Published on January 13, 2008 by Jeff Lippincott

3.0 out of 5 stars Overpriced Little Book
This overgrown pamphlet is filled mostly with stuff you could figure out for yourself by signing up for LinkedIn and giving it a try. The most useful part is the insights at the end of each chapter from experienced users. If this had been priced at $10.00 I could have given it a higher rating.
Published on February 20, 2008 by Shelby H. Swatek

3.0 out of 5 stars Overpriced Little Book, February 20, 2008
Shelby H. Swatek (Simi Valley, CA USA) - See all my reviews

1.0 out of 5 stars Not informative, May 5, 2008
Mikhail Portnov (Mountain View, CA USA) - See all my reviews
When I got the book in my hands the first impression was that it should cost 5-6 bucks - it is very small. Well, the format is not what makes the book informative though, and therefore worth of the money. I started the reading.

Before the book arrived I have spent about 2 hours reading Help on the LinkedIn web site and a few blogs, which I found by searching Google for "LinkedIn Tips".

The book practically does not offer more than I found myself within 2 hours.

5.0 out of 5 stars A short, but helpful, owner's manual for people who want to use LinkedIn as one of their networking or self-promotion tools., January 13, 2008
I liked this book a lot. It does a great job of introducing LinkedIn to the reader. Then it explains how to create a member profile. And then it explains the various features of the Web site. It talks about "LinkedIn Answers" which is why I joined LinkedIn yesterday. And lastly it explains how a member should communicate while using the site so they don't do anything shady or obnoxious which could get them banned from the site.

I have found that books like this one are necessary to help a community Web site find members. People will only join a Web site community if they think there is something for them there, AND it is fairly easy to join and get involved. A book similar to this one [Sell Your Book on Amazon (ISBN: 1432701967)] has proven to be very helpful for people who want to promote themselves by joining Amazon's "reviewer" community. And there are books on how to get involved at Yahoo!, eBay, and MySpace, too.

LinkedIn is a tool, nothing more and nothing less. It is a tool that can be used by different people for different things. Some people (wanta-be employees) treat it as a resume post so other members can find them and offer them jobs or offer to find them jobs. Some people (employers and recruiters) treat it as a database of resumes and use it to find candidates for jobs they need to fill or would like to help fill. While other people treat it as a self-promotion tool for their own company that offers a service or product. I fit into this last category. I plan to become a regular user of the "LinkedIn Answers" function and build a stack of contacts/connections through helping or impressing others.

I thought the book was very well written and outlined. I thought it logically started at Chapter 1 and proceeded fluidly all the way through to Chapter 17. And I liked the order in which the author chose to cover the various topics. He provided much insight into how LinkedIn has benefited him and how he used the site. He was very clear in explaining how important getting contacts/connections is for the member to benefit from using LinkedIn. And he explained about the three levels of connections that are relevant to all members.

I would have liked the book more if more had been written about connecting with other members of LinkedIn. I know Chapter 5 was devoted to this. But that coverage amounted to a mere 7 pages. And the pages in this book are small. My hunch is that this book will not really help the typical job searcher who joins this site to get connected. The typical person will search out people that attended their school. They will search out people that share a common employer with them. Or maybe they will search out people with the same credential they have, i.e., CPA license or bar admission. Or worse, they will search out people they already know, but who can't help them achieve anything. Joining this site is not about getting a stack of contacts/connections. This site is about getting a stack of contacts/connections that can help you be more successful in whatever you are trying to do. Keep this point in mind. It's an important concept to grasp.

My recommendation is to join this site in order to get involved. The more involved you get through "LinkedIn Answers" you will find yourself getting more quality connections. By answering questions you build credibility for yourself. You get known; you're not just a resume. Don't expect LinkedIn to help you find a job if you haven't already built a network before you need a job. Think ahead. If you build your network on LinkedIn now, then it will be there for you to use when the time comes for you to find a new job. Use this book to help you get started in building your network now. 5 stars!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worthy of purchase, May 27, 2008
This publication was a terrible disappointment. It is lacking in substance and, overall, appears to be nothing more than a vanity publication.

Realistically, it never answered the question raised by the title. It offers no guidance in getting value from LinkedIn that doesn't appear within LinkedIn itself. It offers no road map for maximizing the potential of LinkedIn and often addresses points in a circular fashion.

I cannot recommend this publication to anyone at any price.

3.0 out of 5 stars Oh no. Not another networking site!, February 3, 2009
This review is from: I'm on LinkedIn--Now What??? (Second Edition): A Guide to Getting the Most Out of LinkedIn (Paperback)
To tell you the truth, I am not a big fan of networking sites. In fact, I have been told so many times that I NEED to be on these sites that after a while I just block them out. My life is too full of Web applications the way it is to add more useless sites that require you to fill out personal information that I frankly find about as boring as washing dishes. But then maybe my friends ARE right and that is why I picked up this book.

I would be hiding a major reason for reading this book if I didn't tell you up front that it is only about a quarter of an inch thick and I AM a big fan of small books. Thankfully Jason Alba doesn't waste my time giving my all the long, tedious history of LinkedIn but cuts to the chase and begins to tell me how to use this thing to get what I want. But what IS it that I want from LinkedIn?

I could find a job, build contacts for when I next need a job, or just deflate my ego on the paltry amount of contacts that I will actually make on LinkedIn. But after reading for a while I realize that I can more fully "flesh out" my work experiences that would be inappropriate on a regular resume. And instead of being on the outside looking in on finding contacts at major companies, now I can bust down those barriers and create at least a casual acquaintance with some gatekeepers to a more lucrative position.

So if you are at all anything like me, you should at least pick this book up at the bookstore or library and skim through it long enough to learn you just MIGHT need to be on LinkedIn.

4.0 out of 5 stars Especially if you are new to LinkedIn, buy Jason Alba's book., April 1, 2009
Joseph Hollak (California, USA) - See all my reviews
Jason Alba, the CEO and creator of JibberJobber.com, has written a quick-reading, easy to understand primer on LinkedIn.

I'm jumping to the conclusion that you are either using LinkedIn or you are at least familiar with the social networking site. Depending on your experience level with LinkedIn and the completeness of your profile on the site, this book may or may not be helpful to you (see below).

Alba does do a great job with this book and is a must read for the market he is targeting -- though I do get the feeling that Alba knows far more about LinkedIn than what this book was designed to share. By the way, if you are not already following Alba on twitter, you should be because he is a fan and avid user of twitter and you will benefit from following his tweets.

I've seen I'm on LinkedIn--Now What??? (Second Edition) in paperback and eBook / kindle format, so whatever your delivery preference is, it should be easy to find and purchase.

The good news is, it is a quick read and has great basic information. Alba is honest enough to mention what he likes and what he does not like about the site, which is sometimes rare in a review.

Who this book IS for:

1) Those of you brand new to LinkedIn.

* You may or may not have a profile yet and want to learn more about the site.

2) You have a profile but are still not utilizing 100% of what the site can do for you.

* If you have a profile yet it isn't 100% complete, you don't seem to have many or any connections and you have never explored some of the additional features on LinkedIn such as Answers, Groups, Recommendations, Applications, etc.

This book IS NOT for:

1) Those who understand LinkedIn already.

* If you currently have a full profile on LinkedIn, find adding connections understandable and may have received or given a few recommendations, then this book is not advanced enough for you.

2) Those who are looking to take personal branding to another level with LinkedIn.

* Alba touches on personal branding but only in a sentence or two. If you are looking for more personal branding advice, I would recommend reading the classic in this niche, Career Distinction: Stand Out by Building Your Brand instead.

3) Those who want advanced LinkedIn training.

* If you are comfortably navigating LinkedIn already, making connections, answering community questions and sitting with a 100% complete profile, then in my opinion, this book will be too basic for you.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not much substance, May 27, 2009
If you are totally new to the concepts of social networks on the internet and don't know how to use help files, forums, listservs, Google or other search engines, you might want to consider this thin, poorly written, expensive book.

"I'm on LinkedIn - Now What???" is oriented to job seekers. It promotes buzzword concepts like "personal branding".

It presents bare bones instructions on how to fill out the LinkeIn Profile, cautions you against trying to just build up a collection of links to people you don't know and so on.

There is nothing in the book that you couldn't find elsewhere with a few minutes of reading the LinkedIn help files or any of the multitudinous online sources about using LinkedIn.

Overall, the book is poorly written and tries to make something out of nothing. Judge for yourself the value of statements like "There are pros and cons to open and closed networking strategies - you need to determine what is best for you". Or how about "The degrees of separation measurement is helpful, but it's just one metric. Don't confuse the size, width or depth of your network with the strength." Prose like this reminds me of the old "Kung Fu" series on television.

The design on the book is poor: it looks like it was composed in a word processor.

"I'm on LinkedIn - Now What?" might offer value to someone who is utterly unfamiliar with social networks of any kind and doesn't like reading help files, forums, listservs and the like.

I obviously don't think there's much substance here and think the book is way overpriced for what very little it provides.

Jerry

1.0 out of 5 stars I'm on LinkedIn did not provide any insight., May 19, 2008
I purchased "I'm on LinkedIn--Now Whatt???" with the expectation of learning advanced techniques. Although this book offers answers to basic user questions, I was disappointed with the book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Brief Introduction to LinkedIn for Newbies, February 25, 2009
This is a very short book, mainly useful if you're completely new to LinkedIn. If you've used LinkedIn for any length of time, I think you'd find relatively little useful information in this book, and at this price it represents rather poor value for money. Having said that, the book is well written, and has the advantage of being easy to read in a short time.

For me the most useful chapters are the one about organizing your profile, and the one about companies and how to get information about them. There are also some useful links to websites, and the chapter summaries are a handy inclusion.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too Basic for Professionals, November 24, 2009
This book is small and written in casual narrative style that is appropriate for some. But for most professionals this is too basic, and the information provided can be readily found in any number of articles posted free on the web.

Used & New from: $0.01