Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: I'm Over All That: And Other Confessions
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it The Pop Ups Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

****
This is a delightful book written in a conversational style as the author ponders life and the wisdom she has gained after 76 years; the book is filled with entertaining anecdotes that illustrate her points. It is unflinchingly honest and witty.

There are 50 chapters, many of them short, each a discussion of one idea the author wants to expand upon. My favorites are: "I Am Over Fear Taught In the Name of Religion" (Did you know that Shirley MacLaine discussed religious matters with Mother Theresa?), "I'm Over Feeling I Need My Family Around Me At Thanksgiving And Christmas" (an understandingly very short chapter!), "I'm Over Being Polite To People With Closed Minds", and "I Wonder If I Will Be Over The Drama Of 2012".

The author muses about such diverse subjects as terrorism and airline security and TSA, her experiences of past lives (of course) and her interest in UFO's (again, of course), homeopathy, "smalk" (otherwise known as "small talk", fame and celebrity, the Founding Fathers, 2012, and so much more.

I enjoyed that Shirley MacLaine doesn't bow to social expectations. I was entertained to read how she defines her life and lives as she wants to. I was impressed that she has lived a full and fascinating life by constantly surmounting her fears.

This is a fine and provocative celebrity memoir, and whether or not you agree with the author's beliefs, you will certainly find her book interesting!

Recommended.
****
11 comment| 146 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Shirley MacLaine has lived her life following her own dreams and dreams of her other beings, and she has no apologies for that. In fact, she is so over that! What others say about her play no part in her life. She came to the fork in the road and took the one she wanted. She has learned to ease up on her worries, fears, anxieties, anger and has become free of expectations of others. I am so with her.

Shirley Maclaine is well known for her many and varied views. She backs up all of her beliefs with her experiences in life. Some of her views are extreme to many of the masses, but that does not worry Shirley. She knows she is ten years ahead of the rest of us. Her life has become a culmination of searching for what is real in life and what has been, and how she has grown. The one worry she does have is wondering if it is healthy in becoming a reclusive, happy older woman. She doesn't worry about being seen, fashion, being socially acceptable, and being on the A-list. She does have a sense of curiosity, and she will never get over asking 'Why'? And, she believes that we are all seeking to find what it is that fills our loneliness, 'The Big Truth'. But, to get to the Big Truth we have a lot to get over, and Shirley Maclaine is going to help us understand.

This is such a well written, humorous but serious book. It may be one of her best. The experience and wisdom of her years is well worth reading. She has separated her book into 50 chapters. Some on which she is so over and others on how she will never or does not want to get over. Each chapter is filled with stories of her life. She does give name some names of her past lovers, and why they so excited her. Much of the book is written about her mystical experiences and her past lives. The older I get the more I believe that I have been there, done that, a little more than deja vous. Her dog, Terry, is one of the most important relationships in her life. She tells us she has finally learned unconditional love. One chapter that spoke to me is that of getting over people who have closed minds. It is a no win situation and just builds up frustration. Shirley believes that close mindedness is the loss of remembering who we really are and has a base in fear of the unknown. She is so over conservatives and liberals. Everyone has a belief system and it changes and waxes and wanes as we mature. She is not over having her hair colored, however. Why do I so relate to that? And, she is not over yet. Shirley has much to do. She loves her life, she has a one woman show. She has Spiritual boot camps at her ranch in New Mexico. And, she says our own perfection is yet to be reached, but that is what gives us purpose in life.

The book is all over the place, but it is highly entertaining. Just as you are absorbing the unusual, she says something that is more astounding, but somehow rings true. I was constantly amazed, and this is a page turner. It is also a book that keeps your mind moving and re-thinking your own perceptions. I like to think I have an open mind and want to learn all I can. Shirley Maclaine is way ahead of me and always has been. But she is willing to share. And one power I wish I had is this, "Often I ask my Higher Self which way to go in a traffic jam."

Highly Recommended. prisrob 04-12-11

The Camino : A Journey of the Spirit

Sage-ing While Age-ing
44 comments| 74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon April 13, 2011
Shirley MacLaine captured the minds and heart of millions of fans by some of her best performances in several Hollywood movies, especially the Academy award winning movie "Apartment" with Jack Lemmon. In this book she shares very intimate and somewhat controversial ideas of life, but this is not unexpected from Shirley as she always has been a social revolutionary. She says that she has learned to ease up on worry, scheming for films or roles, planning for better surroundings, and feeling anger at American leaders who operate politically rather than humanely. She says; she is getting freer from the expectations of the external world. In fact, the one worry she can't seem to give up and get over is the fear of being lonely. Her thoughts, at times becomes quite intense and metaphysical; when she observes that she has found that people are looking for something to fill the loneliness inside them; It doesn't matter how wealthy or well situated they are, the thought turns to why are we here, what is the point of life, is God real, are we alone in the universe?

When she was in 50s, MacLaine says that she was unhappy at getting a lot of grandmother roles, even though in her own mind, she is still young and bouncy. She speaks very candidly about her best friend Elizabeth Taylor, whom she calls, a very down-to-earth person, loyal, funny and a woman to be adored completely. MacLaine is honest about open marriage, sex and living fully. She insists that having an open mind about life is helpful. She admits she had had "an awful lot of lovers". She often fell for the leading men she worked with, although she wasn't attracted to Jack Lemmon, her co-star in The Apartment, because he was too nice, or Jack Nicholson, whom she starred with in Terms of Endearment, because he was too dangerous.

MacLaine is tremendously talented and a gifted woman who shares her ideas about everything that matters, from religion to politics and philosophy. Reading her story is a joy.

1. Out on a Leash: Exploring the Nature of Reality and Love
2. The Camino : A Journey of the Spirit
3. My Lucky Stars: A Hollywood Memoir
4. Going Within
5. Sage-ing While Age-ing
on April 26, 2011
This is the first book I have read of Shirley Maclaine's. I purchased it after seeing her promote this latest book on various talk shows. She is an interesting person for sure..Some people perceive her as a little kooky..
I don't agree with all her concepts but some things she writes makes some sense.
A quick and decent read anyway.
on May 24, 2011
Shirley MacLaine's newest book, "Im Over All That,etc" is really funny. It's the kind of book that makes you laugh out loud and say "OH, that's so true.I like her philosophy on life and have enjoyed a lot of her books in the past about reincarnation, beings from other planets, etc. I enjoy Shirley MacLaine but if you don't, you might not like this book. This is all about Shirley and the way she's lived her life. I saw her interview on Oprah which made me want to get this new book because she's so hilarious. She's also lived an independent life, traveled alone, and had the kind of lifestyle I admire.
VINE VOICEon April 27, 2011
Nothing earth-shattering here - just a relaxed conversation with a 76-year-old worldly woman. She has travelled and co-mingled with many people at many levels, and still maintains her sense of humor and a healthy approach to this thing called life. Many of the chapters deal with sex and power, and how well we know, they are aphrodisiacs - the author cops out to having sex with three different men in one day. Many of the big names of Hollywood are discussed, Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Jack BLack,Marlene Dietrich, Alfred Hitchcok, Marilyn Monroe, and of course, many polticians, including the Kennedy men. She comes across as the typical Hollywood liberal, and seems to have an easy answer for all the world's ills. This is a good book for conversation starters - I liked it.
on September 23, 2012
I have always loved Shirley MacLaines books. She is a terrific writer. They always keep my interest.
If you are new to her or her writing, I would suggest reading some of her other books before tackling this one. Otherwise, some of her subjects may seem off the wall, or just confusing if you do not know a little of the back story. I did find this to be one of her most negative books. Not that it was bad, but as the title suggests, she tells you the things in life that she is 'just over'. Like worrying about how she dresses to impress the Hollywood community.
Was it my favorite book of hers? No. But in saying that, I still liked it, I am still a fan of her books, and still find 'listening' to what she has to say, interesting.
on April 21, 2011
i liked it when she talked about things we can all relate to, like buying things we can't open or the rudeness and entitlement of the youngest generation. As for the Lemurian (or pre Atlantis) period or Aksenic records, that's for the birds and she knows it so when it gets too heavy, here she comes with all that, although there is a good story about Nehru saying maybe her grandmother was a fly so don't kill it. She doesn't dish her lovers, at least the political ones, such as Palme, Peacock and Trudeau although it's unclear why she doesn't talk about Palme's murder on the street in Stockholm in 86 but talks of meeting him constantly in what she calls the "Orient." She's a dyed in the wool liberal and very much a grande dame although she does seem intent on abandoning pretense, as she avoids the red carpet probably every bit as much as it may avoid her. Good she's just like she always was but better now.
on December 18, 2012
As a young dancer I have always been a fan of Shirley. As an adult I enjoy reading about some of her adventures and decided to check this one out because I too have found myself saying a lot of "none of that silly stuff that you grow up thinking is important, really matters in the end", so I had to see what she had to say. I must say that most of this book I have concluded in my own life and agree with almost all of what she writes. It covers a broad spectrum and is a fast and interesting read.For anyone who questions and realizes that the media is just trying to manipulate the masses just to make money might find this book worth the read, if for no other reason but to realize that there are others out there who like to think for themselves, and never stop questioning everything and always on a quest for knowledge...at any age.
on May 7, 2011
I've read several of MacLaine's books over the years and enjoyed them. While this one may work for someone who hasn't read anything by her, I felt like we were getting some recycled information. There were moments when I chuckled or nodded my head in recognition, but generally I was bored because I felt like I'd "been there and done that" with her before. Also, I happened to read it while reading a couple of other memoirs (Ashley Judd's and Tina Fey's), and MacLaine's writing just fell way short in comparison. New fans and readers would do well do read her earlier books, which are, in my opinion, a lot more interesting.