Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Imax / Hidden Hawaii [VHS]
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: VHS Tape|Change
Price:$3.07+ $3.99 shipping

on December 30, 2000
IMAX always delivers great movies with even greater scenery. This movie focuses on the scenery that is nearly inacessable to the normal person. It takes you all the way from the edge of volcano at 10,000 feet, to the depths of 4,000 feet under the ocean to watch the newest island being formed.
Hidden Hawaii does show the hidden aspects. It shows you the Silversword flower that only grows in Hawaii, and also the Alula plant that clings to the steepest and highest cliffs. This movie will surely not dissapoint.
The only downfall of the movie, like most IMAX movies, is that it is rather short. It's a great 35 minutes, but I would have loved more.
on February 21, 2003
I am a huge fan of IMAX films on DVD because they all seem to produce a picture quality next to High Definition. This was not the caase with this DVD.Out of all the IMAX films I have seen I have never written about poor picture quality and never expected to. However, this is absoultly the worst transfer to DVD that I have seen for any IMAX fi. It is grainy and blurred at times, and comes nowhere close to the quality I am use to with IMAX DVD. This is the ONLY IMAX DVD I have seen that in my opion is not up to standaard with IMAX film-to-DVD transfer. I am not into the techcal aspects of film transfers but all I can say is I was completly surprised to find grain on this one.Also, the technical aspects states that this is available in "widescreen" and it is not.Regardles of widescreen or not, ALL IMAX films (besides Hidden Hawaii) have a high deffinition quality to them and are the best looking picture quality on DVD available.
on August 16, 2000
I ordered this DVD as I plan to visit Hawaii in November, and wanted to see what I could look foward to. This DVD did not deliver however. It's very cinematic (thanks to the Imax filming) and the music/commentary is good, but don't expect shots of mainland Hawaii or the islands. The DVD is good if you want to know about the botanical and geological aspects of the islands, but not if you are looking for a traveller's guide. The smart money (IMHO) is with the Lonely Planet guide to Hawaii - much more insightful, and more useful. And it lasts considerably longer than 30 minutes!
on October 31, 1999
There are few redeeming qualities I can point to in this very boring presentation. I kept hoping it would just end already. While there are moments of majestic Hawaiian views, they are few and far between. Much time is wasted focusing on a self-important "naturalist" who just tries to show off that he climbs rock faces without a safety line. Please. I wanted more waterfalls and volcanoes, not sedating ego trips. Too late for a refund?
on August 19, 1999
This is a rambling look at natural aspects of Hawaii (all the islands). It is very rambling. The music score is not memorable, the photography is outstanding, as in many IMAX films. I was disappointed. Reader's Digest 'Hawaiian Paradise' laser disc was more interesting and better done.
on October 6, 1999
If you are looking to see a fine and attractive picture on your TV, this one is for you. I enjoyed watching it for the photography but I didn't find the presentation interesting.
on March 31, 2001
I saw the movie seven times at the IMAX theater in Hawaii. I thought was a really fun movie with spectacular imagery, especially when rendered in IMAX. But watching the video, I realize that most of the fun of this movie was in watching it on the giant IMAX screen. The movie should still be interesting for people who haven't seen it before, but it was really meant to be viewed as larger than life, in the way that only IMAX can.
A good movie for fans of Hawaii, and a nice reminder for those who have seen it on the big screen, but if you have the chance, by all means watch it in IMAX. It will blow you away!
on July 16, 2001
I agree with the first viewer. It's better on the big screen- also it is very short. If you really want to experience what it's like to sit on Hawaii's beaches virtually, I'd highly recommend "Hawaiian Dreams." It beautifully captures the different beaches and sunsets on all 6 islands.
on July 5, 2006
I have a large collection of IMAX DVDs. I enjoy them because the video quality is usually stunning. Playing them on my 65 inch screen normally produces a very fine picture. I dont know what happened with the transer on this film, but it is poor at best. Black and shadow areas are filled with artifacts and the overall picture quality is very grainy and rough appearing. The company responsible obviously chose to go the cheap route on the video tranfer. Also, I agree with the previous reviewer about the cliff climbing botanist. Too much time was wasted on this guy climbing a cliff without a line or safety helmet. The whole sequence may have been staged. I cant believe anyone would be so dumb and reckless to do this without some basic protection. This DVD will not be a keeper in my collection.
VINE VOICEon August 17, 2007
I don't see captions on my DVD, but the subtitles are adequate (although no musical description, sounds, etc.). The annoyance was that I had to turn the player OFF when I realized captions weren't showing because simply stopping and restarting the player didn't take me all the way back to that menu.

At any rate, it's pretty close to the kind of Hawaii DVD I was looking for--lots of scenics of flora and fauna. I could have stood more plant and flower pictures, but, then, I guess most of them aren't hidden. :D

I really wish I'd gotten the set with the Alaska production, too.