5.0 out of 5 stars A great overview of the history of illustration
This book starts at the earliest cave paintings and gives a satisfyingly broad overview and summation of the significant periods in the history of illustration.. . . .
Published on December 7, 2011 by Synaesthete

1.0 out of 5 stars DISAPPOINTING FOR AN ARTIST
Illustration, A Visual History, is the title; a title the book certainly is not for those who love the art of Illustration.
Published on October 10, 2009 by Professor Emeritus P. Bagnolo

1.0 out of 5 stars DISAPPOINTING FOR AN ARTIST, October 10, 2009
I usually practice due diligence with art books, before buying. Unfortunately, in this case, I did not. I do not buy art books to read the narrative, though I often do read it. In this case, the choices of illustration displayed were the major disappointment. I gave it one star because there was no lower choice.

The examples were those of weak art, and missing was the greatest illustrators and later some of great fine artists of the world. Where is the Brit/Welsh, or Sir Francis (Frank) Brangwyn, or Dean Cornwell, and Norman Rockwell? And where are: JC Leyendecker, NC Wyeth, James Montgomery Flagg, Jesse Wilcox, Charles Dana Gibson, Maxfield Parrish, Frank Frazetta, Harvy Dunn and the Brandy Wine Artists? Where are LaGatta, Thomas Blacksear, Mortimer Wilson, Jon Whitcome, WD Barlowe, Dan Content, , Charles de Feo, Walt Everett, J R Flanagan, Saul Tepper, Pruett Carter, Ralph Pallen ColemanMario Cooper, George E Giguere, Mead Schaeffer, Ann Meisel, D, M. Luzak, Francis Livingston, Al Parker, John Pike, Walt Biggs, , John Scott Willims, Frank E. Schoonover, J Clement Cole, Kay Nielsen , WJ Alward, Albert Beck Wenzell, Eric Pape, Jules Guerin, and Tom Lovell?

Moreover, where are Hodges Soileau, Victor Livoti, Jeff Jones, Brom, Mark English, Howard Terpning, whose newest art sells for Hundreds of Thousands to upwards of $1.5 million? Where are Christopher Fox Payne, Bernie Fuchs, Von Schmidt, Lyman Anderson. Harry Anderson, The ever great-Haddon Sundblum, and where the Hell is R G. Harris, and James Gurney? There is but one black and white pen and ink drawing by Howard Pyle, and a small reproduction of an illustration by J. C. Leyendecker, which the authors wrongly attributed to Norman Rockwell, sitting at the bottom of page 150. An unlikely place for a piece of J. C. Leyendecker art, which is worth a small fortune. They are not present in this book, so how is it, "Illustration, A Visual History?"

This book was for me a waste of money and time and focuses on cartoons and caricatures and other rather primitive and somewhat abstract, or distorted squiggles in ink and weak, flat color. To my taste it displays the fringes of illustration, most of which would never be seen anywhere in my vast collection of artists and art books or hanging on the walls of my home or studio. to me it is a history of junk art, 3rd rate art. VERY disappointing, to say the least.

Don't know about you, but this is NOT my cup of tea, or any cup of anything else.

If you want a great book on Illustrators with outstanding reproductions of at least America's greatest illustrators, all of those I mentioned above and many more, buy instead, THE ILLUSTRATOR IN AMERICA, by Walt Reed and the Society of Illustrators. Now, THAT is a book of Illustrators and the best in anywhere in the world, ever!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great overview of the history of illustration, December 7, 2011
This review is from: Illustration: A Visual History (Hardcover)

5.0 out of 5 stars Text Book in my History of Illustration Class, July 18, 2011
This book is a good guide to past and present illustration. It gives a description and pictures of the different types of styles and I found it very helpful to help me follow along in class.

1.0 out of 5 stars broken back, February 23, 2012
Jean Trout (Baltimore, MD. USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Illustration: A Visual History (Hardcover)
I received "Illustration: A Visual History" to give as a gift. Unfortunately, I gave it without inspecting it and when it was opened, it was discovered that the spine was broken. I sent the book back and asked for a replacement. The replacement finally came and again the spine was broken. I notified Amazon, sent the book back asking for another replacement and received a notice that my credit card account was being credited with the price of the book. This was not what I asked for, and I still haven't been able to resolve this situation with the person to whom I was giving the book. The only reason for one star is the speed with which the book came originally and subsequently when it was replaced.

Illustration: A Visual History
Illustration: A Visual History by Steven Heller (Hardcover - November 1, 2008)
Used & New from: $18.06