4.0 out of 5 stars Stately Wayne Manor
Published on June 22, 2012 by John Post

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun, but flimsy.
First, I did not get this on Amazon. At the time, it was going for $50 but the shipper was charging almost $20 for shipping. Not exactly a discount nor a deal. Instead, I went to a local toy store and got it for $40. I had to get this to complete the set. My 4-year-old, being the Batman fan he is, would have it no other way.

Overall, quality-wise, this is...
Published on August 20, 2012 by S. Malik

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun, but flimsy., August 20, 2012
This review is from: Imaginext DC Super Friends Exclusive Gotham City Gotham City Playset (Toy)

Overall, quality-wise, this is a step up from the Gotham City Jail set, but a step down from the Batcave (first generation). The elevator is flimsy and getting it to go up and down requires more effort than the one in the Batcave (forget trying to get it up and down using the action figure in the foot slots, as it requires turning the disc with your fingers. I am going to tinker with it and see if I can find a way to make it go up and down more smoothly).

The other problem is that the break away bank wall doesn't return to a fully closed position after only a few uses. It uses a tension spring to return and it must have lost some of its tension after just a few uses. This is a major flaw for something that is supposed to get so much use. I am sure that FP could have spent a little more time and effort coming up with a better system for a break away wall (even if it meant a couple of extra bucks passed on to the consumer).

Lastly, there isn't a lot of room to move the figures around inside it (and outside as well, for that matter). Again, compared to the GC jail, this is a step up, but not much. I would have liked to have had something more like the Batcave that provides lots of room to move around and folds up for storage. It would make it easier for his little brother (or his dad) to play with him if both want to be "in" the set. Are you listening, FP?

Educationally, I am not sure what they expect him to get out of it. Don't rob banks? Only use Otis elevators? Who knows?

Another poster commented that a figure other than the Joker would have been nice too. I couldn't agree more. Scarecrow? Poison Ivy? Even Alfred. I have Jokers and Penguins and Two-faces coming out of my ears!

Overall, my son loves it, so I guess that's what really matters. As a parent it's a bit disappointing to see the quality of the Imaginext line drop like it has. It's really getting to the point where it isn't worth the price that they ask anymore. I don't expect my review to be your deciding factor, but I just thought you should know what you are in for when you get it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Stately Wayne Manor, June 22, 2012
John Post (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
I got this for my son and he loves it. I, of course, didn't spend anywhere near $70 on it, but got it from the manufacturer direct for $40. It's just as durable as the other Imaginext playsets and contains another Joker. But, the cool part is that it includes a Bruce Wayne who is in a black suit and then he dons the Batman cowl and cape. It's nice to see Mr. Wayne finally get an action figure. We would have preferred an Alfred rather than another (our fourth) Joker, but that's the only complaint.

5.0 out of 5 stars I do love it!, June 9, 2013
C. J. (Flushing, MI United States) - See all my reviews
I've been buying several of the Imaginext Super Hero toys. I have an out-of-state grandchild and also a nearby grandchild who are each loving the Batman toys. I also like to have some at my house. I got Bat Caves for last Christmas and Joker Funhouses for spring birthdays. One of them also has the Gotham City Jail. When I first saw this Gotham City Playset, I didn't have to think twice. It's especially cool if it's the only playset the child has because it's a little bit of everything. There's a bank to break into, a version of the Joker's Funhouse, a jail and some really neat quarters for Batman. One thing everyone loves is that it comes with a Bruce Wayne figure who can don his Batman mask and cape. The included Joker is a new face for that figure. Even if your Batman fan already has one or more playsets, this one fits in very well.

4.0 out of 5 stars The most essential part of our Batman collection, March 11, 2013
William Frantz (San Diego, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I have a love/hate relationship with this set. It is one of several Imaginext kits we own and the Batman collection is definitely a favorite for my 5 year old son. Imaginext are his go-to toys because it affords imaginative playtime with daddy. Gotham City offers the most possibilities for story lines. We have the elaborate bat cave which is impressive, but all the action takes place in Gotham City. You must have Gotham City.

Unfortunately I have several complaints. I see what the designers had in mind with the Bruce/Batman figure and the storage locker for his cowl, but we never use it like that. Likewise the elevator is flimsy to the point of worthless which makes the roof door pointless. The overall fit/finish is marginal.

On the other hand, there are many nice features. We like the Joker hideout with a secret storage compartment for the stolen gold and the secret exit through the wall. The spring loaded, break away bank wall is also very cool and that gets used a lot. In addition to storing the gold, you can also lock-up a bad guy in the bank wall. The louvers with the bat logo serve as a makeshift "bat signal" which Commissioner Gordon activates when the bank is under attack although the bat signal on the bat cave is much better. Finally, the Gotham jail cell is a key feature for wrapping up every story and the Joker always ends up there. Sometimes the Joker will man the gargoyle shaped cannon, but it seems out of place so the cannon rarely enters the story.

This set works well with the Joker Tank which can target the bank wall when the turret is extended. We also have Commissioner Gordon's police car which parks nicely on the far right when the cowl locker is swung out of the way. In fact we exclusively use "Wayne Manor" as the police station for our stories since we have the bat cave. The set with Two Face and the vault is another good addition for Gotham City. The safe sits nicely on the walkway in front of the bank door giving the criminals two objectives when looting the joint. Fortunately, the jail can fit two or even three bad guys.

Lastly, I'll say $50+ seems steep for this toy which ought to be closer to $40.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Imaginext!, June 15, 2012
My son is a huge fan of Imaginext, especially the Batman/DC Superfriends series. He began collecting pieces when he was three and now, at almost seven, he still plays for literally hours. He says that the Gothic City set is awesome, and he LOVES the Bruce Wayne figure. I was glad that they finally made a female character (Cat Woman), though she doesn't come with this set. They need to add more females (Bat Girl, Poison Ivy, Cheetah, Wonder Woman). Also, we'd love it if they made an Alfred and a Dick Grayson. We highly recommend this series for its quality and its educational value (it inspires much creativity).

5.0 out of 5 stars So much fun!!, November 18, 2013
Our 2 1/2 year old grandson will absolutely LOVE this! He already has another batman house as he calls it...but he will just love playing with this one as well! They are very well made!

5.0 out of 5 stars for the grand kids, February 26, 2013
Great product, well built and the kids have been playing with the toy for over two months without anything breaking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Imaginext, February 18, 2013
Love Imaginext toys! Imaginext DC Super Friends Exclusive Gotham City Playset arrived on time, was packaged well and my grandson loves it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Toy, January 13, 2013
I bought for my grandson. He plays with it often and continues to use it every day. He likes the action figures that went with the playset.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gotham City playset is fun, December 30, 2012
Like all Imaginext toys, this is very durable. We have collected a lot of these sets by Imaginext and this is no disappointment. Lots of things to imagine with this one. My son is 4 and plays with this often.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›