fan of the way Cynthia Eden has wrapped up this book, and the last one. You don't close the book after the big fight scene, accepting that the characters of course got together, the story's not done. She goes into the painful details of the characters admitting what they want and facing their issues together. It's very satisfying to read real reactions like that and it makes for a satisfying read.
Cynthia Eden, you are like a dark chocolate crack addiction.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Dance With The Deadly Dee, August 13, 2010
Sandra "Dee" Daniels lost her entire family to vampires when she was just a kid. It was a brutal awakening to the world of Others that still rips her out of sleep with a scream on her lips. Since that bloody night, she's made it her goal to track and kill the vampires responsible - and until then, take down as many other fanged fiends as she can. Her job as a bounty hunter for Night Watch, a...specialty organization to say the least, keeps her connected to the baddies in Baton Rogue, and rumor is there's a Born Master in town - a vampire that isn't one of the changed Taken but an ancient evil that defies human comprehension for his ability to wreak nearly biblical destruction. If Dee doesn't stop him, the Born will make the town run red.

She prefers to work alone, but after a couple of run ins with the stranger Simon Chase - a sexy as hell bad boy intent on saving her ass whether she likes it or not, she finds out his past is similar to hers and he's out to take down the Born, too. Pairing up isn't her style, but in this case, accepting a hand may be the only way to keep from losing her head...unless bad boy Chase has his own agenda and isn't quite the knight in leather-clad armor he appears.

Without a doubt, Eden pens intense, kick ass action and offers up gorgeous alpha men for our reading pleasure, but in this book, she had her work cut out for her. We met Dee in Eternal Hunter and I quickly realized that while she's loyal to her friends, she's got issues a mile wide...the sort that would make her being the center of attention a potential problem. I can imagine not everyone is going to like Dee in I'll Be Slaying You, as she's not traditionally likable. I, however, did like her, much to my surprise, because while her blind prejudice and quick-to-condemn aggression aren't the most appealing traits ever, I couldn't help but admire the core of her. She's a girl who lost everyone she loved in brutal fashion at an incredibly impressionable age...stumbled upon her family's butchered bodies on the same night she went on her first date and got her first kiss, and despite a horror that would have sent most to the mental hospital, she found a way to make a life for herself - even if she is a bit screwed up from it all. Who the hell wouldn't be? She fights forces of darkness that she shouldn't be able to fight instead of screaming about life's injustices...or just plain screaming, locked up in a padded room somewhere, and I admire that about her, so yes, I like her, even with her flaws. And I appreciate Eden for not glossing over those flaws or eradicating them through the story arc of the book.

Liking her self-proclaimed partner in this book, Simon Chase, wasn't hard either. Sexy, yes, and layered with his own issues and motivations. I loved his unwavering dedication to Dee, even as she was...well...being Dee. And I thought their relationship was lusty good fun, if a bit lacking in sweet tender romance. Dee? Do sweet and tender?? Not without a lobotomy, that's for sure. Suffice it to say, the relationship between them may not be my personal preference for heartfelt romance reading, but it was very in line with what we know of Dee and what we've learned of Simon, so I have no complaints.

I do have a couple of complaints about the plot, though. It wasn't the most original, to be honest, but I will say that it did take a couple of turns that pushed it into fresher territory, and I liked that very much. Reading it was like walking along a very well worn path for just over half a journey...and then suddenly the earthquake hits and you turn to race along a slightly different route to get to safety. That's how the plot of I'll Be Slaying You read for me as I went along. Familiar and a bit unoriginal at first - though well told, don't get me wrong - then some surprising aspects came in and made it fresher and more unique.

The writing style and character development were really solid, though, and I've loved the backdrop of the world Eden started creating in her Midnight Trilogy and spread to encompass the Night Watch series. I loved getting another peek at Jude and Erin from Eternal Hunter, and of course getting reacquainted with the half-demon Zane and the cop Anthony. I'll Be Slaying You may not have been perfect for me, but it was a good, solid read full of action and lusty good times. I'm looking forward to Eternal Flame due out in December.

Originally reviewed for One Good Book Deserves Another.

4.0 out of 5 stars My First Eden Book, July 19, 2010
pammur (San Jose, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I'll Be Slaying You (Paperback)
I enjoyed the story and characters. This was my first Cynthia Eden book and I will be purchasing the next in the series. The only part that disappointed me was:

SPOILER ALERT:

Dee was able to "take down" Grim awfully easy in my opinion because the book talked so much about how difficult it was to kill a vampire as old as Grim. I expected a more difficult and maybe exciting fight.

Overall, I did enjoy the book though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Riveting, July 11, 2010
This review is from: I'll Be Slaying You (Paperback)
Dee Daniels is one of the top three hunters at Night Watch, a paranormal hunting group working for the greater good. Dee also happens to be human and the best vampire hunter they have. When Dee's boss Pak informs her of a Born Master in town she is determined to take him down. Dee has a violent past all stemming from vampires. A born master is stronger, faster and the cause of the made vampires. This problem needs immediate attention so it doesn't get out of control. Out hunting Simon saves Dee from a rouge bullet. The attraction is immediate, but Dee doesn't want to lose focus. Simon keeps popping up saving her, Dee must learn to trust Simon if they are to defeat the Born Master. They both have their own secret agenda's, but what's a good book without a little secrets?
This was a fantastic book! It included Jude and Erin from the first as well as the demon Zane. The story is fast paced and keeps you hooked waiting to see what'll happen next. I enjoyed the character development of all characters involved. I look forward to the next story with Zane front and center. This is only the second Eden novel I've read, but I'm very interested in reading other works of hers if they are anything like this Night Watch series.

3.0 out of 5 stars Another HOT Paranormal Guy Saddled With An Irritating Female, July 1, 2010
This review is from: I'll Be Slaying You (Paperback)
Really, I'm not trying to be "down" on many paranormal romances but sooo many of them feel like they've been done (and done) before. So...sing along if you know the words:

Girl loses family to a group of (insert paranormal race here - vampires in this instance), carries grudge forever & dedicates life to eradicating vampires (because they're ALL "bad", right?), meets dark & mysterious stranger who helps her (more than once), finds out said stranger is a vampire ("GASP!"), and since I'd end up revealing more of the plot, I'll end it here (but I'm sure you witty readers can guess what happens next).

GAH! I can't stand when heroes and heroines decide ALL vampires (or weres, or fae, or aliens, etc etc) are "BAD" because of a past trauma. It'd be like condeming all of humanity because a relative got killed by a human. Yes, I empathize with the lead character (Sandra aka "Dee") but, *sigh*, it's been done before...and done a bit better (see "Spider's Bite" by Jennifer Estep if you want a well-written female bent on revenge bc of past issues). Sandra's attitue & tough girl act (which consists of a lot of posturing and pushing people away) made it VERY hard to want to root for her. I liked Simon quite a bit, then I got to wondering what HIS deal was if he found women like Sandra so appealing.

Anyway, it wasn't a horrible read, but it sure wasn't anything amazing either.

3.0 out of 5 stars Readable, July 5, 2010
This review is from: I'll Be Slaying You (Paperback)
I had two big problems with this book, first and most important I completely disliked the heroin "Dee" and if this is not enough ,the story itself seems to be done and redone and to cliché. We know that the vampire hunter kickass heroin is a very common formula in the paranormal romance department, but Dee's story was for me very disappointing because I truly like Cynthia Eden writing and I didn't expect "I'll be slaying you" to be just a predictable and ordinary Book.
Altogether the book was not very bad just............readable.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

I'll Be Slaying You
I'll Be Slaying You by Cynthia Eden (Paperback - July 1, 2010)
$18.00 $16.20