I'm confused about rice! I know there is something to the idea that carbohydrates are what is behind weight gain, and I know that this must be somewhat close to the truth, because when I stop eating flour and sugar, I feel a lot better and lose weight.

What I can't understand about rice however, is how do Asian peoples eat it as a staple and not gain weight? I don't picture, say, Japanese or Vietnamese people as having weight problems, but they seem to eat rice (and white rice at that) all the time.

How can this be?
asked by D. Cowan on November 24, 2009
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 answers
A
Eh, dunno about the fiber bit. I grew up in Korea and the rice they eat there is as white as rice can get. As a matter of fact, I've seen more people eat brown rice in the United States than in Korea.
S. Bradford answered on March 25, 2010
Comment | 4 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Gary believes that the reason why the Asians do not have as many issues as North Americans is due to the fact that traditionally their diet was very low in sugar. He seems to think that sugar is what kicks off the whole cascade of metabolic issues and that it starts in the womb and affects multiple generations.

I found this information on youtube. His latest webcast was uploaded there. This comment about the sugar was in the Q&A after the presentation itself. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WWCCUPmZcQ&feature=channel

Also the 3 horses of our current apocalypse of modern disease seem to be : wheat, sugar (especially fructuose) and industrial seed oils (PUFA's).
Angelyne answered on September 11, 2010
Comment | 5 of 5 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
You might want to take a look at the "Rice Diet Program" It might help you to understand the rice issue. They do not advocate just any rice. They have a clinic in Durham N.C. for the Rice diet that has been there since the 1930's.
Check it out.
jeanie35 answered on February 5, 2010
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Even though rice is considered a no no by some, it is a staple in the RICE DIET. The doctor who started the Rice Diet in the 1930's did so because he felt that many of the illnesses people have are caused by what we eat. He said it is not what's in the rice that is good, it is what is NOT in the rice. So even though it is not accepted in most diets it seems the carbs in the rice plus the protein in beans(also eaten a LOT in the Rice Diet) slows the blood sugar increase from the carbs in the rice. As far as weight loss is concerned I was on this diet for about two months and lost 24 lbs very easily. They also do not allow salt. It is not a fad diet. Even though it seems restrictive at first, it actually is not....as long as you are not a big meat eater. It has everything I like best.
jeanie35 answered on March 26, 2010
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
It's a good question D. The answer lies in what you mean by "rice". The rice we typically consume has been highly processed, stripping it of most of its fiber. Fiber is one the key factors in terms of weight loss. What fiber does is slow the absorption of sugar into the blood. This keeps your insulin levels from spiking, which in turn keeps your cravings in check, and doesn't trick your body into thinking its starving.

Long story short, the rice people eat in China is far different from what we eat. The fiber has not been stripped and so is much less "bad" for them then our "rice." This is one of the reasons they can eat it and still not be overweight.

Hope that helps!

Victor
Victor Thomas answered on March 3, 2010
Comment | 1 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   Next ›

See all questions about this product