Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: I'm No Dummy
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Format: DVD|Change

on March 24, 2010
I don't get the negative criticisms offered by some of these other reviewers in being disappointed that this is not Jeff Dunham concert movie. I'm not sure why anyone would have that expectation (there's two other people mentioned and shown on the cover and it is specifically described as a documentary). Those criticisms are way off base.

What this video is is a GREAT (and very funny) documentary on the art of ventriloquism that showcases MANY great and talented vents, past and present, with clips taken from television, movies, and in live performance. Prior to viewing this film I was aware of ventriloquism (as a kid I got a Lester doll for X-mas one year) but I had no idea that it was truly an art-form. This film gave me a great appreciation for the scope of talents necessary to be a successful vent beyond the ability to throw your voice. These people are comedians, puppeteers, and illusionists all rolled up into one! The film left me hungry to see more vents at work and made me aware that there are other extremely talented people practicing this art besides Jeff Dunham (Jay Johnson is a genius).

See it!
on July 8, 2012
And that we didn't let the negative comments affect the decision to purchase this product. Please, people, take the time to read the item description. It clearly states this DVD is NOT two hours of non stop stand up comedy routines featuring ONLY Jeff Dunham. What this DVD is: a superb, enchanting, and very entertaining look into the world of ventriloquism. Yes, there are stand up routines shown and they are quite hilarious BUT this movie also delves into the hard work and the long road to success of these imaginative artists. With commentary and insights from the best in the business to displaying the tricks of the trade, this DVD is well worth the money. TWO THUMBS UP !!!
Ever since I was a child of the 80's, I was fascinated by puppets and ventriloquism. I suppose in an era without fancy special effects in movies, the Internet, cell phones and other distractions that keep us occupied today, these things were a lot more magical. And yet I'M NO DUMMY reminds you of where this business has been with the great pioneers of the art form that has sadly seen a decline in the 21st Century.

Thankfully we have some very talented people carrying the torch for ventriloquism in the modern age like Jeff Dunham, Jay Johnson and others who tell their behind the scenes story about how they got interested in doing this as their career. You really get the sense that about 3-4 people inspired a whole new generation of would-be ventriloquists and after watching this DVD you'll be hopeful that the next generation of ventriloquists are being inspired even now. The end of I'M NO DUMMY left you wondering about the future of this industry and there were mixed reactions. Jeff Dunham said it best when he noted that audiences just want to laugh and be entertained and that performers need to keep their act current to stay relevant (something he does brilliantly).

Classic clips of ventriloquism are sprinkled throughout this DVD which makes it a treasure trove for ventriloquist junkies. When you watch the old school performers doing their thing, you realize how enormously talented they really were. No wonder people wanted to see these acts over and over again in person and on The Ed Sullivan Show. The only thing missing from this fine documentary-styled fIlm was the inclusion of one of the biggest breakthrough acts on the Las Vegas strip who made his name winning America's Got Talent as a ventriloquist--Terry Fador. Sure, they mentioned him in the closing credits, but he should have been right up there with Dunham, Johnson, etal.

If you're a fan of ventriloquism and want to get to know your favorite performers past and present on a more intimate level, then get I'M NO DUMMY.
on June 1, 2011
This was a very funny and educational video. I didn't know much about ventriloquism. I'll watch it again just for the laughs. I didn't know there is a museum of dummies and their puppeteers. I would definately want others to buy this not only for the laughs but for learning about ventriloquism.I'm No Dummy
on April 11, 2010
Before watching this DVD, I really had no idea what ventriloquism was about or how much effort it took to practice the art form. It really did provide a well-rounded scope of the aspects of ventriloquism and how it has changed since its inception. I thought that the clips that they had from the Dick Van Dyke show and other black and white clips were amazing. I had no idea about the complexities of incorporating a puppet into a stand-up act. I would definitely recommend this to people who are interested in learning about different types of comedy.
on April 11, 2010
Ventriloquism isn't something that would usually hold my interest. However, I had no idea of the diverse world that lies behind it! I found "I'm No Dummy" to be very informative, as well as entertaining. I have to be honest, I really always considered ventriloquism to be directed more towards children (I blame it on Lambchop), however, after watching this DVD, I have way more respect for the art of ventriloquism, and the comedians that take it on!
on March 14, 2010
I saw this film in NYC. The audience was packed with all ages and the movie got a resounding 'thumbs up'. It is not a movie about one person but rather an explaination and the history of this art form. It is very funny in parts while informative in others. The old footage was wonderful to watch. This movie is absolutely worth watching and I recommed it to all - young and old alike.
on June 28, 2011
Ventriliquism is a difficult art. Jeff Dunham is a master. It gives you a sence of being a fly inside his brain. The Audiance response just shows you his vast talent for comedy and puppets. This completes my collection of his CD's and I am going to a show as soon as he gets within driving distance. Jeff shows you how he makes his friends and tells you how he tests his material. Using his real life experience makes it hit home. This is a wonderful way to end a tough day...You'll Howl...Highly Recommend
on October 7, 2012
This is a very well made 86 minutes documentary about ventriloquism and ventriloquists.

It's NOT(!) a compilation of complete Jeff Dunham and other ventriloquists' sketches, and anyone looking for such a DVD should pick other available titles, otherwise you'll end up giving it an unjustifiable bad review as so many who failed to read the product description have done here.

The film contains interviews with many ventriloquists, including Jeff Dunham, Jay Johnson (Chuck & Bob from Soap) and Lynn Trefzger, along with less known ones and with vent historian Tom Ladshaw.
It serves as a tribute to the pillars of this astonishing form of art, including archive footage as early as the 1930's.

The format is roughly :a short interview (thankfully interviewee only) followed by a short excerpt of a sketch that illustrates the points discussed by the interviewee.

Very good job done by the editor/producer/director.

Some of the archive footage is understandably in low B&W quality, but still enjoyable and serves the purpose of the film.

My only complaint, and thus the 4 star rating, is the total lack of subtitles.

In many parts of the DVD this is a real drawback, where audio is not as clear as in regular DVD's, both because of the nature of this art form, and the archive footage quality.

The 2 Q&A panels at the bonus part of the DVD are barely audible, and I could hardly understand a word even after increasing the volume more than twofold. Subtitles would have made this a perfect 5 stars product. Pity it's still not a standard feature on DVD productions.

Bottom line - highly recommended to anyone who wants to delve a bit in this fascinating art form.
Virtually EVERY, notable, ventriloquist --- living, and, dead [via film clips] --- are seen in this loving tribute to a dying art.
This is NOT a Jeff Dunham comedy, though he is one of the many featured masters of the art. the QUICKEST 90 minutes
I ever spent.

By the way, those of us old enough to have experienced childhood in the '50s will R=E=A=L=L=Y enjoy this! I bought
this from a source that sells products on the way to the boneyard: Publishers' Clearing House... glad I didn't miss it.

It's MUCH cheaper here at Amazon.Com. And I might add, the video and audio are almost Bluray-like!