Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports

Format: MP3 Music|Change
Price:$8.99

on July 5, 2011
I've been a fan of trailer music for a long time and enjoyed Thomas's work in Two Steps from Hell as well as that of similar artists such as The Immediate. This is my favorite album of the Epic Music genre. Thomas works in a lot of different emotions and character in these songs, and with nineteen songs, there's something for everyone.

Musically speaking, what stands out in Illusions is the use of fantastic female vocalists that will send a shiver down your spine. Latin-type choirs are here, as well, but more judiciously applied than in some of the other trailer-type music that tends to overdo it. Thomas employs pulsing strings, heroic horns, and driving beats, and he uses these to create story-scapes in your mind.

Stand out tracks: Starvation (feels like you're in a mine with scrawny slave children), Ocean Princess (standing on a cliff watching a mighty, rescuing ship pull into view), Homecoming (you've died and gone to heaven. Chills every time. Great medicine for a bad mood), Immortal (a warrior cleaning up on the battlefield) and Age of Gods (Heroes facing down the hordes. The mirroring of the horn and latin choir at the beginning are chill inducing).

There are no bad tracks on the album. Even the ones with a softer touch (Remember Me and Hurt) are a fun listen. Nine bucks is a ridiculously low amount to pay for this much quality music, so enjoy.
on July 4, 2011
I've been following Thomas Bergersen and the amazing epic music he's written for Two Steps From Hell, so I bought this with high expectations. Nevertheless, my mind was blown again and again while listening to this masterpiece. It is stunning - he captures human emotion so perfectly in this aural piece of art, that it takes me places no other music has. When I'm feeling sad/depressed/, I turn on his music, and life seems to be better. When I'm running and need some extra energy to push through to the end, I put on this album, and somehow it gives me the energy I need to complete the run. It is the only music I've listened to for over a week, and I can't stop listening to it - it's more addictive than crack. If you only buy one album in your entire life, buy this.
on July 4, 2011
Well sort of. Thomas Bergersen has composed for the trailer music company Two Steps from Hell for a few years, but this is his first solo album. It's amazing regardless.

What makes this different from Invincible and upcoming Nero, is that it is very themed. Rather than a random selection of the most popular songs. It doesn't feel like it's jumping between styles. It's subtly grand with a hint of epicness the whole way through. It's not Two Steps From Hell, but it's still very good. I wouldn't say that it's better or worse, because it's a different kind of style, but fear not, it still maintains the powerful orchestra.

It's also really nice that the album is only $9. There are 19 songs, and considering the songs span from 3 (mostly 4) to 8 minutes, it makes for a really good deal. And quite honestly, there isn't a single bad song on Illusions. This is one of the albums that you'll listen to several times. Another nice thing about it, is the will probably take decades before it's considered "timed'. For pretty much the same reasons that soundtracks are remembered for so long. I wouldn't be surprised if Thomas Bergersen started scoring for movies and games.
on February 3, 2013
For the unaware, Thomas Bergerson is a composer who formed a partnership with fellow composer Nick Phoenix to start the company Two Steps from Hell specifically to produce music for music and video game trailers. Their resume is too long to list. Lets just say if you've seen any movie trailers for big budget movies in the past five years you have probably been exposed to some of their work.

This disk isn't Two Steps from Hell. It's just Thomas and his music. The inside cover of Illusions carries a message from Thomas. He said that over the past three years whenever he felt he had written something especially special he saved it for this disk.

He was right. This disk is filled with nothing but truly extraordinary music. It is easily better than Skyworld, Archangel, or Invincible. Please don't mistake that last statement as criticism of those three albums. To compare by analogy, if those three were beer they would be Rochefort 6, 8 and 10 respectively. Illusions is Westveletran 12. If you're not a beer nut that's like comparing Colt Pythons from the 1970s, 1960s, and 1950s to a Korth. If you're not a gun nut then I'm running out of suitable comparisons. Lets just leave it at the work he and Nick did with Two Steps from Hell is phenomenal and Illusions is much, much better.

If you are still unsure about buying this disk, step on over to Youtube and do a search. I am sure you will be impressed.
on November 4, 2015
Illusions is a beautiful masterpiece to listen to. It takes you out from this hurting world and brings you to a mysterious place filled with wonder. Homecoming and Gift of Life are high up on my like list for this album. The tracks are flicker from the magical to the haunting to the fantastic. The best thing is that when you are done listening you can take your restful state and help other in the world.
on October 23, 2011
I'm going to keep this review short. I have hundreds of soundtracks, scores, and trailer music albums. This is one of the best of all time. Every track is five stars. You can't go wrong with this one.
on March 9, 2015
This is really great music! There are a lot of vocals throughout the songs that make it unique, and the songs are also very moving and emotional. The vocals make it seem like music for Amazons (Greek warrior women legend!). The variety in moods throughout the songs is wonderful as well. Definitely worth it!
on October 14, 2012
Words cannot begin do describe how well-crafted, diverse, and simply phenomenal this album is. Thomas Bergersen has truly created a masterpiece in modern-classical music! The range of emotions that Mr. Bergersen fleshes out is massive and swings from one end of the spectrum to the other so seamlessly that it seems like each song is a piece to a grand musical puzzle. The best example of this is hearing the intensity and darkness of Femme Fatale followed immediately by the heavenly and uplifting them of Homecoming. Having said that, each piece is still amazing on their own.

Apart from the use of a large variety of instruments from around the world, the excellent placement of electronic sounds (Reborn and Promise), and his ability to keep an 8-minute song interesing to the end (Aura and Illusions), what really drives the music is the amazing group of female vocalists that Mr. Bergersen uses throughout the majority of the album. All of the vocalists do an incredible job of lifting the music to new heights and when backed by a coed choir and a male vocalist in Sonera, some amazing vocal moments are produced (e.g. Ocean Princess and Promise). However, they are also more than capable of leading the song without a choir behind them as shown by the songs Remember Me and Dreammaker.

My only issue with this album is that I cannot find the english translations to any of the songs. I would assume that the lyrics are amazing, but I simply do not know what the translations are. If anybody knows where the lyrics can be found, please let me know because I would love to find them. Otherwise, I would give my highest recommendation in buying this album. Over a short period of time, "Illusions" has certainly become my favorite of all time! Since I bought this album and Two Steps From Hell's "Invincible" I have searched the web to find other music similar to this (Trailer Music, Modern-classical, whatever you may call it) but none of it quite reaches the bar set by Thomas Bergersen's "Illusions". I am excited to see how Thomas Bergersen's repertoire of music will evolve as time passes.

P.S. This is my first review and I would like to hear comments and opinions on this review. I am starting to take an interest in reviewing music and would like some feedback. If you've read everything up to this point, thank you and I hope you like this album!!!
on July 20, 2013
I've always loved Ocean Princess when I heard it on Youtube a couple of years ago (you know how you get to things on Youtube by clicking on a link from a link from a link?). A few days ago, I came across Illusions, and because a few of the songs caught my attention on Youtube, I decided to get the whole album. NO regrets whatsoever. There is absolutely no bad track. If you are a fan of epic trailer music -- or of any evocative orchestral/choral music, for that matter-- you will love this album. I very much look forward to this composer's next output.
on July 18, 2014
Outstanding album, if you like strong, fast paced music, with the occasional softness to it. I bought it as music to play while playing Star Citizen, as it matches perfectly with action and ships flying. Wonderful use of percvussion and voice, very entertaining music, great to drive to as well.