Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on January 25, 2010
I've been reading Sci-fi for about 40 years now, so it seems like I already own or have read all the good books. I have to keep waiting for new writers to come on the scene or the oldies but goodies to write more stuff. So I delight in finding a new author with a worthwhile story. I got the Kindle for Christmas and decided to try Second Ship as one of my first downloads. I was very pleasantly surprised, but hated the ending, it ended almost mid-paragraph. The second book Immune was also good, and it ended well, still leaving you with the feeling that the story would go on, but not leaving you practically mid-sentence like the first book. I can't wait for the third installment; Wormhole, but there is no pub date for it yet. Its a good read, although the second book is darker, and worthy of a Jack Reacher novel.
33 comments| 70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 9, 2012
While I agree with previous reviewers that this book may not be suitable for younger readers, I found it a better book for adults. The action and plot are on par with adult spy thrillers, and create a riveting novel. I have pre-ordered the 3rd book, Wormhole, and am looking forward to what Richard Phillips does to continue this story.
The first book in the series set the stage and did indeed read more like a young adult book. Building on this, the 2nd novel ties several characters together and adds more villains to keep the reader on the edge of their seat. I bought the 2nd book because I enjoyed the first one, but this far exceeded my expectations.
on November 30, 2010
I found the first book to be a light, fast read with an almost YA feel to it. To say the second book is darker is a big understatement. There are numerous scenes of graphic violence, which was not an issue for me, but might be with some readers. It also took a more determined effort to finish it. As the plot started to deviate more and more from ordinary reality, I found it harder to suspend my disbelief. Also, I found the characters to be more abstract, losing the flesh-and-blood feel they had in the first book. Finally, I found some of the decisions made by the characters not believable. Despite those reservations, I did enjoy the book, though not quite as much as the first one. I will read the third one when it becomes available.
on August 11, 2013
As with the whole "The Rho Agenda", I just thought this was one of the best new science fiction series I have read in a long time. The action was no stop and the characters and their develeopment was great.

Richard Phillips is one of the best science fiction writers to come on the scene!!!!
on February 3, 2013
The story continues in book 2 with pretty good writing and character development. The plot is a bit fantastic and some events are definitely "out there", but still a good story. The teen characters are fun and fairly believable. I really like the funny parents, especially the mom who can't cook to save her life while the other mom is a master cook. The bad guys are realistic except for the Raul who is a bit much as a "Frankenstein" type character (crippled, then driven insane with a re-manufactured body). But then he does add to the story.

It appears the author is either a very good writer or he is having someone check his writing as the spelling and grammar errors are minimal enough to be easily overlooked. The chapters are short, but that is a minor complaint as the book is kind of short too. Each book takes me maybe 3-4 hours but maybe I'm just a fast reader. This is one of the 10-20% of ebooks that is really worth reading. Book one was good too. Looking forward to book 3 which I start this week.

All-in-all, I commend the author for a good job as I am enjoying the series. That is rare with the plethora of Amazon ebooks being thrown out there.
on December 20, 2011
Read both first and second of this series. Excellent reading. I enjoy SFI and intrigue. These two books are excellent for both. First book a bit slow but when it gets going you can't put it down. Had to buy the second and definitely waiting for the final book of the series. I found the second book "Immune" better. You never know or can predict the interaction of the various characters in the story. I strongly recommend these books.
on March 29, 2010
I have been avidly reading books since I was 10 years old. Science fiction was my first love and continued to be so until I was in my early thirties. The first two books I ever read were "Starman Jones" and "The Year When Stardust Fell", and they still remain my favorites. I still have the copy of "The Year When Stardust Fell" that I first read all those years ago. My middle years I found myself gravitating toward military fiction (Tom Clancy). I am 51 now and find that after reading the first two books in the Rho series that I have a renewed love of science fiction. The author kept me riveted to each page and I am so longing that the third in the series were out already. Thanks to Richard Phillips I have found myself back to dreaming of far away worlds and other wordly adventures! Thank you, Richard for bringing me back to my youthful exuberance for science fiction!
on June 1, 2013
This is the second book in "The Rho Agenda" series, and in it author Richard Phillips increases the adrenaline without spending a bit of time bringing the reader back up to speed. As I recall even Edgar Rice Burroughs spent about a paragraph explaining the situation to newcomers in case they hadn't been there previously. For instance, Tarzan was always more comfortable in the wilderness with a blade by his side. But I digress. Phillips' heroes in "Immune," Jennifer, Mark and Heather, have very little time to simply be high school students. Their actions from the first book have them in deep trouble. They found a hidden alien space ship and using its long-dormant systems to enhance their senses and make them aware of a off-earth sentient rivalry with massive implications for global stability. Now their secret is out. The government found their craft and likely will track them down through this ex-friend of theirs who's been sickeningly hooked up to a computer in another space ship (note previously mentioned rivalry, war really) by a sick head scientist with a god complex. They enlist the aid of a disgraced government agent nicknamed the Ripper. The pace doesn't slow down. The one thing that bugged me was the absolute evil of the bad guys. Really nasty. But obviously I liked it.
on November 19, 2012
Wow, what can i say? I don't do a whole lot of reading, but this book series is impossible to put down once you begin. I've read the whole series and I'm enthralled with this universe. I hope the author has more to tell about the characters involved.
on October 30, 2015
If you are a person who enjoys a good read that is not only entertaining, but stimulating to your intellect as well, then you will love this story line of the Rho Project. It is good science and math with a story line based in emerging technological advances and the ever expanding knowledge base that helps us to understand physics and astrophysics. It underlines how we are on the horizons of new understanding about our universe and those around us and how we may interact now and in the not so distant future with them.
It also weaves the classic story line about how there are always some who will try to profit personally from some discovery while keeping back the truth about the whole thing. Kind of like showing you all the bells and whistles and saying nothing about the cost of those bells and whistles. Sadly the author points out the truth behind the fact that our government and those we elect to do what is best for us, don't do that often enough. They become greedy for power and money and throw the rest of us to the wolves. But there are always (thank God for them!!) those few souls who are there for the good of the people and somehow with great personal sacrifices are able to prevail on the side of honesty and goodwill.

Good hero and heroine character development and parallel bad guys also well thought out. It really kept me turning pages well after I should've gone to bed, but I just could not put it down. The characters are likeable and as a fellow geek/nerd), it was nice to see them show their intelligence tempered by the humanity and impulsivity of inevitable teenagers. The author also does an excellent job of making something that is extremely complicated and complex understandable and easier to follow the bouncing ball of how it all fits together. Excellent vocabulary use along with how the science is interwoven so nicely in the story and the characters relationships. It is both relaxing and stimulating at the same time and is one of the few storylines and writing that allows me to do one thing I love most -- to be able to take my mind out for a "little stretch of the synapses"!!
The books are written such that each one can stand alone as an independent story or is enhanced by knowing the history behind motivations and relationships from having read the previous books in this series. I can't wait to start the next one and see where they are going to go from here!!