4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Toy for the Artistic Child

Published on February 10, 2004 by frustrated mom

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Toy for the Artistic Child, January 5, 2001
Michael Thomason (Temple Hill, Kentucky USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Deluxe Pottery Wheel (Toy)
I bought the Pottery Wheel for the 5 and 7 year old boys of my artist friend. Frequently their mother lets them mold her ceramic clay as an afternoon's diversion. The Pottery Wheel seemed to be a logical extension of that activity. The boys loved the gift and couldn't wait to begin. Their first outing was a fantastic family affair. One controled the speed of the wheel while the other worked the clay! Not ideal for the creation of a masterpeice! Geat fun though. Artist mom was pleased with the product and her sons reaction. It is a toy however, not a professional pottery wheel which costs several hundred dollars. The clay must be very soft to work effectively and one cannot create large vases. You can create small cups and bowels. Mom reports the boys are looking forward to their next creative effort.

5.0 out of 5 stars good family activity, January 7, 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Deluxe Pottery Wheel (Toy)
I just bought this for my 5 and 7 year old children. We had already done some coil pots, and this seemed like a nice next step. I think it's great. We all tried the spinning, understanding that it's not easy at first, and each person learned about centering, pulling up the sides, etc. It requires some patience and a good attention span, but it's a wonderful family activity, and what a rewarding finished product!

1.0 out of 5 stars Returning this toy, February 10, 2004
frustrated mom (Eugene, OR United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Deluxe Pottery Wheel (Toy)
We bought this toy for our daughters 8th bithday. She was so excited. We put in 4D batteries. They lasted about 3 min. So we went on a search for an outlet adapter. The company will sell it to you for an additional $16.00. Radio shack doesn't have the right adapter. Another electronics store had the right adapter, but said the company made it a very hard size to find. Then after all of that the wheel stalled and hasen't worked since. So to rate this toy for fun would be hard to do. We haven't even gotten started and the machine is unworkable.

1.0 out of 5 stars AWFUL - AWFUL - AWFUL, February 27, 2004
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Deluxe Pottery Wheel (Toy)
Bought 2 of these for an afternoon in with the kids... (7/4)
The batteries on the box say 4 aa reqd which I bought, actually needed 4 D's (8 in total) Although used an AC Adaptor on one..
Both broke within 20 mins of use (wheel stuck or engine blown) not sure...
Taking them back
Good Idea - poorly produced - prefer to have paid more money for a better product

1.0 out of 5 stars A waste of money, a waste of clay, a waste of time., July 6, 2004
This review is from: Deluxe Pottery Wheel (Toy)
I had been working on a professional potter's wheel for about five or six months when I bought this product so I would be able to work at home on my throwing skills. I wasn't expecting this wheel to match up to anything in the studio I worked with, but I thought it would at least work. Well, the motor is useless, whenever I touched the clay the wheel came to a quick stop. I tried over and over again, but nothing, and I mean nothing, happened. Even with a half-pound of clay the moment my finger touched it the machine just stopped turning. Whatever you do, do not buy this product. It's a complete waste of money.

1.0 out of 5 stars A disservice to children, November 18, 2003
martha wagner (Washington Island, Wisconsin United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Deluxe Pottery Wheel (Toy)
After teaching elementary art in Fairfax County Virginia for 19 years and currently owning a pottery buisness in Door County,Wisconsin, I should have known better. But when my granddaughter wanted a more expensive model of this toy it was hers. Neither she nor I could throw a pot on the wheel. Children can learn to throw a pot on a profesional potter's wheel. All this toy did was set her up for failure. These toy wheels are a disservice to children and should not be sold by a business of your calibre.

1.0 out of 5 stars Please don't bother..., October 17, 2005
ellen770 (deep in the south) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Deluxe Pottery Wheel (Toy)
I am a potter. I find this toy alarming. I tried one at the request of a friend, who was considering it for her child. First off, to successfully work on the potter's wheel, it takes LOTS of practice. It is NOT easy, even if it looks it. The motor on this toy is NOT strong enough, and it is going to be a study in frustration for a child. If you want your child to have the experience of working in clay, sign them up for a local class, or let them do handbuilding. Don't waste your money on this.

1.0 out of 5 stars AWFUL.....!, December 13, 2004
This review is from: Deluxe Pottery Wheel (Toy)
THE PEOPLE WHO MADE THIS TOY HAD A GOOD IDEA IN MIND BUT FAILED TO ACHIEVE SUCCESS.

I THINK SOMETHING LIKE THIS CAN DISCOURAGE A CHILD INTO CREATING ART. IT IS SO TERRIBLY MADE PLUS

THE MODEL I BOUGHT SAID IT CONTAINED GLAZE AND ALL OF THIS OTHER STUFF BUT DID NOT.

TRYING TO GET A REFUND....

DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME HERE.

1.0 out of 5 stars The worst toy I ever had, June 30, 2003
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Deluxe Pottery Wheel (Toy)
I got the toy for my 8th birthday. It was very hard to use and I could never get one thing done by the toy even with some help. My big sister got the same toy 6 years age and she told me it was the worst toy she had. I didn't believe her until I started to play with it. Now it end up I can just play with the dough. It is truly the worst toy I ever got, as well. My mom was wondering why such a bad toy could last so many years in the market.

4.0 out of 5 stars Add AC adaptor and it works great!, July 1, 2006
This review is from: Deluxe Pottery Wheel (Toy)
We got this for my 8 year old daughter. My husband modified the power source and addes an AC adaptor to it and it has enough power now to make pots, cups, vases, etc. My daughter loves it!

ARRAY(0xd818b554)