Customer Discussions > Release Me forum

I'm so excited!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-19 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 24, 2012 4:57:16 PM PDT
Magic says:
Was hoping for a box-set but this ain't half bad, can't wait! So many treasures here like "Home", "I think It's Going to Rain Today" and "Didn't We" and so many more. Thank you Barbra!

Posted on Aug 28, 2012 7:11:53 PM PDT
There was one error in the description----the reference to "Back To Broadway" as the UNRELEASED sequel to "The Broadway Album" when in fact "Back to Broadway WAS released (but did not include the 2 tracks that appear on the forthcoming album).

I am looking forward to the release of "Release Me." I wish there were more songs on the album.

Posted on Aug 30, 2012 4:57:13 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 30, 2012 4:58:46 PM PDT
Ms. Yasmine says:
Sample song I think it's Going to Rain Today. Don't know if this the version on the Album, but it is from the Columbia Records Channel:

ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmxEwfcU-5o

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2012 2:02:55 AM PDT
Andy Powell says:
The "Glocca Morra" medley is indeed from the original *UNRELEASED* version of BACK TO BROADWAY, recorded in 1988 with arrangements by Rupert Holmes. "Warm All Over" which was included in Barbra's 1991 box-set JUST FOR THE RECORD... was also from these sessions. (The issued version of BACK TO BROADWAY was re-done from scratch and released in 1993.) However, "Home" from THE WIZ was recorded at the sessions for THE BROADWAY ALBUM in 1985.

Posted on Sep 9, 2012 7:35:47 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 9, 2012 7:45:59 PM PDT
Anthony G. says:
I'll be buying this for my Mom in October as one of her birthday gifts. The only problem I have with this release is that she hasn't included brand new songs, along w/ more tracks from the vault. CDs have an 80-minute time-span...why couldn't we have 11 old and 11 new tracks (also released as a double vinyl)? Or a double CD ranging from the 1960s to 2012...I wish she'd get contemporary, like she was in the 1970s...she's become so "standards-oriented" that it betrays the range of things she could do in the present. I'd love her work with other/different writers, producers and arrangers...to do some contemporary R&B, Country, Pop, Rock, Jazz/Chill, Dance, experimental, whatever. It'd be great if she did a song written and produced by Prince...or included some new Barry Gibb material...or got Stevie Nicks to give her one of her unreleased gems from her music vault. Over the last 25 years or so, she's been so "safe" about what she does with her music and voice that she has kind of siphoned her audience to being mostly over-50, and definitely not youthful/contemporary. I wish she'd take risks w/ her sound, voice, music, style, etc. so the masses could see just what she can do in different aural settings. I'll be interested to hear this album, nevertheless...hearing anything from THE BROADWAY ALBUM sessions is worth the price of admission alone.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2012 8:18:44 PM PDT
Magic says:
Anthony,
None of these tracks have ever been released before by Streisand so they'll all be new to us.
Cheers.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2012 8:46:10 PM PDT
Anthony G. says:
True, Marcus. But, none of these tracks were composed or probably recorded in the 21st Century, so they're not "contemporary" or "newly-recorded" songs; they're "unreleased" or "yet-to-be-heard" or "only available as bootlegs". Oddly enough, that can sometimes be even better than brand new material, if the unreleased material all comes from great recording eras/sessions/albums. Yes, anything we haven't been privileged to hear is always a treat when it's an artist of this caliber. I wonder if there will be an accompanying period photo to go w/ each "period" song (i.e. a 1970 picture to go w/ a 1970 song)? That would be very cool. Along w/ liner notes and lyrics. Cheers to you, too!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2012 2:36:43 PM PDT
Andy Powell says:
As a matter of fact, Anthony, one of the songs was indeed recorded in the 21st century -- track 10, "If It's Meant To Be", was recorded for Barbra's most recent album, WHAT MATTERS MOST: BARBRA STREISAND SINGS THE LYRICS OF ALAN AND MARILYN BERGMAN, just a year ago.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2012 3:04:49 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 11, 2012 3:09:04 PM PDT
Anthony G. says:
Good to know. It'll be interesting to compare the deliveries her voice offers in the respective eras.

Posted on Sep 15, 2012 3:00:01 PM PDT
I've been lucky to hear quite a bit of this CD and I am telling anyone sitting on the fence about buying it, do yourself a favor and grab it! This is a remarkable collection highlighting the stunning vocal skill, interpretive brilliance and versatility that only Streisand possesses. You'll hear hair-raising Broadway belting, lilting standards, pop-rock wailing and even a touch of down-home charm. It's a gorgeous collection that reaffirms this singer's unequalled mastery.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2012 4:18:15 PM PDT
Anthony G. says:
Christopher, I am now more intrigued, since that's more of the kind of "diversity" I'd like to hear from her. Yet again, the drawback is, "Why such a limited number of interesting songs"? Probably like her other eras, there must be quadruple the amount of "waiting-in-the-wings" tracks that are probably just as worthy to be "released". From what I've heard, for example, the original theme song track from THE MIRROR HAS TWO FACES soundtrack is very good, and definitely could've graced the LP, along w/ other lost/unreleased/bootleg tracks. Ugh! Perhaps this is the start of something... "'pop-rock wailing'"? That will be something to hear indeed. Maybe she'll finally release an album to match the experimentalism she was attempting in the 1970s, only to retract when certain critics and fans cried "foul". Sad that some people only wanted a Broadway Diva, and not a Pop Singer...

Posted on Sep 19, 2012 5:38:02 PM PDT
Yes, I suppose we should be grateful that so much "Unsung Streisand" is finally being unearthed from the vaults but I do agree with other posters here that Columbia Records/Sony should have coughed up double the number of tracks and presented them in some kind of deluxe boxed edition (as it's been a long time since "Just For The Record" was released). I think it's a pretty safe bet that there will be more rarities forthcoming...Including the entire/extended version of "The King and I Medley" (an abbreviated version made it on to "The Broadway Album"), "A Funny Thing Happened," "Moonfall," "One Day" (from "The Earth Day Special"), a live version of "What Is This Thing Called Love?"..."Frank Mills" (which was released only as a 45 single)...Columbia also issued a rare demo album of the soundtrack of "On a Clear Day You Can See Forever" that includes several wonderful songs cut from the film ("Wait 'Til We're Sixty Five", Jack Nicholson's "Who Is There Among Us Who Knows") and alternate takes of several tunes - including the title song - that are far more elaborate or engaging than the arrangements that ended up on the official released version of the "Clear Day" soundtrack. There are also all of those tracks from the aborted "Belle of 14th Street" album...a snippet of "At The Codfish Ball," "Be Aware," "Let's Start Right Now" and a stunning live version of "The Music That Makes Me Dance" from the Broadway version of "Funny Girl." Let's hope that when Columbia/Sony and Our Lady of Brooklyn get around to releasing the next batch of treasures from the vaults that everyone is feeling a bit more generous.

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 10:50:34 AM PDT
D. Scoggins says:
Personally, I only like Barbra singing from the First Album until around The Way We Were. I like the wild, carefree, showoff of Streisand in her early career before she started the "less is more" in her work. Hitting those high notes with wild abandonment when her eyes would roll back in her head (see My Name Is Barbra TV special). Every song now is perfected to death.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 20, 2012 3:44:24 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 20, 2012 3:51:11 PM PDT
Anthony G. says:
THANK YOU!, D. Scoggins!: Too much "concentrated perfection". I'm a big fan of, among other genres, punk rock, and that just doesn't do it for me. Freewheeling, expressive, spur-of-the-moment vocals knock the heck out of studied, heavily-trained, nuanced, rehersed ones. I can totally appreciate them, but usually the first or second take is the best one...the one when you were just feeling the song, not "crafting" it. I'm hoping we hear that somewhere on the album. I think that's because she "covers" material so much, instead of working on brand new, contemporary music, where you're making it up as you go along. Unfortunately some of her fans back in the 1970s shunned the folksy, experimental Barbra for the Broadway show-woman. Sad to think that she could've probably managed a rock album, a dance album, an R&B album, or even a country album. Personally, I sure hope she doesn't have nerves about venturing into odd territories in 2012...that would continue the loss. The album may be the door opening for more "concerted experimentation".

And Mark Griffin, "Moonfall" SO should've been on this album. I heard it online, and thought, "Why in God's name is THIS not on the album?!" I didn't even know she did a cover of "Frank Mills"...I'll look it up. Sometimes I think the fans have a better grasp of what would be the bigger release than the artists and record companies do. More food for thought.

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 5:52:48 PM PDT
It amazes me that a world class artist decides to release a beautiful batch of "unperfected" material, something she is under no obligation to do, and it unleashes such negativity; bitching about the good old days and why she didn't include specific tracks. Geez, if you only like Streisand's early stuff, then go listen to it instead of coming here to complain about everything she's recorded since 1973--an absurd statement in itself. As for "Moonfall," that is only one of several tracks she can release in the future. She has already said there is enough for a second or even a third collection of this type. Although she neither looks, sounds or acts it, this artist is 70, and for most of us who admire her, we prefer to feel gratitude for this release, and any other work she has in store.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2012 9:18:00 PM PDT
I agree; she seems to just be doing ballad after ballad. It got boring. Maybe her voice just can't be pushed anymore.

Posted on Sep 21, 2012 9:33:49 PM PDT
Anthony G. says:
Well, Christopher, we're in no obligation to purchase this album either. We choose to, because we see the value in its release. I'll put it this way: If we knew for a fact that there could have been 24 songs released instead of 11, and we as fans, or relatives of fans, would be willing to purchase a full-length 80 minute CD, or double CD combo containing said number of songs, why shouldn't we feel that we can express that desire? That's rule number one of being a fan: Knowing who the artist is, and what you want from them...and we can judge them and their material accordingly. And who said that the material for this new album is "unperfected"? I don't think Miss Barbra would release anything that didn't meet her extreme seal of approval...which may explain the paucity of tracks included. And if these are rough-cut gems, I'm even more interested to hear it. I think every person who's contributed to this board is appreciative...since when is wanting more, when there surely is more (as evidenced by the fact that we can all name numerous different would-be tracks), a crime? I think we'll all be at our local Best Buys and Targets (maybe there's a bonus track version from Target?) to get it on its release date either way. Now, I'm actually more interested to hear it, since there's a little buzz/controversy about it, even though this is primarily a gift for a loved one. Keep enjoying good music everyone...

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2012 3:13:26 PM PDT
Just Jake says:
You're right, maybe her voice isn't what it used to be; however, she's become much more of a stylist than a belter in these later years and the fact that she's pulled back her orchestrations and let her voice come to the forefront speaks to the evolution of her musicianship. I like the jazz stylings of her last few albums but I'm so excited to hear her powerful voice hit the high notes once again on these older recordings we've not heard before.

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 3:04:50 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 23, 2012 3:10:03 PM PST
zoden says:
Barbra's vocal range and phrasing have almost completely changed from the time I first heard her when she was 22 years old all the way until I saw her in 2008 on tour. Like all people she has completely changed physically which would by necessity change her voice just in the aging process.
What I will say on the positive side is that she has cut back on the heavy orchestrations and over dubbing she never needed anyway after she left NY.
Once again the pure phrasing comes through, the crispness of her word endings are back..thank G-d the ethereal trailing off into echo chambers seems to have taken a vacation. What she now lacks in octaves she has in stunning sweetness, gentleness and maturity in her instrument. I too loved her early wild raging and rampaging notes never taking a breath, major to minor, breaking all rules of singing performance that shot her to the skys from 1963 to 1967 making her a legend forever in those few years.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Release Me forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  19
Initial post:  Aug 24, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 23, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Release Me
Release Me by Barbra Streisand (Audio CD - 2012)
4.3 out of 5 stars   (337)