5.0 out of 5 stars Best book out there on the subject!
Published on July 13, 2009 by J. Robertson

3.0 out of 5 stars Image Transfer Workshop Review
Published on March 9, 2010 by B. Divin

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book out there on the subject!, July 13, 2009
J. Robertson (Houston, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Image Transfer Workshop: Mixed-Media Techniques for Successful Transfers (Paperback)
I just got this book and read it over the weekend. It is by leaps and bounds the most comprehensive book on the subject of image transfer. It contains all that the others on this topic contain and much, much more. I especially like the trouble shooting suggestions they include on every topic like "why is my image not transferring." I wish it had come out years ago. The artist seem to prefer Golden Acrylic products, but many other brands and products are also covered, particularly where they have a specific niche.

5.0 out of 5 stars A complete resource!, July 29, 2009
This is just what I have been waiting for: a one-stop, comprehensive resource for all my transfer needs & questions. It will be the ONLY book you'll require to create your own sensational work. The book features ample color photographs, step-by-step instructions & an all-important "troubleshooting" section after each technique. A must have for the mixed media artist.

5.0 out of 5 stars The absolute best!!!!!!!!!!!!, July 28, 2009
This book is a must have if you do mixed media art or even if you just want to have tons-o-fun experimenting with these wonderful techniques. Darlene and Sandra have produced the very best book on the market explaining these fabulous procedures. The instructions are VERY clear, understandable, and easy to follow and the troubleshooting sections are incredibly helpful. I've been waiting for this book for a long time and am so happy it's here!

5.0 out of 5 stars THE Manual for Successful Transfers - Many Methods, March 3, 2010
Wow. WOW.

Transfers are a tricky lot. Transfers can be frustrating. One method can produce a perfect transfer once...then never seem to work again. Failed transfers have resulted in many of my pieces being trashed. Even though they are temperamental - and seem to be for everyone - Darlene Olivia McElroy and Sandra Duran Wilson have broken the mold and tamed the wicked ways of transfers. Or at least explained how to make them behave for artists.

With all the problems one encounters while attempting transfers, it's amazing more artists just don't give up. I personally know of many who have. Enter the authors of this book...and your success rate could dramatically rise. Into the stratosphere. You can easily go from hating transfers and not using them - at all...ever - to using them on everything standing still. This book makes that much of a difference.

There are tons of methods depicted. An example of each method is demonstrated in a piece by one of the talented authors. My favorite part? The "Troubleshooting" section. Even with the excellent guidance of these Transfer Divas, you will have transfers go awry. Why? They will explain possible reasons - and then give you solutions! (Can you hear the trumpets sounding?) These gals lay out the necessary supplies, give explicit directions, do incredible step outs, tell you the archival quality of each method, troubleshoot problems, and give you ideas on recommended substrates. What more could you want...seriously??

The Transfer Divas (which is what I've renamed these ladies) even have a section in the back about where to purchase supplies. Schwing! The instructions are simple and doable - and it's exciting to know transfers are actually possible. Whether you have success or need help, the Transfer Divas have a great website set up - and they are accessible. I had a question about one of the products, so I emailed Darlene. She responded with the answer - in just a few hours. Yay!

In case you can't tell, I love this book. I'm excited that transfers are possible. I'm thrilled the directions are easily laid out. I'm enthralled the Transfer Divas took the time to test so many methods, laid them out so clearly, and wrote such an all-around fantastic book. If you find transfers appealing, you must get your hands on this book. Several of the methods use things you most likely already have in your studio - and if you don't, they are easily acquired. I think the most expensive item they use is Yupo paper - and even that isn't horribly expensive.

Transfers lend a great extension to any art piece - having this book will give you options for many methods, and increase your success rate astronomically. Love the Transfer Divas - love the book!!

5.0 out of 5 stars WoW! This is a "Must Have" book !, September 28, 2009
MusingCrow "mzjohansen" (Friday Harbor, WA, United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Whenever I see a new book come out on my favorite technique, image transfers, I simply cannot restrain my fingers from hitting the "buy me now" button. Once in awhile I am disappointed but sometimes I am also totally, unabashedly, thrilled with a book. This book, "Image Transfer Workshop", looked like it was right up my alley and it is ! I LOVE this book. It explores so many different techniques and presents them so well that I would venture to say that this is a "must have" book for anyone who has an interest in image transfers, mixed media, or art quilting. I think it is one of the best books on this subject to come down the proverbial pike in a long time. "Transfers & Altered Images" by Chris Cozen is still a favorite book but is a bit more technique focused because Ms. Cozen is an artist for Golden Paints. Golden Paints are my favorite products to use but it is good to have a book that covers ALL manner of image transfer techniques. This book does that and does it very admirably.The variety of techniques covered in the book is phenomenal . It's a fabulous resource and I think, should be in the library of any mixed media artist! 5 stars on this one ! Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Provides a step-by-step guide for 35 image transfers, October 18, 2009
IMAGE TRANSFER WORKSHOP: MIXED-MEDIA TECHNIQUES FOR SUCCESSFUL TRANSFERS provides a step-by-step guide for 35 image transfers, tips for fixing mishaps, and examples of how to blend transfers into finished pieces of mixed-media art. This approach to techniques and troubleshooting on transfer mediums makes for a key acquisition for any serious arts or crafts collection at all skills levels.

3.0 out of 5 stars Image Transfer Workshop Review, March 9, 2010
Image Transfer Workshop has plenty of good ideas for artmaking. The only complaint I have about the book, is it has limited information about applying image transfers to printmaking plates. It does speak about intaglio, and screenprinting mathods, but the information is brief. I was hoping to fing information about transfering images to lithographic stones or plates, but there is none.

However, there are lots of really useful methods for collage and mixed media artists. Although some of the techniques mentioned are similar they do specify clearly the differences and suitable applications. I have not had a chance to apply any of the methods from the book yet, so experienced based review is not an option. But the book is clearly written, step by step, and frequently includes trouble shooting tips, which is absolutely neccessary for this type of work.

A good read, good technical advice and instruction, reccomend for begginning printmakers, collage artists, craft artists, experimantal photographers, and mixed media artists.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting, very well explained, cool info, March 21, 2012
I bought this book by curiosity, because I wanted to know more about transfer techniques, though I already have many books on the subject, and I already made transfers many times myself. But since the reviews were rather good, I thought it would be interesting for me to read this book.
And I am not disappointed at all. It is really very well explained, they give information I saw nowhere else and some of them are rather original, according to me. I am an arts and crafts teacher myself, and I already wrote a book about arts and crafts in France, so it is rather difficult to surprise me, but I must admit this book is very complete about all the transfer techniques. The only thing I didn't find so far, and maybe I didn't search well, is the basic technique where you use the simple photo transfer paper with your printer. But no need of a book for that, you just have to follow the instructions on the package of the paper.
No, here, you will rather find techniques which make you use products you already have in your studio or in your kitchen.
Everything is clear, so it is easy to understand, for beginners as well as for people who already know what they are doing.
Beside the convincing content, the images are beautiful. You don't need to have the exact same style as what is shown here, but it is pleasant to look at these images, in the same time, learning something interesting and having fun.
So, I recommend this book if you want to know different transfer techniques. And no matter what kind of printer you use, the authors will tell you every time with which kind of printer it works.
I would even say, if you want to only have 1 book about the transfer techniques, this is the one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Informational Book!, July 19, 2010
If you need to know how to make a transfer FROM almost any medium TO almost any medium, this book is the one to get!

I was able to purchase most materials listed in the book in local craft stores, and the rest were readily available online. The authors are most thorough in their explanations, and even include "troubleshooting" tips along the way.

I had encountered a few of these techniques in other books and magazines, but this book really covers a LOT, if not MOST of the techniques available at this time.

One of the best investments, as a mixed-media/assemblage/collage artist that I have made in a long time!

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy Art, January 11, 2010
Wow! I love an instruction book where you can actually follow the instructions and have something worthwhile when you're done! This book is so well put together that once you assemble the list of materials, you're well on your way to creating a piece of art you actually want to share. Mixed media is such a fun process and the Image Transfer Workshop takes all the frustration out of the many different processes. Thanks Darlene and Sandra for all your work!

Image Transfer Workshop: Mixed-Media Techniques for Successful Transfers
Image Transfer Workshop: Mixed-Media Techniques for Successful Transfers by Darlene Olivia McElroy (Paperback - July 30, 2009)
$24.99 $16.43