I'm running out of favored authors

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 29 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 2, 2010 9:09:08 AM PDT
J. R. Sutton says:
As an ardent follower of Connelly, Crais, Burke, Leonard, would anyone be kind enough to suggest authors who have created a series of roughly similar quality as these have?

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to suggest someone.

Posted on Nov 2, 2010 9:38:55 AM PDT
Helena Macul says:
There's a Scandinavaian author Jo Nesbo and he is very good. I hope you like his books.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2010 7:11:54 PM PST
M. Latham says:
I love John Sanford - his characters give you the same feeling as Harry Bosch but the scenery is a lot different.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2010 7:41:50 AM PST
Is that James Burke? Have you read Allafair Burke's,(his daughter) books? Good also

Posted on Feb 4, 2011 9:31:16 PM PST
Jessica says:
James Patterson's Alex Cross series is my favorite after Michael Connelly. Jame's Patterson's Michael Bennett series is also good, but he has just recently started that one so there are only about 3 books so far. J.D. Robb's Eve Dallas series is also a good read. J.D. Robb is actually Nora Roberts, but she uses the J.D. Robb pen name for the Eve Dallas series. There are 30+ books in this series, so it should keep you occupied for awhile.

Posted on Feb 5, 2011 10:44:27 AM PST
Maggie Mae says:
My favorite authors of the caliber of Connelly are: Lee Child (Jack Reacher), Vince Flynn (Mitch Rapp), and John Sandford (aka John Camp his real name). Really love their main characters. John Sandford has two story lines that briefly touch. Davenport and Flowers. Both lines are very, very good.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2011 10:47:24 AM PST
Maggie Mae says:
Answered below. Lee Child, Vince Flynn, and John Sandford. I started with Vince Flynn, then found that his favorite author was Lee Child, then John Sandford was suggested to me by a friend, and tried Connelly which was a rousing success. Like you, I am looking for others.

Posted on Feb 6, 2011 8:57:11 AM PST
lauri says:
Hi--Have you tried Martha Grimes--all of her books are great but especially the Richard Jury series--great mysteries but also laugh out loud funny--also John Lescroart, Perri O'Shaughnessy, Jonathan Kellerman, David Balducci, and John Grisham, especially the earlier books, are good--not a series but good reads all the same--he has had some made into movies but the books are way better. As you can see, I spend way too much time with my nose in a book cause this isn't even all the authors I really like--some of them already mentioned as well as the ones you mentioned.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2011 2:33:17 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 6, 2011 2:36:08 PM PST
B.T. says:
My favorite author is (the late) Robert B. Parker, who wrote the Spenser series, from which the 1970s "Spenser for Hire" series developed. His characters are quick-witted, funny and fun to read. His books are not as complicated as Connelly's, but I don't believe that you'll be disappointed!

Posted on Feb 14, 2011 8:42:00 AM PST
J. R. Sutton says:
Thanks all, sounds like we have very similar reading interests, fiction-wise.

On a whim I just finished "The Left-Handed Dollar" by Loren D Estleman. I had no previous knowledge of Mr Estleman, but will be reading more of his work because I enjoyed this one featuring PD Amos Walker, the twentieth to do so.

Someone's been hiding LDE from us, because he has written more than 60 novels, four Shamus awards, five Spur awards for Western fiction, etc. Looks like I'm all set for the next few months.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2011 12:41:06 PM PST
Phillip Margolin is also one of my favorites. Gone, but Not Forgotten is terrific. Enjoy!

Posted on Feb 23, 2011 9:53:39 AM PST
Greg L says:
I recently discovered Michael Wallace, who wrote two terrific thrillers The Righteous and The Devil's Deep. Lee Child is always reliable.

Posted on Feb 23, 2011 9:56:40 AM PST
Jessica says:
Another great author is Greg Isles. His books focus more around a town, and not a specific person, so there is a lot of character overlap throughout his books. Great books and wonderful characters.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2011 6:26:18 PM PST
J. R. Sutton says:
Hi Jerry,
I haven't read Alafair Burke yet. Read some mixed reviews, but will read her at some time.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2011 6:33:04 PM PST
J. R. Sutton says:
Hi M,
Yep, all really enjoyable. Gotta mention though, that Loren Estleman is someone you might want to check out. I started with his latest (really good) and then backed up to his first Shamus Award winner. Two books, totally different. Just now beginning "Retro", his next award winner. Dude is a great writer... can't just fly through the work, have to digest before turning the page.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2011 6:37:36 PM PST
J. R. Sutton says:
Hi Lauri,

Thanks for the suggestions... I like Lescroart also (glad some editor or something provided the pronunciation key for his name), Kellerman, Balducci, Grisham (ditto on the 'early', but have you read "A Painted House"? Very nice.).

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2011 6:42:58 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 23, 2011 6:44:22 PM PST
J. R. Sutton says:
Dear AMR from LA,

Thanks for the lead... I don't think I've sampled Margolin yet. Making a note as we 'speak'.

Posted on May 21, 2011 4:02:30 PM PDT
Suzy B says:
I have just found, and now addicted to, Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch series. I am a huge fan of Grisham, Martini, Baldacci and now, Connelly. I love the intrigue and mystery in their story lines and feel like I already know the character Harry Bosch as well as Paul Madriani. Personally, I prefer novels without illicit sex scenes and over-the-top foul language. Connelly is pushing it a bit for me with the "f-bombs" but I can get past it knowing it helps build Bosch's cop character.
Anyone out there that can offer me more authors that spend more time on intrigue and suspense than on the other garbage?
Thanks!!

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2011 6:24:07 AM PDT
Jessica says:
You should check out James Patterson's Alex Cross series. It is a great series that really pulls you into the story.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2011 7:17:24 AM PDT
Suzy B says:
Great! Thanks for the reply, Jessica!

Posted on Jun 15, 2011 5:14:44 AM PDT
Aussie Barb says:
I just love all of DANIEL SILVA'S books....best read in order so check them out....every book is BETTER than the last and has my heart racing! Very well written...
Protagonist Gabriel Allon is an Israeli assasin...but his cover is an Art Restorer in Venice ....if he is caught nobody will admit his existance.... reading from the beginning you learn about the character's lives and you follow them with interest through each book..I have read them all and have ordered the newest one to arrive in July...can't wait! They are intelligent fast paced books. One was about the "badies " trying to assasinate the Pope ( fiction) and Gabriel steps in. Another one was about terrorism and scared me witles..it was so real ..the characters don't always end up winning and you actually feel as if you know them! The books possibly would stand alone...but like all the books you have mentioned (and I have read) there is a linking thread running through the books and makes the reading even more enjoyable. I'm a great fan..give him a try..you won't be disappointed I promise! His books just get better and better..
Aussie Barb
Aussie Barb

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2011 6:51:42 AM PDT
Suzy B says:
Sounds good! Thanks for posting. One question...the terrorism stuff; is it violently graphic?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2011 6:48:11 PM PDT
Suzy, try the Rizzoli & Isles series. I also am a Harry Bosch lover & find Jane Rizzoli to be a cops cop just like Harry. Don't let the TV series influence you, the books are nothing like it at all. Jane Rizzoli is no Angie Harmon. Mix it up with a little girl power, you won't be sorry with this Tess Gerrison series.

Posted on Jul 19, 2011 4:24:02 AM PDT
J. R. Sutton says:
Latest finds:

Stephen Hunter - Bob Lee Swagger books in order of publication.

Charlie Huston - "Caught Stealing", "Six Bad Things", "A Dangerous Man", in that order. Very good.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 19, 2011 8:29:07 AM PDT
Suzy B says:
Thanks J.R. and Thomas! I appreciate you taking the time to post.
Suzy
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  16
Total posts:  29
Initial post:  Nov 2, 2010
Latest post:  Mar 22, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Reversal (A Lincoln Lawyer Novel)
The Reversal (A Lincoln Lawyer Novel) by Michael Connelly (Hardcover - October 5, 2010)
4.1 out of 5 stars   (971)