Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: I'm Too Young To Be Seventy
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Recess Monkey Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

Format: Hardcover|Change

Can Judith Viorst actually be in her seventies? Where have the years gone? I Googled her and, sure enough, Viorst was born in Newark, New Jersey in 1931. Therefore, she is eminently qualified to write this lively book of poetry called, "I'm Too Young to Be Seventy and Other Delusions."

Although I haven't reached seventy yet, I can certainly appreciate Viorst's clever and amusing poems. In "Body Heat," Viorst claims that she and her husband squabble about how hot or cold the house should be. She and Milton are "thermostatically incompatible." I can relate to that. "As Time Goes By" deals with how fast time flies as one grows older. Yes, that's true. In "Teeth," Viorst admits that frequenting the offices of a periodontist and an endodontist is so costly, that dentures would probably be more cost effective. Can't argue with that. In "They May Be Middle Aged, But They're Still My Children," the author decries the fact that her offspring have outgrown their need for motherly advice. What nerve!

Viorst's poems are topical and fun. The author has always been able to laugh at herself, and as we read her poetry, we laugh along with her as we nod in recognition. Judith Viorst gets the fact that, although most people are reluctant to grow old, they desperately want to enjoy the perks of reaching their golden years in good health.

I enjoyed this slim volume and I hope that I will be privileged to reach seventy someday with a smile on my face and a poem in my heart. "I'm Too Young to Be Seventy" would make a fine gift for the beloved septuagenarian in your life.
on February 9, 2009
I turn each decade just about a year after Judith Viorst and, up until turning 70, thoroughly enjoyed each lovely, funny, poignant, sad and uplifiting book in the series. I own every one of the books, starting with the wonderful first book that took me into my third decade. I have given them as gifts to friends, so it really saddens me to say that "I'm Too Young to be Seventy" just lacks the immediacy, the OMG, that is exactly right feel. Perhaps, after six decades of being right on track with each other, Judith and I took different forks in the road, but I don't think so. It just seems that this book tries too hard. Maybe it is a bit too upbeat. Where is the angst for me to cuddle up with? There were a couple of chuckles (not enough), but not a tear to be spilled. One does not turn 70 without a few tears. The book painfully strains, and ususally fails, to capture whatever it is that makes turning 70 what it is, wonderful and really terrible, and most of all, unbelievably and scarily mind-boggling. Yes, yes, condsidering the alternatives and all that, but who really spends much time considering the alternatives. So sad not to enter my Seventies with Judith by my side.
on August 2, 2006
I purchased this book to give to a friend who was retiring at 70. I am glad that I "went through" it before wrapping it. It is a comical book, but does not work for a lady who is not married, has never been married, and has no grandchildren, otherwise a cute gift. Now, I have it in my "gift giving" pile and will wait to find the right person to give it to. In the meantime, I need to find another "funny"for the retiring lady.
on January 21, 2006
My wife and I have enjoyed her books since It's Hard to be Hip Over 30. Time has flown by. Her poems are funny and poignant. She tells it like it is. I hope she and we will be around for the 80's and 90's.
on November 25, 2013
Judith Viorst has been showing me the way forward since her "It's Hard to be Hip Over Thirty" appeared in 1968. "Too Young to Be Seventy" may not be quite as witty as some of her earlier work, and the subject matter is certainly duller. Neither am I, however, and as seventy draws ineluctably nearer, it's nice to know that there are amusing things about it. Many of the poems in this book are sweet and true, but some have a bit bitter in the sweet. Ms. Viorst has always known that we never really grow up inside, at least not to our calendar age, and it is the dissonance between the inner "me" and the outer old lady that gives this book its bite. So does the consciousness that time passes ever faster as we age, and that the toll of age grows apace. But despite a bit of sadness, I still laughed a lot while reading this, and read some of it aloud to my husband. Note: I gave this book to a widowed friend before reading it, and wished that I hadn't -- the lovely (and funny) descriptions of an old marriage could be hard for the bereaved to deal with.
on May 13, 2007
Judith Viorst has been describing the decades as she matures - with humor, understanding, and appreciation of the things lost and gained. My only complaint - the book's too short!
on December 14, 2014
Sweet and sassy, funny and unapologetic - 4/5 stars only because it would be nice to have more content that was more accessible to both genders. It's personal narrative, so it's understandable, but as another review said, it's really directed at a certain type of 70 year old - women who have been married a long time, who have children and grandchildren. That being said, both my parents enjoyed it - after so many years together, they have learned to see things from both perspectives. My thanks to Ms. Viorst for making them laugh!
on June 26, 2007
I bought this book for an older friend turning 70, and -- laughing out loud -- read it before wrapping. It's not only witty (and thoughtful) for those turning 70, but for those of us who will someday reach 70, and have friends of 70.
Sometimes I feel I have grown up with Judith Viorst. She is enough older that her age milestone books are out and available before I turn 30, 40 50, and on.
I first became familiar with her when "Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day" became a favorite of my first son. That must have been in the 1970s, and because the book was not only funny but so very wise about life and all its perplexities, I eventually sought out everything she wrote. I especially recommend "Necessary Losses" from her more serious books.
If you haven't read Viorst, get this for a take on turning 70 with grace and humor. Then read the rest of her books too! Necessary Losses: The Loves, Illusions, Dependencies, and Impossible Expectations That All of Us Have to Give Up in Order to Grow Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day The Tenth Good Thing About Barney Suddenly Sixty And Other Shocks Of Later Life
on February 7, 2014
I have been a fan of hers since she wrote--when she was thirty--that she needed a wife. This continues in the same vein of wry and hilarious insights into decrepitude. She relates what it's like to be in pain, to be ignored, to be superfluous. She's right on. It's a very quick read but one that will have you chuckling throughout. Life's too short not to laugh--and she's so good at it!
on May 24, 2013
This product delivered on the humour of aging. It was purchased for a male friend turning 70. When the book arrived I quickly realized it was designed for women turning 70 - a fact that wasn't noted in the product description.