5.0 out of 5 stars Great Story Teller!
Published on October 22, 2010 by impalaballing64

3.0 out of 5 stars Just stories about his life.
Published on September 11, 2011 by P. Greer

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Story Teller!, October 22, 2010
This review is from: I'm Not High: (But I've Got a Lot of Crazy Stories about Life as a Goat Boy, a Dad, and a Spiritual Warrior) (Hardcover)
Just a great read. Jim is a great story teller with a lot of funny and serious tales about his life. Jim proves to be a true family man despite hanging out with big stars such as Lars from Metallica and Dave Chappelle. Breuer also reminisces about one of the most memorable skits in SNL history where Joe Pesci and Robert De Niro make an appearance. Jim brings his stories to life while on air on The Howard Stern Show and Opie and Anthony on Sirius/XM which is where I discovered the genius of Jim Breuer

5.0 out of 5 stars A comedian who is a great writer and story teller? It's more likely than you think., October 7, 2010
If you're like me, you've probably read a few of your favorite people's biographies, and probably found them lackluster. You feel you might as well have just read their wikipedia page, and when they do get to dish on something new, they are constantly kissing other people's asses. "Working with so and so was so wonderful, I have nothing else to say." Alright then.

And nothing is worse than you can tell it wasn't actually written by the person in question, rather by someone else as relayed to them.

Breuer's book is nothing like those wastes of trees. It's honest (stories about him almost being aborted and cleaning up after his father are right from the get-go,) funny, and incredibly well written.

Have you ever read the Harry Potter novels, where despite their length, they are so well crafted that the words almost read themselves and the pages fly by? The same is with Breuer's book: it's like you've sat down with him and are hearing the stories from his mouth.

Forget all you know about books written by comedians or celebrities. This is a damn good read.

P.S. I don't work for the publisher, by the way, and don't personally know Breuer. My 5 stars is honest. I've heard him on Opie and Anthony over the years, and found his story telling to be amazing. Definitely youtube clips of him if you're still on the fence. Anything involving Pizza Man.

5.0 out of 5 stars HUGE FAN, November 3, 2010
I have been a fan of Jim Breuer since his SNL days. I am a SiriusXM subscriber as well. I always laugh hysterically when he is interviewed by Howard Stern. I have always thought Jim was funny, but after reading his book I now know he not only funny but a great person. Jims seems to be the everyday guy grateful for his success and appreciative of everything he has in life. When I was reading the chapter when he was in LA doing a pilot I was actually rooting for him and felt as though I was going through the struggle with him. You can't help but become emotionally invested in this book. I am glad I bought and I have recommended to several people. You will not regret purchasing this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A uniquely funny, surprisingly powerful, and well written celebrity memoir., October 13, 2010
As somebody mentioned above, I too am often tempted to pick up memoirs written by my favorite comedians, actors, and/or musicians. Aside from a select few, most of them...well...suck. They are poorly written, loosely conceptualized, and often times feel rushed to completion. With that said, Jim Breuer's seems to break the mold.

I must say that I have not yet finished the book. In fact, I haven't even finished half of it. But it's been such a refreshing experience for me that I just had to tell somebody. It's made me laugh, it's made me cry (not literally, but you know what I mean), and it's made me think. Jim is such a great story teller, and more importantly, he's got interesting stories to tell. His take on the whole "spirituality vs. religion" idea is quite poignant and his reminiscing of old childhood memories is done with an almost aspergers like level of detail.

I want to end this review so I can get back to reading, but let me just tell you it's a surprisingly well written book (no co-author to my knowledge) with a sharp wit, powerful message, and a level of honesty and self realization most of us could only dream of one day achieving. I would proudly display this book along side authors like David Sedaris, Chuck Klosterman, and Augusten Burroughs. I'm not saying he's as good a writer as those guys, but he's made a valiant effort here.

Oh, one last thing. This book is funny - both chuckle to yourself funny, and even laugh out loud funny at times - without using the common "setup/punchline" technique most comedians often resort to when attempting to translate their stand up routines to paper.

3.0 out of 5 stars Just stories about his life., September 11, 2011
P. Greer (Chattanooga, TN) - See all my reviews
This is such a hard book to review. I think I was expecting it to be filled with humor and it was not. It was really just Jim Breuer telling you stories about his life. They were fairly interesting, but not necessarily entertaining. He seems like a nice guy, but these are the kind of stories that I would find interesting if they were coming from a close friend, not from someone I've never met. The other thing that got old fast was how many times he was "smoking hot", how many times he "totally smoked a room", how many times "the crowd roared", how many times he "killed it", "nailed it", was "awesome".

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent book but missing key stuff, January 20, 2012
I think Jim is a great comedian and is an awesome person in general. I was looking forward to reading the book when it came out and I gotta say that I am so-so on it. It is basically summed up into a few parts. He talks about his early life, when he got into standup, his on screen years and finishes it off with his family. I think he went into his family life wayyyy too much in the book and skipped out on alot of his years in the 90s with SNL and half baked. In fact in the grand scheme of things he just glances over the stuff I wanted to hear about the most and goes over the face that he is now a family man and had to clean up his comedy.

Come on Jim, it feels like you had to keep the book clean for the family and I don't like that. I want to hear the nitty gritty and it was skipped over.

If you want to delve into Jim's earlier childhood (which I liked) and into his now present life then I would recommend this book. However, if you want a no-hold's barred look into what was really going on then I would stay away. Decent read, I would give it a C.

5.0 out of 5 stars Do yourself a favor and get the audio version., January 14, 2011
babybanchie "babybanchie" (Mesa, Arizona United States) - See all my reviews
I really enjoyed this book, but I bought the audio version that Jim Breuer narrarated himself. I can't imagine READING this book. So much of this book would easily get lost on the printed page because of his impressions and emotions. To be completely honest I don't think he was reading the book, he may have used it as an outline but he NEVER seemed to be reading. He sounded like he was just telling stories and I was completely hooked from start to finish. I loved hearing his impressions and the stories from SNL(the Rudy Giuliani story stood out for me), and his homelife. I you like Jimmy you need to LISTEN to this book don't bother with a paperback.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Just For Stern Fans, October 8, 2010
Jim Breuer is always a hilarious guest on The Howard Stern show, but you don't have to be a listener to appreciate this book.

The stories are sometimes funny, sometimes poignant, and all very entertaining. Listening to Jim as a guest over the years, he seemed to be a great human being as well as a great comedian and I only liked him more after reading his book. He's spiritual without being obnoxious, funny without being mean, and gives alot of juicy insights into Saturday Night Live and an overall view of life as a struggling - and ultimately successful - comedian.

Fun, easy, interesting read that I highly recommend. Best of luck, Jim!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Half Baked but not half bad...., November 7, 2011
E. Voit (Jeannette, PA USA) - See all my reviews
Buying this book, I thought I get an inside look the crazy stoned guy from Half-Baked, but I was wrong and was pleasantly surprised. Although there are many hijinks when he was living the SNL days, overall, Bruer is a family guy who is very spiritual and shares tells of karma and fate - loves heavy metal, Star Wars and everything else anyone who grew up in the 80s was in to.

Its not all comedy but when its serious, it gets heavy and really makes you think about yourself and your own family. This is a guy who was tempted by the scary fate of many SNL cast members, yet pulled through and turned out to be a faithful husband and loving father.

Many times you'll find yourself laughing hysterically, like when he talks about his dad, but you will also look forward to the chapters of a more senstive nature. His relationships with many successful comedians and stars today is honest and direct. He'll leave you wanting more and from hearing him on his Sirius show and Howard Stern, he certainly has more to offer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Honest, funny and full of humanity...great summer read!, August 12, 2011
Loved this book and think it has something for everyone. Give it a try! Best message I've heard in a long time. Thank you Jim!